Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 - Title = Wrong Aspect Ratio!

Jun 5, 2010 8:14 PM

Over here at the end http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 I was given ideas about converting AVCHD to AVI

That works great... EXCEPT

If I have only video the idea to cut 8 pixels from top and bottom works perfectly..,. the output AVI fills a widescreen DVD just right

HOWEVER

If I add a Title (with the correct size of 1920x1080 PAR 1) and export to AVI... the video that plays from a DVD at my TV does NOT fill the screen, it has bars on either side... not just the title, the entire video

Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 6, 2010 7:49 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John,

Check that your DVD player output is setup properly to show FHA (full-height anamorphic) DVDs. It will really depend on what format your TV is. Most DVD players have the option for 4:3 full-screen, 4:3 letterbox, and 16:9 full-screen. You may have it set to 4:3 full-screen and have a 16:9 TV. Additionally, many DVD players have (I find) annoying "zoom" or "scale" functions that can be inadvertently set, which will distort playback.

Also, be sure that when you bring your assets into Encore, that the properties panel for that particular asset shows as 16:9, and not 4:3--Encore seems to have difficulty with some frame sizes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 6, 2010 8:25 AM   in reply to John T Smith

I am about 99.9% sure the problem is not my player (which goes to a Sony projector to a 93" screen)

If I create my project with NO titles, and do the process of shaving 8 pixels off top and bottom and scale to fit the output, the resulting DVD plays perfectly in my movie room... no bars and fills the entire screen

I think you're probably right; I misread the part about you saying that it displayed properly sans title.

Add a rolling title, same export settings, and the exported AVI shows the large black bars on either side when played on my computer, and when authored with Encore (since Encore is just using what it is given)

In regard to the black bars: do they squeeze in the video, so that it's horizontally squished, or do they just cover the sides of the video so that the part that does show is the correct aspect ratio?

There is something about a rolling "screen credits" type title that is not working when shaving/scaling to fit a widescreen project

Indeed, but why the AVI reacts that way is strange. All I can figure is that something is amiss in your export settings--AME will eat what it's given.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points