Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project

Jun 5, 2010 8:23 PM

Hello,

I'm new here, I just bought Premiere 8 to edit and creat home videos, but when I open Premiere and select new project, I can only get as far as naming my file. after that I get a blank grey screen with the menu bar. can't add my files or edit at all. any help would be much appreciated. oh and i'm running windows 7 home edition

Thanks,

ulua76

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 6, 2010 4:08 AM   in reply to ulua76

Essentials:

• Install all Windows Updates
    • Install latest QuickTime (currently 7.6.6)
    • Install latest graphics drivers from manufacturer's web site
    • Install latest sound drivers from manufacturer's web site
    • Cleanup your disk drive(s) and defragment them

If problem not solved then: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2010 2:11 PM   in reply to ulua76

Your system is very similar, but higher spec, to my own (W7-64, Q6600, 4Gb RAM, 2 x 500GB, nvidia 8800GT, X-Fi Gamer). I run PRE7 with virtually no problems so it is possibly a PRE8 issue.

To check a few points:

• Have you updated PRE8 to 8.0.1?
    • The latest nvidia driver is 197.45WHQL. Is the one you updated to?
    • The latest X-Fi Extreme Music driver is 2.18.0013. Is this the one you have?
    • How much free disk space do you have?

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2010 5:23 PM   in reply to ulua76

just noticed that after installing the latest dirver for my sound card, I don't have the option to change to 5.1 only 2.1

This is interesting indeed. When a card supports 5.1, it would be uncommon for the mfgr. to not include that in the driver.

Now, to get my Realtek/Creative SB 24-Live to do DD 5.1 SS in PrPro and Audition, I had to go with ASIO4ALL, a free ASIO driver. Since installing, and pointing to it in all of my programs, that handle audio, I have not had one issue. That little free driver has been the secret to getting all sorts of equipment to work, from embedded audio-chips to some esoteric pro-sound stuff. It is the main "secret" on the Audition forum. Might be worth a try.

Now, though you lost the 5.1 in your chip, if that did not help PrE, then ASIO4ALL will probably not either, but might allow you to get good 5.1, otherwise. Do not forget to change Preferences>Audio Hardware in PrE to point to it, and also any other audio editing programs.

One question, are you running PrE as Administrator? That can cause issues, if one is not.

Sounds like you have enough free HDD space, so I think we can rule that out.

Video driver is probably ruled out.

What about Apple's QT Player? Do you have 7.6.6 (or later, if there is one)? If you do, and things are not working, you might want to look at rolling that back to 7.5.5, the "last known good" version with all Adobe programs. That is what I still have, as too many negative reports have come in on the 7.6.x versions. Two are known bad, and the jury is still out on 7.6.6, at least MY jury.

Are there any error messages, that you've encountered?

Just thinking about the possibilities, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2010 7:24 PM   in reply to ulua76

It might be, but the easiest test would be to go to Windows Explorer and the PrE folder. Find the Pre .exe file, and right-click on it, choosing Run as Administrator, then test.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2010 8:56 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hello,

I was searching for help and found ulua76's thread. It reads like I wrote it myself. All symptoms that I have are identical to this problem down to the entering new project name. The dialog box closes and the gray screen stays on indefinitely. I built this new pc to do home video editing back in February and installed PRE7 on it. All programs ran perfectly except PRE7, which ended in error: Sorry, an unexpected error has caused Adobe to shut down... I opened a support case with Adobe on March 2 and for nearly three months and 8 phone calls and multiple "escalations to level 1 support" it was not resolved. Last week I thought that I would try PRE8 since Adobe sales told me that PRE7 would not run on a 64 bit machine. After two calls to support on this version, I still have the situation described by ulua76. A couple things to note are 1) the organize button on the splash screen does work and 2) I have downloaded and installed the 8.01 update by running the .exe file. I cannot update through the PRE8 menu since I can never get to where the choice is not grayed out. I have checked for and installed all updates for Win 7, nvidia, on board high def 5.1 sound, and even backed down Quicktime 7.6.6 to 7.5.5 as Bill suggested. Still same result. Adobe support suggested disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS and in the nvidia control panel. Again no change. I am running adminstrator level account and have created a new user to check with no change. It is frustrating to have a new pc that does not run the the software that I built it for over three months ago. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Specs below.

Asus P6ZT

core i7 920 2.66Ghz

12 GB DDR3

Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

Pioneeer BDR-205 ATA

2-1 TB drives each partitioned to 500GB (C has 328 of 499 available; others have more avail)

Viewsonic VA902b

Windows 7 pro build 7600

Message was edited by: pre8dr Thanks, Dwayne

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2010 4:33 AM   in reply to ulua76

You change the speaker configuration in either "Creative Console Launcher" or "Creative Audio Control Panel".

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2010 8:11 AM   in reply to ulua76

Thank you for trying and for reporting. Not running as Administrator can cause all sorts of problems, so we just ruled that out.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2010 12:46 PM   in reply to ulua76

Creative Audio Control Panel:
    speakers.png

Creative Console  Launcher:

ENTERTAINMENT MODE

speakers2.png

AUDIO CREATION MODE

speakers3.png

GAME MODE

speakers4.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 7:18 AM   in reply to ulua76

Was that hour and a half spent with Adobe tech support or Sound tech? Adobe tech offered me the same solution- creating a new admin account. I got the same result as you. Their escalated level tech was to call me last night but never did. I was wondering if the spash screen with the organize, new project, and open project stays open behind the gray screen for you. When the gray screen opens I see two icons on the task bar, one for the splash, the other for the new project trying to open. If both are not supposed to show, maybe it is a programing problem of not releasing/closing the previous screen. I do not believe we are the only ones to have this problem. Let hope for a fix soon.

Thanks,

Dwayne

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 8:09 PM   in reply to ulua76

I followed your steps with the same result. The first time a new project opened. I moved a clip to the timeline, rendered it, play it in the preview screen, and saved the project. I did not try burning a disk. After closing the program it would not reopen the project. I moved the 8.0 folder to the desktop and restarted as before and could not start a new project. I believe a tech had me do this a month or so ago with PRE7 before I upgraded. I had the same result back then. It would run once, but that was all. Adobe has yet to call me back.

Dwayne

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 5:16 AM   in reply to ulua76

Hello Ulua76,

Just recently I read about the Anti Virus "On Access Scan" feature interfering with Adobe Premiere Elements.
    Do you by any chance have "On Access Scan" feature enabled in your Antivirus software ? If you do have this enabled, could you try disabling this and check your issue is resolved.

EM

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 11:45 PM   in reply to ulua76

Hello Ulua,
    Good to hear that your issue is resolved.
    I would try and start a new thread on the forum to highlight this Antivirus conflict.

EM

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 5:42 AM   in reply to -Subbi

Last night I disabled McAfee Real-time scan and experienced the same same success as ulua. I began reversing all the changes that tech support had me make like disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS, creating new admin accounts, and rolling back drivers to known "good" ones. None of the reversals had any effect. Apparently, the virus scan was the sole culprit. I'm not sure if that means it is an Adobe problem or a McAfee problem. Many thanks to ulua and Hunt for the posts, and to editmachine for the solution.

Dwayne

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 5:59 AM   in reply to ulua76

Hello Dwayne,

Thanks for coming back and sharing your findings. I have started a new thread on the forum highlighting this issue for the help of others.

http://forums.adobe.com/post!reply.jspa?thread=653769

I would suggest that you share your findings in that one for more visibility.

EM

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 7:49 AM   in reply to pre8dr

As I mention in this ARTICLE, all AV, spyware and malware sweeping, plus other intrusive programs should be turned OFF. I have just added a link to EditMachine's recent post on the issues with real time virus scanning. Just another reason to turn ALL of that sort of program OFF, before editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 12:31 PM   in reply to ulua76

This error message often occurs when the blank media is not good. It comes so late in the process, because the majority of the process is the Transcoding of the material, and the writing of working files, prior to the physical Burn. That is when PrE queries the burner and the media.

I strongly recommend Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden blank media. Brands such as Memorex, TDK, recent Ritek and ALL store brands should be avoided.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - can you try to Burn to Disk, and then use the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn to do the physical Burn?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 1:06 PM   in reply to ulua76

If you are getting this error with T-Y discs, then I would next look for a firmware update for the burner from the mfgr's. Web site. Read the instructions carefully, if there is a newer version of the firmware, as different firmware installations require different operations. Might be as simple as just running an executable, or maybe much more involved. Read carefully, and follow the instructions to the letter.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 2:48 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I have an SH-203N that shipped with my PC and it was very unreliable until I upgraded the firmware. There have been four firmware updates for your drive, from http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/firmware/FWdownload/FWDownload.asp?produ ct_code=&language_code=&SearchMode=TOTALSEARCH&SearchWord=203b&image1. x=0&image1.y=0

sh203b.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 3:53 AM   in reply to ulua76

Red Lines are when PRE previews need rendering to provide good playback within PRE. It has no effect on final output as PRE always renders that during the Share process.

Markers are designated by triangles. A blue Main Menu Marker creates a new Title on the Main Menu Screen. A green Scene Marker creates a new chapter in your project, A red Stop Marker forces a return to the Main Menu.

Problems others have had with the Stop Marker is when they place one right at the very end of the video (unnecessary as reaching the end of the video functions as a stop marker anyway). The solution is to remove the Stop Marker from the end of the clip.

In the screen below the Main Menu, Scene Menu and first Stop Menu markers are fine. The second Stop Menu Marker should be deleted as it occurs at the very end of the video.

markers.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 4:04 AM   in reply to ulua76

Drivers and Firmware are not really comparable. While drivers may be updated regularly to provide new features or support new devices, firmware upgrades are really only necessary to correct fundamental flaws (this is a somewhat simplistic view). So it doesn't really matter that your last firmware upgrade was two years ago.

However, although far better since updating the firmware on my SH-203N writer, I do still prefer my LG external USB drive for writing. Especially on dual layer disks.

drive.png

I suggest you borrow a USB writer and see if that solves your problem. If it does then go buy one.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 7:57 AM   in reply to ulua76

Interesting results, and at least you have the Audio issue sorted out. Thanks for reporting the location, and that partial success.

After the Burn to Folder, you might want to also look into the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn (scroll down past all the ads, to get to the ImgBurn Download), as it is about the best burning app. available.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points