• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash videos not working on espn.com in any browser

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had any issues viewing videos on espn.com but today I went to the site and none of them work.

I tried Firefox, IE and Chrome and all of them do the same thing. When the video loads I can see the static image with the play button but when I click it nothing happens. It's like it's dead.

http://espn.go.com/video/category?id=3461971

Something else strange - when I went to another website to view the video embedded I get a different state when I mouse over the play button (goes from white to red) but when I click still nothing happens. I can also manipulate all of the controls on the bottom (volume, play button, espn video link) but nothing happens when I click play.

http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2010-06-04#24867

This one video is just a single example but I can't get any videos on espn.com to work. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance!

Scott

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I would try is to uninstall / reinstall Flash Player (with no browser windows open).

If that doesn't solve the problem, post back with your operating system, web browser, and Flash Player version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

I tried is to uninstall / reinstall the Flash Player with no browser windows open and I'm still having the same problem.

Operating system: Vista Home Premium / 32 bit

Web browsers: Firefox 3.6.3, Chrome 5.0.375.55, IE 8.0.6001.18904

Flash Player version 10,0,45,2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you have in folder %WINDIR%\system32\Macromed\Flash (Type this address into Windows Explorer's address bar.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat, excuse me:-) I saw this thread about espn.com. I have another thread that is having a similar problem with that site. So I was searching and went to the espn site. It appears that there are some requirements that perhaps other sites do not. Following are two links, #1 and #2. Don't know if it is helpful, but I'm going to post this to my other thread, since I am out of ideas there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=help/sysreq

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=tools/index

The person on the other thread received an answer from Espn and they confirmed they support FP vs 10.0.45.2.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Blue.  Once again we were posting at the same time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player Trust (File Folder)

Flash10e.ocx

flashplayer.xpt

FlashUtil10e

install (text document)

NPSWF32.dll

NPSWF32_FlashUtil

uninstall_activeX

uninstall_plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks OK.

Have you also checked the links that eidnolb has posted, especially the one that mentions Shockwave Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did. After reading it I checked in Firefox and IE and I already had Shockwave installed. Google Chrome did not so I installed it. Still the same problem in all 3 browsers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2010 Jun 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing some settings with the Flash Player Settings Manager http://macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html, e.g. allow 3rd-party, etc.

Also, right-click on a Flash object, Settings: try changing some of the settings, like disable hardware acceleration.

If this does not work, then I have not many more ideas, especially since it worked until recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried changing a few settings but nothing works

Are there any other programs or settings through the computer that would block/allow a flash movie from playing? If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/ to check for any other problems on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let you know, I recently had malware issues and after removing everything took extra precautions recommended by bleeping computer. One of those was to change my default HOSTS file to the MVP HOSTS file.

I deleted the MVP hosts file and restored the default HOSTS file and the flash videos at espn.com are now working.

I just thought I'd let you know. This problem is now fixed.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this information kingmajix and also tnx to the fact that this thread was resurected today :). I just wanted to open a new thread here in this forum about trailers not playing for IMDB.COM site in any of the browsers (Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome) and I found this thread. You mentioned hosts file and then I remembered that I edited recently this file that can be found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc . I edited it coz I did not wanted to see addvertismenet banners in Winamp application. Among other sites there was also a line: 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net  which was the reason why IMDB trailers did not start so I removed this line from the hosts file and left other inputs intact and now everything is OK. Trailers are working perfectly with the Adobe Flash Player and in all browsers like before.

best, d.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a  webpage with the same flash content  does not work in all browsers, (Chrome, Opera, IE, Firefox, Safari, etc), go to Adobe's Global Manager web page: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_ manager.html or just right click on the blank Flash player and select " Global Settings", navigate to Global Storage Settings Panel  and check the box that says "Allow third party flash content to store data on your computer". This setting applies to your user account ONLY and will have to be checked on every instance of a new user account on your computer(s). While you are there, check the " Never ask Again" box. This will prevent every new site you visit from prompting  to allow  storage on your computer. ( who cares, it's a temporary allocation). Also check the third box " Store common Flash Components...."( why wouldn't you want this?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you copying and posting to an answered thread? I have seen this same info on other threads that you have posted on today.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because no one, including yourself, was being specific about how to solve the

problem with Flash not working on some sites regardless of the browser being

used. This is a problem for many users and if you Google the issue, you can see

that a solution was NOT being presented in a clear fashion. Adobe is at fault

here for not telling users exactly what the consequences are for checking (or

not) the various options in it's Settings Manager.  Who's thread are you

suggesting that I was copying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 26, 2011 Mar 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I noticed at the top of this, it said that this question was answered, but honestly, if it was, none of the "answers" helped me at all. I am always reading forums, but rarely do I ever respond, but this issue really affected me too and I could not figure out why my espn videos would not play.

I have the ANSWER to what it is at least that made mine not work. It was AD BLOCK PLUS! I went in to the settings and configured it at first so that nothing in espn would be blocked but even that didn't help, so in the end, I decided to just delete the add on entirely. Immediately all of my videos started working perfectly! If you have ad block plus and you want videos to work properly, I would at least disable it and then enable it when you aren't watching videos.

~JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 26, 2011 Mar 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi  jack322011, That's interesting about Ad block plus. I've been told by FF users that this doesn't block anything nor interfere with Flash Player since it's different than "ad block".

I don't use Firefox, so I assumed those that did knew what they were talking about.

So even putting ESPN in a trusted zone didn't work. But when disabling it then the videos played.

I appreciate you posting this info, as I have/had a couple of threads that can't use the Global Settings, nor watch 2 or 3 websites. Maybe that is their problem.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines