Skip navigation
getmodern
Currently Being Moderated

iPad development question

May 17, 2010 9:37 AM

I've installed CS5 and effectively ported a flash application I had developed to my iPhone. Brilliant, fast, and seamless (even if I did have to increase the size of all my buttons to accommodate fingers rather than a mouse)

Here's my question: An attempt to create an iPad version failed. I can successfully install the 320x480 px iPhone app to the iPad, but I cannot create a 1024x768 project in Flash and port it to the iPad. Everything works well to the point of installing it, when iTunes throws up an error.

Has anyone successfully created an app for iPad that is native resolution? The Adobe blog page showed such things, but no one has posted any kind of tip or tutorial to that end.

Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks!

Granted, yes, the CS5 --> iPod development concept through the iTunes store is a dead issue due to corporate one-upmanship, but there are many of us who do ad-hoc and enterprise deployment who couldn't care less, since we don't need Apple's OK to create apps (^_^)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2010 12:01 PM   in reply to getmodern

Yes i have. I am actually working on a replacement to the pfi compiler in cs5 that will allow ipad apps to be built. Right now im trying to find a way to create a universal app without any special 'hackery'.

If you have apple developer tool installed you can do it by hand by opening up the .ipa file

If not, you're sol till adobe, myself, or someone else releases something similar.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 2:42 PM   in reply to ssɐquʞunɹp

An update will be released shortly that includes iPad support

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 10:18 AM   in reply to alexmac@adobe.com

Any timeframe for this release...?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 10:48 AM   in reply to getmodern

maybe friday. at least ill have something for ipad specific apps. universal needs to be worked on still.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 10:57 AM   in reply to ssɐquʞunɹp

That would be amazing.  I think most users are looking to deploy to one or the other.  Switching between files depending on what you're working on isn't a terrible hassle.  I'm sure all the developers who find this will be grateful for your generous work!  I know I am. I look forward to seeing it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 5:38 PM   in reply to alexmac@adobe.com

Usually, they develop a new version a hot fix or just an update it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 5:39 PM   in reply to dianewarren

If Adobe will update this i wont bother, but AFAIK they said that apple(iphone/ipad) support is discontinued.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 8:42 AM   in reply to getmodern

I just want to add another positive voice for Adobe (or anyone) to update to allow for proper iPad deployment. I'm really not concerned about releasing apps through any store, but am completely interested in using the iPad (and iPhone) for rapid prototyping designs and apps and interactions via Flash. This would be one of the greatest toolchains for doing this... at least until there are Android tablets .

Cheers,

g.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2010 8:17 AM   in reply to g.wygonik

I do fully agree. What's the status? is there an Adobe-released Iphone/Ipad packager available at the moment?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2010 8:37 PM   in reply to alexmac@adobe.com

Hi guys, What about update for iPad support. Is it real in the near future? Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2010 3:34 PM   in reply to ssɐquʞunɹp

Really interested in more detailed description of how to adjust the .ipa file manually to ensure correct installation. plz?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2010 4:29 PM   in reply to getmodern

Maybe this is a discontinued old thread, but with the Flash CS5 update I got iPad 1024 compiles and iTune installs working fine. If anyone is still struggling let me know and I'll write a step-by-step for the packager if you like.

Now the fun really starts - how to optimise FLV playback... and how to call local mpeg4. Performance is pants!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2010 4:46 PM   in reply to Mark Bird

I think we should really let this thread rest.  Adobe has released a iPad packaging update to Flash CS5.  I've already documented it's strengths and weaknesses in another thread.

It's great for applications, but poor on mid level performance and above.  It can't handle large flv files at a decent framerate or alpha animations very well but it does the trick nicely if you are working on a small project for yourself (not into apple's hands).  It's great for prototyping for sure.

You can download it by simply going to the help bar and hitting updates from inside flash cs5 as I recall.  Quite simple.  No need for the goose chase...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points