Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Successfully install Adobe Flash Player

May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried about 8 times to download Adobe Flash Player, following each of the steps required.  I get the "complete" message, but websites I then try to open tell me that to view I have to download Adobe Flash Player.  I evenn have in a folder the adobe flash player.exe, from which I've installed several times.  Several times I've rebooted my computer before trying to open the desired site.  That has not helped. How do I get Flash Player successfully installed and in operation?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jun 12, 2010 Jun 12, 2010

Hi, What you see is different than what I see. Here is what someone has posted to mark a thread as "Answered"

Log in to the forum (your thread) and go to one of eidnolb's posts on your thread. You should see at the bottom of the post an icon that says "correct answer". Click on that. Alternatively, if you reply to eidnolb's last post, just above (or below) the text box where you type your reply you should see an option for marking the thread as answered.

Hope that works.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried deleting cookies and cache from your browser so it doesn't send the old cookie to the site(s) that says you don't have the updated

Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - My Trend Micro Security deletes cookies daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2010 May 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sloram wrote:

I evenn have in a folder the adobe flash player.exe, from which I've installed several times.

What is your operating system?

What is your web browser?

From where did you download Flash Player?  "flash player.exe" is not the Flash Player download from Adobe or Macromedia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 26, 2010 May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Operating System is  Windows XP Home Edition SP-#3.

Web browser is Outlook Express.

"install flash player.exe" came from Adobe Systems Inc.

Typically I've tried to install Flash Player from a prompt on a Youtube.com site, sent from friend or family, I'm trying to view,.

But also from Adobe's site as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see: "install_flash_player.exe" is the installer for non-Microsoft web browsers like Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc.

"Outlook Express" is not a web browser, but the Windows mail client.  The Windows default web browser is Internet Explorer, and the installer for it is "install_flash_player_ax.exe".  Download it from http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe; save it to disk, then close all browser windows and run the downloaded installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Save to file then opened and clicked on "run".

Installation complete.

Rebooted.

Went to Youtube.com.

Entered "Sawstop in time warp" in search block.

Clicked on result and got the same message - you need to download Flash Player click here.

Appreciate the hand-holding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ - can you see the Flash animation and some version information  underneath it?

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Can you check if all Adobe add-ons are enabled (somewhere in the Tools menu)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't see animation

Internet Explorer 8

Tools/ Manage Add-ons/nno Adobe add-ons in Currently loaded add-ons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 29, 2010 May 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, go to this test site and what version does it say you have Installed?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

Then use IE and go to manage add ons (all add ons) and find Shockwave Flash Object..ActiveX Control..Flash10e.ocx, is that listed exactly that way? Make sure it is Enabled. If it is not listed that way, then post back what is listed for Shockwave Flash Object.

If you use any other browser as Firefox or Chrome, go to plug-ins and look for a listing for a SWF version 10.0.45.2 and make sure it is Enabled. If some other version number is listed, that info is needed also.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 30, 2010 May 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got IE 10.0.45.2

Manage add-on does not have Shockwave Flash Object..ActiveX

Control..Flash10e.ocx, listed.

I did try to install Flash Player after a reboot. There was no " movie" in

the process, and Flash Player is not in the Manage add-ons lisitng.

I must be doing/not doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 06, 2010 Jun 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Progress.

Found Flash Object Activex Control, in Disabled state. Enabled it. Now

see Flash Player animation, with my version of IE displayed. Now can open

YouTube snippets. But without sound at this point. Perhaps I'm overlooking

some needed step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 06, 2010 Jun 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well you have made progress:-) If you had audio before I wouldn't see why you wouldn't now. Is the volume control on the videos turned up? I'm sure you have already checked your speakers. Are you having problems on other sites with audio as well?

Just a couple of things to check.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup - Speakers alive and well. Volume maxed on Youtube sites, and on ESPN

for crosscheck. Any other suggestions - Audio for Dummies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, don't know about audio for dummies. Maybe the Moon jumped over Jupiter or something:-) Let's take a look and see what you have Installed regarding Flash Player. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Right click on the Flash folder and Open. Post back all files listed there please.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Went into System 32 hidden files. Contents of Flash folder:

Flash10e.ocx 1/26/2010

FlashUtil10e.exe 1/26/2010

Install.log 5/31/2010

swflash.ocx 1/17/2006

uninstall-activeX.exe 5/31/2010

(Note - By habit I opened the Flash folder with a double left click; same

results as when I right clicked then clicked Open. You probably already

knew that works.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for checking. (I have the habit of right-clicking:-) I use the right click for safety reasons, some users don't understand that by double clicking an .exe file what that will do and they would get something they may not want:-)

Ok, go back to your Flash folder, DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK, right click and Open the swflash.ocx. You should see a Delete or Remove Option. Do either one and then Reboot (restart) your computer. Once that is removed, then your Flash files will be correct.

After Rebooting, go to Tools, manage add ons and look for Shockwave Flash Object..ActiveX Control..Flash10e.ocx and make sure it is Enabled.

Post back your results.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Report Back Results:

All done as outlined, and rechecked.

In Manage Add-ons, Shockwave is not in Currently Loaded Add-ons.

But in All Add-ons, under Adobe Systems Inc, Shockwave is present and

Enabled.

Testing on http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1 there was

no sound.

And those guys are talking up a storm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I probably should have told you the reason that swflash.ocx needed removed is because it was very old. Ok, now we have the Flash files for IE correct and the Shockwave Flash Object. Oh, just some info: IE8 has various categories for listing add ons and it makes it difficult to find. When you see "currently loaded" or "have been used", etc. that is confusing. I use XP/SP3/IE6 and found out long long ago, what matters is whether the add on is Enabled or Disabled no matter where it is listed or under what category.

Now, back to the issue. Trying to determine when this audio issue appeared. Did you Install any new software, Uninstall any that you can remember? Try any trial versions of any? A new Toolbar perhaps? If you can think of any, let me know.

Now that we know your Flash files are correct and the add on is also, then something is conflicting. I have a couple of links and info on audio issues and will review them.

We may need to take a look at your add ons in IE, but usually those conflict directly with Flash Player.

Trying to pinpoint when the audio acted up will help.

Let me know and I'll see what I have on my Desktop.

Thanks,

eidnolb

P.S. What about Trend Micro? Is that new? What Anti-Virus did you have before Trend Micro? Do you have a version number? Something to consider.

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate your tenacity! I recall deleting - uninstalling? - a Free

hotmail that seems to have loaded uninvited, and on May 26th deleted an

Install.Flash-player.exe. And I did replace IE6 with IE8 following the IE8

step-by-steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, From the changes you listed, my opinion is that it was the upgrade from IE6 to IE8 (jumping out of the frying pan into the fire) LOL, sorry, IMHO. Some would say since I still use IE6, I just stay in the fire:-)

Now that change would be a major one. It can disturb things. Last night I was reading some of my info on Audio issues.

Do you know how to get to Services?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

"Services?" No, I don't think I do. I see the various Help buttons of

Microsoft and IE. Coach me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ok. Go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services. Dbl click Services and look for Windows Audio. Left click to hi-light it, then right click once & click on Properties. In that window, Check Service Status: It should say Started and Start up type should say Automatic. If Status says Stopped, then click Start, apply, and ok. Then Reboot(restart) your computer.

Now if Service Status says Started and  Automatic, then close that window and on the left side, click on Restart. Let it run, then reboot.

This is just something that may help.

Let me know, or if you have any questions.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BINGO !

You solved my problem. Would never have gotten there without your help.

Thanks to all who played in my computer dumbdom - ??b??y?lli?,

I-Know-Nothing-at-all, and eidnold.

If any of you are of a mechanical bent as well, then my stumbling block

might be of scary interest: Sawstop in time warp, at

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

SLOJIM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines