What PC to build?

Mar 17, 2010 5:27 AM

Latest reply: Harm Millaard, Jun 21, 2012 1:58 PM
Branched to a new discussion.
Replies 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2010 11:42 AM   in reply to rowby

Rowby, here is my first cut at my tuning list for Win 7 64 Pro

You may have to make your own decisions on each of these services based on your usage of your computer.  My goals were to set this up as a second (actually third) almost only editing and really primarily benchmarking machine.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2010 9:03 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Note that many people have reported problems with the LG GGW-H20L BD burner disappearing under Win7, never to return.  I'm one of them.  It worked perfectly under Vista 64 but none of the fixes proposed on the web have worked for me.  Device Manager reports a problem with the driver but the Microsoft troubleshooters say they can't find a better one.

Fixes proposed on the web and in various forums include uninstalling and letting the system reinstall, hacking the registry, running the Microsoft Auto-Fix program and disabling AHCI on the mobo.  The drive is not listed in the Win7 compatibility list and the LG website includes drivers and SW only for XP and Vista.

Others are recommending the Pioneer BDR-205.  I've just ordered one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 2:23 AM   in reply to acgold777

acgold777 wrote:

Note that many people have reported problems with the LG GGW-H20L BD burner disappearing under Win7, never to return.  I'm one of them.  It worked perfectly under Vista 64 but none of the fixes proposed on the web have worked for me.  Device Manager reports a problem with the driver but the Microsoft troubleshooters say they can't find a better one.

Fixes proposed on the web and in various forums include uninstalling and letting the system reinstall, hacking the registry, running the Microsoft Auto-Fix program and disabling AHCI on the mobo.  The drive is not listed in the Win7 compatibility list and the LG website includes drivers and SW only for XP and Vista.

Strange, That is what I have and never any sign of a problem and I imagine that I have burned well over a hundred successful DVD's and a few assorted BR's.  Here is what Device Manager reports for me.

LG-BG.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Thanks for posting that, Bill.  It's the same driver mine shows.  Hmmm....

Here's another thought.  I think the drive is connected to an IDE controller, not SATA.  Could this be the problem?  All the Device Manager data talks about IDE and I'm pretty sure the burner is not connected to any of the internal SATA ports on the mobo.  But if that's the issue, why did it work ok in Vista but not Win7?  And do you know if there's a setting I can tweak if Explorer cannot see the drive?  Or should I bite the bullet, kill a Hard drive and use that port for the burner?

Thoughts, anyone?  This is puzzling.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 1:41 PM   in reply to acgold777

Adam, can you see your burner in your BIOS?  You are confusing me with this statement

acgold777 wrote:

I think the drive is connected to an IDE controller, not SATA. 

IDE is the old 40 pin Parallel ATA interface and that would be impossible to connect to this drive which is SATA.  Are you sure it is even connected to anything?  I am not sure what motherboard you currently have but if I remember right you also had an X7DWA-N is that correct?  I believe that to use SATA ports 5 and 6 you have to have ACHI enabled.  Now it is not going to be easy to enable ACHI.  While I have heard of a few successful people enabling ACHI after you have Windows loaded it is not easily or normally do-able.  A sure way is to start all over and reload the OS and yes I know that was the last thing you wanted to hear.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 3:02 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Yes, sorry, this is just me being stupid.  I opened up the box and it is the old Asus drive that is connected with a wide IDE cable.  The OS drive and the LG are connected via SATA to the SATA ports on the mobo (and yes, you remember correctly -- it is the X7DWA-N).

I already have AHCI enabled; I went through that whole soap opera, including the BSOD and registry tweaks, a year ago.  So we had all six SATA ports working under Vista 64, but now under Win7 we're having the problem with the LG.  (It is connected to channel 2).  The Intel Matrix RAID storage manger does not at the moment see the drive at all, but I think it is because I've been messing around inside the case and did not properly re-seat the connector; Device Manager does not even see the drive either, but it used to.  Up until the last reboot I did have a blue flashing light on the LG, but not now.

I'm on the Intel website now and I see they have an updated Matrix Storage Manager available; I'm going to try that.  In the meantime, all other thoughts are welcome.  Thanks for everything so far, Bill.

EDIT:  Reseated the power cable (duh!) and drive powers up but same problem persists as before.  Downloaded and installed latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager found here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17882&P rodId=2101&lang=eng

and lo and behold.  It works.

Here's an interesting thread which discusses the problem, and from which I got the link:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=132422.0

It theorizes that Win7's AHCI drivers are funny and should be replaced by Intel's.  Maybe so.  Ironically, it may have been the clean install of Win7, which everyone recommends over the "Upgrade" install, which did me in.  Formatting the OS HDD wiped out the Intel Matrix Storage Manager app, which was needed in order to see all the drives.  I'm not sure it was installing the newest version that helped, but just installing a version, period.

Hope this helps others if they are having the same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2010 9:57 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Reading the thread (the first time), I put together (also using some of the 'Videoguys' suggestions) a plan for an editing 'workstation' to be used for editing HD hobby videos, and would appreciate any comment:

Thanks, LaciWorkstation.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2010 11:15 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks! Started reading your publications...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2010 4:09 PM   in reply to LaciG

Read the two articles: they are very useful. In the meanwhile, I have two more questions: 1. What about a solid state 'drive'  for system 'disk' (I was told that they are faster, but rather small - and probably expensive). 2. This is about the case: Antec P183 looks good, has 120 mm top fan, 120 mm rear fan and 120 mm lower chamber fan. Is this enough for the system described above, or do I need the P193 with 2 x 140 mm top fans, 120 mm rear fan, 120 mm lower chamber fan and a 200 mm side fan? How does one calculate the needed fan 'farm' based on the power dissipation of the system? Also, would a slight over-clocking change the picture (other than an extra CPU fan)? Thanks, Laci.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2010 9:25 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm, Thanks for the advice. I haven't really considered the SSD (a salesperson suggested at Fry's which was already suspicious) but it is good to know for sure.  The last 15 years of my professional life, before I retired last year, I worked for a design house and after that for Intel as a quality/reliability engineer using my physics background. I (used to ) know a lot about device physiscs/reliability but next to nothing about design and the computer inner workings - or about RAID for that matter. I got the more serious movie making and computer building 'bug' may be a year ago, and dived into it more seriously just a couple of months ago.

As for the computer case, I will look further (I liked the smooth design of the P183/193 mostly probably due to my age   -  I do not like all the flashing lights, etc. on a computer case). But what the most important for designing my new computer is after my 7 year old Dell Dimension (and a first I will build myself) is the PC 'architecture': Processor, mother board, graphic card, and the storage. The first three have been decided (after your last reply), the only remaining issue is the storage.

So, I read your tutorial and the discussion chain ("To RAID, or not to RAID...") and a good article in Wikipedia, yesterday. I like your advice on the 5 x F3 1 TB disk (one for OS/programs/page file, and the other 4 for all else in a RAID 5 configuration). Please, let me know if I am right: 1. The OS (and the user) will see the four disks in RAID as one drive. (From Wikipedia.)  2. The data can be restored after one disk failure. (Automatically?)  3. I do not need any extra hardware for RAID 5 - the OS will do it for me. 4. I can ('manually') back up the 'system drive' to an external drive periodically. (I do it right now with my old computer.)  5. However, this arrangement doesn't make it possible to use some of the other suggestions in the discussion after your article (use separate disks for projects and indexed/conformed files; for cache, previews; for media, etc. Is this a real disadvantage?

Please, consider that presently I am using PrE 7.0 on a 7 year old computer (with regular 'manual' backups with Acronis) and only for hobby (family/trips, etc.) With the new computer, I would like to edit AVCHD movies taken with Panasonic AG-HMC150 (my 'retirement present' for myself ) but still for hobby at least for the time being. With this new computer for editing I would like to use PrPRO CS 5 (and may be ENCORE CS5).

P.S. 1. What is F3? 2. I like that you have a 'space' between the numerical quantity and the unit unlike in most manuals and Internet comments nowadays (If I search for 1 TB on Google, it asks me: Did you mean 1TB?" Of course not! It might save a few bits but this is not even conforming with the American NIST style manual's suggestions (http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec07.html).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2010 9:50 AM   in reply to LaciG

LaciG & Harm:

As to your computer case I lean toward an Antec 1200. It's large lots of space and plenty of fans. What say you Harm?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2010 10:48 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm and Dave, Thanks for the suggestions for the case. I am looking into it. - Laci. P.S. Just one more question (in addition to the 4 questions in my previous message): My board is sATA III ready, is there any advantage to wait for / find a sATA III drive? Thanks again, Laci.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2010 4:42 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm, Thanks for the help. Right now I only have two questions: how one uses the ICHR10 chip for the raid, and also, what you meant by 'have to give a Rebuild order' (if one disk fails. I guess, it is a software command somewhere). I will research the Internet, and if I can't find any answer, then I will ask you again. Thanks, Laci. P.S. I like your suggestion for the computer case very much (not the price though) and most probably will go with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 9:14 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

This is all great info.  I'm pretty excited about an upcoming build, but would love some input.

With CS5 I'll be doing at most 3-4 AVCHD files at a time with minor effects.  I cover events, so an hour or two of footage is not unusual.  I'll be using AfterEffects quite a bit too.  And Audition 4 to edit some pretty long lectures (4 hour +).  Hopefully Audition will take advantage of multithreading somehow.).

I have $3000 to spend this year and already have the following:

4 old 74Gb Raptors (right now in raid 0 booting Vista 64, but will be moving to W7 64)

2 good monitors (plenty for me)

6 1TB drives in a raid 6.  (This right now suffices for storage, but out of 4 TB I only have one free, so I need to expand this.)

a 3ware 9650SE-16 port raid card with battery backup

An older Quadro card

A decent sound card (which, I take it, is no longer important)

A big old Coolermaster Stacker case running two power supplies (a 680watt for MB and a 580w on all my drives)

Two 5-bay Sata backplanes (SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B I think I need one more soon?)

I think I could scare up another $1500 next year to add on a little more, so buying something now that's upgradable would be fine.  With that in mind, should I splurge on a single hexacore (x5650?) with that crazy EVGA SR2 board (I'm not afraid of moderate air-cooled overclocking)?  Or go for a tried-and-true Tyan with a couple of Xeons?  Or just overclock a single 930?

And how much will a 480 help me in AfterEffects?  Should I instead throw the money at more CPU goodness?

I just want to use the $3k to get the most performance possible.

Thanks in advance

-Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 9:21 AM   in reply to MUMediaDept

>how much will a 480 help me in AfterEffects?

You might want to check the AfterEffects PDF to veryify this, but I don't think CUDA/MPE does anything in AE, only in Premiere Pro CS5

CS5 User Guide - Right click PDF link to save to your computer
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/CS5/Using/index.html
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/CS5/Using/index.html
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Encore/CS5/Using/index.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 10:48 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Wow this is an excellent resource for people like me (who until now didn't have a clue where to start!) Thanks harm!

I went through HP's pc building website and followed all the choices you've listed for Budget. Is there anything here that jumps out at you that you would change?

My computing needs: I'm a technical illustration student and i'll be doing stuff with CS5, painter 11 as well as FormZ and possibly Maya. Probably some tiny little videos in Affter Effects.

Note: I couldn't find the exact ATI HD card. Nor could i choose the motherboard.

This setup costs: $1,273.99

Thanks for your help!

Operating  systemGenuine Windows  7 Professional 64-bitedit
    ProcessorIntel(R)  Core(TM) i7-860 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3  cache]edit
    Memory8GB  DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs] from 6GBedit
    Hard  drive1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 640GBedit
    Graphics  card1GB ATI Radeon  HD 5570 [DVI,HDMI, DP, VGA adapter]edit
    Primary  optical driveBlu-ray player  & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burneredit
    NetworkingIntegrated  Ethernet port, No wireless LANedit
    Front  Productivity Ports15-in-1 memory  card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audioedit
    TV &  entertainment experienceNo TV Tuneredit
    Sound  CardIntegrated  soundedit
    SpeakersHP  USB 2.0 stereo speakersedit
    Keyboard  and MouseHP USB  keyboard and optical mouseedit
    Office  softwareMicrosoft  Office Starter 2010edit
    Security  softwareNorton  Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 month

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 11:05 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

OK. 

Since the Quadros are pretty expensive, perhaps I should just get a 480 to handle PR and poke along on CPU power for AE.

AE is less of a priority.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 11:47 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Newegg currently has the Spinpoint F3 1 TB on special fo $65 with this code (you may have to sign up for it to be usable) EMCYTNN25.  Free shipping.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 11:59 AM   in reply to MUMediaDept

MUMediaDept wrote:

.... should I splurge on a single hexacore (x5650?) with that crazy EVGA SR2 board (I'm not afraid of moderate air-cooled overclocking)?  Or go for a tried-and-true Tyan with a couple of Xeons?  Or just overclock a single 930?

-Tim

There is no value for the x5650 Xeon's or for that matter any dual Xeon with Premiere.  Take a look at the ADK benchmark information and also at my PPBM site and see that dual Xeons are not among the leading scores.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 9:57 AM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Harm, Bill, I started building (actually ordering parts for) my new computer. I already ordered the 5 F3 hard drives from

Newegg (and they accepted the discount code). I would just need an advice on a moderately priced Blu-ray burner (LG? Samsung?) There are so many out there, and so many (non-expert) opinions, that it is difficult to choose. Thanks, Laci.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 3:44 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Hi Harm,

I can't thank you enough for the suggestions.

Just another quick question though. I'm choosing Hard drives at the moment and everyone on here seems to love the SpinPoint drives.

However, would you choose a Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 32MB 1TB over a Caviar Black WD1002FAEX, 1000GB, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache, SATA-3?

Thanks again!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 7:10 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

not sure what you are talking about Harm? we use WD's all the time in raid. (the newer ones)

are you talking about the fact a drive can drop out of a raid 5/6 with numerous drives?

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 7:20 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

For continuous online backup, I've used Caviar Greens in a RAID 5 for a while now.  I was worried that Harm was right about the TLER stuff when my RAID degraded from 3 drives down to 2 a couple of weeks ago.

Turns out the drive itself was going bad - really, really slow reads and writes in certain sectors of the disk.

WD replaced the drive under warranty, and my RAID5 is humming along with 3 drives again.  Each Green drive is 2.0 TB, with the whole array being 4.0 TB.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 7:55 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I do 8 daily incremental backups and twice-weekly full backups of all my media and data drives.  The incrementals run every 2 hours automatically.  They're very fast because only the changed disk sectors are backed up.  The full backups are scheduled to run right after my twice-weekly defrag runs.  It makes no sense to do an incremental backup after a defrag pass since so many sectors are changed anyway.  I keep 2 full backup sets (full + incrementals) at all times.

I use ShadowProtect and PerfectDisk.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 1:22 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Hello There,

Another PC build recommendation.  I pieced this stuff together from Tom's and here.  So, thanks for any guidance.  I "have" a budget for my computer, but really just want something that will quickly edit in premiere, indesign, photoshop, and lightroom.  Video is by far the biggest resource hog and don't know how to purchase for it. I plan to use one drive for the OS, one for local media, and one for cache.

Without further ado, here is the system:

LIAN LI PC-A70 ATX CASE

1x 600GB VelociRaptor

2x WD Cabiar Black 1T

PSU - SeaSonic X750 Gold

12GB (3x4GB) GSkill RpiJaws PC3 12800

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366

i7-980X Extreme (I really don't want to spend the $$ on this, but with the 30% plus performance boost encoding is worth it)

LG Blue-Ray Lightscribe DVD

Total   -  ~$2500

I have 2x24inch monitors and I can't budget in a new GPU.  I have an nVidia GTX 285 and really just want to replace those with my monitors next year.  I also have a droboelite for backup and shared storage.  So, I just need the local drive for workfiles.  Everything will be backed up, so I don't want to RAID the local disks (if I don't have too).

Thanks for any help or guidance on this and if I am missing something  please let me know.

-Kelly

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 1:58 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks for the quick reply!

I read the article/spreadsheet, but don't really understand what to get (sorry).

So, if I downgrade to cpu to the i7-930 and keep the velociraptor as my OS, what disk config would you recommend for the $700 difference?

Edited-To-Add (What power supply would you recommend as well).

Thanks again,

Kelly

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 3:44 PM   in reply to mooreka777

I just looked at the Drobos. Pretty interesting.

Do you know what is different about their patented technology than a standard external Raid array?

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 3:55 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Yes I was thinking for backup. I just want to get my system built and I will consider internal Raid in the future.

I work mostly on large photoshop files. 200 to 600 megs so Ram is my main concern now. On my current XP system with 4 megs and have to go eat dinner or take naps just waiting for filter effects to complete.

I'm strongly considering 24GB of DDR3 2000 for $980

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231359

Eric

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)