Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CS5 compile fail

May 30, 2010 5:50 PM

If you have a very large project Flash CS5 fails to compile it. The same error used to occur in CS4 until the 10.0.2 patch was released. Is this going to be fixed in Flash CS5? Currently Flash CS5 is completely useless to us because of this problem.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2010 10:29 PM   in reply to Riftwar1

About how large is your FLA (or XFL) file? I can deal with an 11MB fine.

You want a CS5 patch? Complain at my thread here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/649242, where I'm trying to gather names to put in a kind of petition reply. Make sure you put your name (Forum names are fine) at the bottom so I can add them to the petition.

Hope it helps

dikuno <><

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 4:42 PM   in reply to Riftwar1

Hi,

I'm so sorry.  I thought I had responded to this post already.  Anyway, please try the following:

FLASH CS4:

The Adobe Flash CS4 Updater fixes the problem where extremely large Adobe Flash CS3/CS4 applications fail to compile. The JVM compiler within Flash authoring that is used to compile ActionScript 3.0 has a configurable maximum heap size that must be large enough to account for all the data that is being compiled. The default size in certain cases was not large enough which was causing the JVM to fail. If your project continues to fail export with similar symptoms as described here, the JVM heap size may be modified manually as it is now stored in a registry key.

To edit the JVM maximum heap size in the registry:

*Windows

1. From the Start menu, choose Run and enter regedit. Click OK.

2. In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following folders in the registry tree:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Flash 10\ActionsInspector 3. Find the key in this folder called "JVM Max Heap Size".

4. Modify the value of this key to the desired heap size. If the value is set to 0, the value used will be 128mb. If the value is set to -1, no max heap value option will be set, and the JVM will determine a default size, which matches the original behavior before the updater fix.

*Macintosh

1. In Finder, navigate to the folder <your user name>/Library/Preferences/. Open the file "Flash CS4 Preferences" in a text editor.

2. Under the ActionsInspector tag, find the JVM_Max_Heap_Size tag. Modify its value, whose default is 128mb, to the desired heap size. If the value is set to 0, the value used will be 128mb. If the value is set to -1, no max heap value option will be set, and the JVM will determine a default size, which matches the original behavior before the updater fix.

FLASH CS5:

Quit Flash.

Open the following file in a text editor:

MAC - /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash CS5/<lang>/Configuration/ActionScript 3.0/jvm.ini

WIN XP - boot drive\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS5\<language>\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0\jvm.ini

WIN VISTA/WIN 7 – boot drive\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS5\<language>\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0\jvm.ini

And change:

-Xmx128m

to

-Xmx256m

If that still doesn't work, change it to 512m

HTH,
    Nivesh

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 6:25 AM   in reply to nrajbhan

I tried your suggestion and I'm still getting the same problem. The export progress bar comes up, I see the SWF file in my directory, but then it disappears when the export progress bar finishes. I changed it to 1024 and still got nothing. Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points