• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

problem with Premiere Pro CS5 project files bloating

Explorer ,
May 26, 2010 May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had the same problem that we're experiencing? - we have Production Premium CS5 installed on a machine with Win 7 Pro x64. We have three separate edits all of which are experiencing bloating of the .prproj project file. Often this bloating seems to occur when no importing of assets has occured, just changes in the edits. A project which started at 5mb has bloated to 1.5GB and we can no longer save it. Another project has bloated to 200mb and continues to grow in size. We have not brought in any weird assets, although we are using hi-def footage.

We upgrade from CS3 and never had this problem using Premiere CS3.

We can't fix the problem by 'remove unused footage' as this doesn't reduce the project size, although it does remove the unused footage.

We can't fix it by importing the project into a new clean project as the problem and huge file size just comes with

We can't fix it by using the project manager to collect up the project as it requires to save before collecting and the problem files can't be saved.

A couple of points to note - these projects were originally on Premiere CS3 and were upgraded to CS5. The footage is either Sony EX3 or Canon 5D - both HD.

The machine it's running on has 8gb of RAM.

Currently the projects I'm working on are gradually grinding to a hold with no way to make the files usable again.

Any suggestions are greatfully recieved as I'm at a loss. I've reported this to Adobe, and will report back if I get anything useful.

thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 155 Replies 155
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these projects were originally on Premiere CS3 and were upgraded to CS5.

That may be your problem right there. Try creating a new blank CS5 project and see if it still happens. It's a best practice to finish the edit on the same software that you started it on. I just bought CS5, but am going to wait until all my CS4 editing is done before I install it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Huntrex. I have exported my timeline on one of the projects that is almost complete and brought it into a new CS5 project to finish off, to see if that helps. The trouble is that the projects that aren't nearly finished have a load of work on things like grading and re-framing which wont come thorough if I export and EDL in order to get them into a clean CS5 project, which is what I'd need to do. I'm not completely convinced that this is the problem either .... but I agree it's definately something to consider / investigate. The reason we upgraded was because we were having so much trouble with CS3 crashing when handling HD footage from an EX3, so leaving the projects as CS3 until the end of the edit wasn't really an option.

What concerns me about this problem is that I can't seem to find anyone else with the same issue! It's always a relief when there are a whole bunch of you trying to solve the same problem! That combined with the fact that the corruption, if thats what it is, is preventing the projects from being saved is a real problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long Shot:

Have you tried to import the sequences invididually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeremy,

thanks for your long shot - it turns out to be a life saving work around. I can't tell you how helpful you've been. I'd tried importing the problem project into a new project but wasn't aware that I could import just a timeline. The resulting new project file has come down from 200MB to 3MB.

I'm still interested in any information anyone has as to why this has happened in the first place as I'd like to know what I need to do to avoid it happening again, at the moment I can't be sure it isn't going to happen again to my newly reduced timeline. As I mentioned in my post, it's not just one project that this is happening to but all three that I have been working on since upgrading from CS3 to CS5 (one having ballooned to 1.5GB).

If I find that the newly streamlined project doesn't grow in size, this may suggest that the problem is with the projects having been converted from Premiere CS3 files at Huntrex suggests.

I'll post my findings back here.

I notice you're an Adobe employee Jeremy - feel free to contact me if this problem is more widespread than just me and I can provide any useful information.

Nat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More Widespread it is as I have also experienced this.

I did exactly what Jeremy suggested (before reading this thread). All of my other .pproj's were 5MB - 10MB but when I tried to reOpen it and things were really slow... I noticed that the .pproj was just over 100MB. After I started a new project and imported the SEQ's the file size is back inline with the others (7MB). This coincided with another problem posted in another thread where someone suggest Operator Error because all of the Media in my project was gone... same as the Original Poster of said Thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I have exactly the same problem. A file of 9,7 MB suddenly came up tp 1,13 GB. Saving takes 1 hour - but it does save. I have been working on this for about 2 days before looking into the forum. It doesn't make any sense.

This small project was STARTED in CS5. After doing a little editing the file went up to 15GB!! It is *very* frustating. I use HD footage as well and have no clue why this is happening....

There IS an issue - a bug in the release of some kind. I used Final Cut and will try this importing of the timeline.....hope it works. Thanks.

Regards,

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be careful with comments like that. If you can see that after 2 posts on the forum, then I have a job for you...

Nicketlareriksen wrote:

There IS an issue - a bug in the release of some kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a sample bloated project, but it's hard to say what's wrong without a comparison to the original.  All I see is that it contains millions (sic) of preview file references.

Can I get a before & after set please?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Wil Renczes wrote:

So I have a sample bloated project, but it's hard to say what's wrong without a comparison to the original.  All I see is that it contains millions (sic) of preview file references.

Can I get a before & after set please?

Thanks

Unfortunately I can't get you a before without rebuilding the whole project.  All the auto save projects ballooned so big none of them will open.

I don't know where in the process it happened.

Hopefully someone else can provide a before but I don't think that will be an easy task.

More details on the project...we were creating titles in the titler and the fonts went hay wire.  Half the titles changed fonts to Courrier and half stayed the way they were soppsed to.  Then later we restarted Premiere and the only font available was Helvetica 107 black obliuqe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Will,

Yes - that is no problem. I have time machine backups + a few "resaves" in an attempt to refresh the project.

1) A file before the problem (project evolved since)

2) 1,13 GB file of practically same project

3) Almost 8 GB file (saved version of the 1,13 GB file)

4) Think I could obtain the 15 GB version (but cannot say 100% if it works - I lost patience)

5) A new imported version from the 8 GB sequence import - about 7 MB.

How would you like to get this - I presume, you only need the project file? I can fit the 8GB+1GB on my idisc - but not the 15 GB as well....out of space.

Nick 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeremy - about that job offer...;-9

Let me elaborate....I will be careful and mean well. I am impressed with Premiere and many of the new features - that should be made clear. Using Adobe products since mid 90'ies and beta-tester on numerous competitive products might have made me a demanding customer with high expectations, which Adobe have fulfilled and not lessened...

Like many others on the forum, I am also a professional who have invested time in a project, that should have been long finished. I lost days (and nights) on this due to the fact that file size and sluggishness following this caused enormous delay in editing, playing and saving. Saving a file that grows without radical "new content" in that scale indicates a problem...assuming it was not only me. Working with IT for another 10 years in one of this Denmark's biggest IT companies also give me an understanding of all the problems with software releases etc. There will be bugs - or unexpected user interactions that causes unforseeable....consequences....if you will 🙂 I just want the problem to go away - if that means emptying the "rendered" library once in a while or something else - then that is what I will do.

Your own suggestion worked great and that makes it possible to work while this is investigated. If I can help - by sending file examples or in another way, then it will be my pleasure to help out.

I have just heard from one of my "collegues" who had a growing project with only timeline editing....and all these posts shows that there is something to be dealt with.

I will, therefore - in a very careful, friendly and constructive voice repeat my first impression. Lets hunt it down together 🙂

Kind regards,

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jeremy, this little tip turns out to be a lifesaver! I am importing the sequences one by one though! Importing all 5 together crashed Premiere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happening to me too, and I worked without problems like this in CS4, but when editing with CS5 bloating project files is a major issue for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LB47 wrote:

It's happening to me too, and I worked without problems like this in CS4, but when editing with CS5 bloating project files is a major issue for us.

Make sure to delete your preview files and re-save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I started the file in cs5.

My back up files started at 4,000kb, 27,000kb, then 207,735kb and won't open.

Also the program is getting slugish. I can't drag the opacity slider but I can make the adjustment on the timeline. Hmmm

That is a great tip about importing seqences, thanks

8 gig ram

HP 8660

ati fireGL 5600

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selfishly, I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not the only person with this problem. It means that it's more likely that Adobe will look at finding out what is going wrong and fixing it. I'm concerned that Fredqlib is having this problem even with projects that were originated in CS5 rather than being imported from CS3 as this would seem to rule out the idea that it is an import problem which won't happen after the full migration from Premiere CS3 to CS5.

This is a huge problem for anyone experiencing this issue. It's not like an application error which can be fixed by doing a reinstall. Imagine if Photoshop users started experiencing a problem whereby their .psd files bloated and then became unusable, there would be uproar! The life saving work around suggested by Jeremy still has issues such as the fact that doing an import of just a program sequence looses all of the folder structure within the project and the comments from Fredqlib suggest that my fear that the files will just bloat again is likely to happen.

I wonder whether it's got something to do with having 8gb installed. Has everyone who's having this problem got 8GB x64 running?

I logged this problem with Adobe support a couple of days ago but still have heard nothing back. I'll post anything I hear back here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if we can find something that all of us experiencing this problem have in common?

- this is my setup:

Hardware:

8GB ram

Win 7 Pro x64

ATI FireGL V3400 graphics card

Intel XBX2 motherboard

Windows fully patched

Kasperski anti virus

Software:

Adobe CS5 Production Premium, upgraded from CS3

Neat x64 plugin for CS5 for grain reduction

Also tried to install the free RedGiant QuickLooks plugin from Adobe, but it caused Premiere to crash and was uninstalled

Project media:

first project - 1080p, footage from Canon 5D

second project - PAL SD, footage from Canon EX3 and RED

Other:

The projects I'm working on are stored on an external RAID and have been opened and briefly edited on my laptop also, which is the same software setup as above, but without the attempt at installing QuickLooks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here...

Mac with a software raid0.

16gigs of ram and quad core CPU.

HDV 1080i

Project file bloated to 10 GIG.  That's right...10 GIG.  It wont even open anymore.  The open dialog sits there and doesn't do anything.

We need a fix or a work around really quick here.

Sheri or Will from Adobe...any chance you are reading this?

Any input would be really helpful!

Thanks!

P.S.  We tried importing the sequence and it just sits there.  It think its to big even for that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fredgilb wrote:

Same problem here. I started the file in cs5.

My back up files started at 4,000kb, 27,000kb, then 207,735kb and won't open.

Also the program is getting slugish. I can't drag the opacity slider but I can make the adjustment on the timeline. Hmmm

That is a great tip about importing seqences, thanks

8 gig ram

HP 8660

ati fireGL 5600

Fredgilb,

Are you using any type of Raid?  I wonder if this might be the common factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No RAID. JBOD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Raid 0 drive and it doesn't seem to matter.  I increased ram and I'm working with a NVidia 3800 graphics card.  I'm still having to edit in the Software mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dennis,

I see you are posting at this time...

Can you suggest anything for the problem above?

This is starting to get out of hand.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TClark,

I'm shocked that you are having the same problem on a mac. This seems to suggest a problem that could be really widespread. You've also beaten my 1.5GB file bloat size.

What the hell is going on with Premiere Pro? I'm surprised to have heard nothing from Adobe either via my support request or on this forum, save for Jeremys useful work around, considering how serious an issue this is.

I've had to break all the projects I'm working on which have multiple timelines in each project into a new seperate project per timeline in order to reduce the file bloat problem and reduce the risk of me loosing all my work in one go on a bloated file.

Adobe - we could do with some help here. It's frustrating to have spent so much money on licences for this software only to have virtually non-existant help when a serious flaw in the software manifests itself.

Nat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

natswilson wrote:

TClark,

I'm shocked that you are having the same problem on a mac. This seems to suggest a problem that could be really widespread. You've also beaten my 1.5GB file bloat size.

What the hell is going on with Premiere Pro? I'm surprised to have heard nothing from Adobe either via my support request or on this forum, save for Jeremys useful work around, considering how serious an issue this is.

I've had to break all the projects I'm working on which have multiple timelines in each project into a new seperate project per timeline in order to reduce the file bloat problem and reduce the risk of me loosing all my work in one go on a bloated file.

Adobe - we could do with some help here. It's frustrating to have spent so much money on licences for this software only to have virtually non-existant help when a serious flaw in the software manifests itself.

Nat

Yeah...it's really a bummer that no one is acknowledging it.  It's pretty serious!

I hope Dennis jumps in soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines