Skip navigation
b-child
Currently Being Moderated

Convert 4:3 video to 16:9 by pillarboxing...

Jun 3, 2010 1:11 PM

Hi,

I need to convert a short video I have, which is in 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 by pillar-boxing it (i.e. add the balck stripes down the sides) - But I can't work out how do it in Premiere Pro CS4... I'm used to using FinalCut Pro.

Any help (step-bystep, please) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2010 1:47 PM   in reply to b-child

All you have to do is place the 4:3 into a 16:9 Sequence and make sure that Scale to Frame Size is turned off. You should get exactly what you are seeking.

If you are getting this translated to 16:9, then just use Interpret Footage to force CS4 to see it as it should be - 4:3.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 1:47 PM   in reply to b-child

Pillar boxing is actually how you do the reverse, turn a 16:9 source into 4:3.

There are a few ways to do what you ask.  Do you want to create a 16:9 final program, without black bars?  Or a 4:3 final program with black bars?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 4:26 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Maybe I'm missing something --

If you've got a 16x9 clip, and you want to fit it in a 4x3 sequence, you're going to get a letterbox.

If you take a 4x3 clip and try to fit it in a 16x9 sequence, you'll get pillarboxing.

JSS1138 wrote:

Pillar boxing is actually how you do the reverse, turn a 16:9 source into 4:3.

There are a few ways to do what you ask.  Do you want to create a 16:9 final program, without black bars?  Or a 4:3 final program with black bars?

So, you create a 16x9 sequence, and add the 4x3 clip into it.

If you do a Scale to Frame Size on the clip, it will resize the clip to fit the first edge it finds -- in this case, the clip would be resized to hit the top and bottom of the frame, leaving the sides black, or pillarboxed.

This will ensure that the entire clip will be visible in the frame.

You said up front that you want pillarboxing, right?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 5:21 PM   in reply to jeremy d.

Jeremy,

That was my thinking too, hence my suggestion. It is no different than adding a vertical still image to a Timeline. I do not understand how if one has a 16:9 Sequence, and they add 4:3 material to it, with Scale to Frame Size OFF, how AME could change that footage. Does not make sense to me. It is just like a PiP, but without media beneath it.

If this is some anomaly, then the tack that I would choose would be to insert Black Video onto Video Track 1 and then the 4:3 material onto Video Track 2.

Something else, and something that we are not privy to, must be coming into play here.

And as for the terminology, unless I mis-read the OP, the "pillar boxing" should apply, just as "letter boxing" would with 16:9 into 4:3, unless Scaling and the visual cropping (not the Effect>Crop) were factored in. Maybe I am missing something important?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 5:33 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt
    If this is some anomaly, then the tack that I would choose would be to insert Black Video onto Video Track 1 and then the 4:3 material onto Video Track 2.

Yup, me too. As far as AME goes, I am not an expert by any means, so I would eventually find my way to this workaround.

And as for the terminology, unless I mis-read the OP, the "pillar boxing" should apply, just as "letter boxing" would with 16:9 into 4:3, unless Scaling and the visual cropping (not the Effect>Crop) were factored in. Maybe I am missing something important?

That's what I'm picturing -- a square inside a rectangle.

If you just add the clip without the Scale to Frame Size on, you cannot be sure that the entire clip will be displayed in the frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 7:27 PM   in reply to jeremy d.

I have had a misunderstanding about scale to frame.  I always thought that scale to frame would distort.  But here's the CS4 help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS0FACF67F-4C70-484f-BAA3- 71B6A19DCA77.html

If the par is interpreted correctly (Jeremie's assumption), the 4:3 will not distort into the 16:9 sequence frame size.  (FYI, CS3 says the same.)

I wonder now if the 4:3 was not interpreted correctly and that messed the export up (but if it wasn't interpreted correctly, it should have distorted to 16:9), or if the export settings were messed up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 7:44 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

I think it's AME, probably the settings, but maybe not.

I would try exporting it to something simple and easy, and then compare that to the one you already made -- it's h.264, isn't it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 11:05 PM   in reply to jeremy d.

Maybe I'm missing something --

Nope.  I was.  Didn't fully understand what the OP wanted till a later post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2010 12:04 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

---------------

----------------

I've done the above too....it seems to 'FORCE' keeping the 16:9 aspect....when exporting.....using CS3

I'm going on experience when I was " doing gymnastics"....( hehe....old joke )...using a smaller project to put bigger video so I could scale and position to simulate zooming and panning...don't know if you-all remember that ??  .....anyway, the black video forced the aspect ratio to stay put...and the video got exported correctly ( with black where it belonged )..

Rod

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points