• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Silent install does not work using /S argument

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to perform a silent install of the Flash Player using the EXE.  I prefer not to use the MSI.  I am trying this command:

install_flash_player_10.exe /s

or

install_flash_player_ax.exe /s

Both commands produce this error:

Invalid argument or invalid use of argument '/s'

Has anyone encountered this before?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would like to know the new silent install switch as well with 10.1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it also seems like the /qn dosn't work with the MSI install. WHAT'S UP Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok the new switch for the silent install of the exe is -install leave it to adobe to change stuff around and not document it. Still looking for the msi switches if anyone can figure that out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! i'll give the -install argument a shot later.

also, it seems that the player install errors out when a browser is open. i don't remember it doing that before... did it?

anyway to have the installer force the installation even if a browser is open or a way to auto close the browser with the installer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should always close all browser windows when you install a browser add-on.  This is especially true if older components need to be removed before the new version is installed.  You cannot remove such components if the browser is actually running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i need to be able to programmatically close the browsers though as i need to distribute this to severl hundred systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not drop a reboot command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note, I'm assuming from your OP that you are deploying in a Windows environment.

Try this as a pre-install command for your script/package:

taskkill /im "iexplore.exe" /f

(modify or add copies as appropriate depending on the number of browsers your users have access to and the Task Manager 'process' image name for the browser).

Personally I have yet to have a (noticeable, reported) issue with deploying "over the top of" existing previous versions of the plugin, but YMMV, and the above has worked before when I need to, for example, push a major-version Reader update with groups using the browser plugin of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed; you can use the -install argument for a silent install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we build SMS packages for deployment we also build uninstall packages in the event that we need to rollback. The silet uninstall command for Flash 10.1 is

install_flash_player_10.exe -uninstall

It also seems to remove both the ActiveX and Plugin version if both are installed as in our environment. The uninstall string the registry:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.exe -maintain activex

does not work.

Thanks for posting the -install tip. I was having trouble with that.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2010 Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, after some testing on my side, following seems to work fine for me

To silent install:
IE: install_flash_player_10_active_x.exe -install
Plugin: install_flash_player_10.exe -install

To silent uninstall (both files are located c:\windows\system32\Macromed\flash or c:\windows\syswow64\Macromed\flash depending on your OS flavor):
IE: FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.exe -uninstall activex 
Plugin: FlashUtil10h_Plugin.exe -uninstall plugin

If you run either of the FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.exe or FlashUtil10h_Plugin.exe with just "-uninstall", it will attempt to uninstall both ActiveX & Plugin files.

I also found these 2 EXE files do not delete themselves after uninstall.  Maybe it gets cleaned up after reboot?  I am deleting the file after the uninstall completes.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2010 Oct 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The aswer you are looking for is in the adobe "deploying adobe reader 9" documentation

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/deploying_reader9.pdf

cheers,

schnopi

Command Line Switches
for the Bootstrap Installer
Arguments can be passed to the Setup.exe bootstrap installer to control its operation. The general form of the command is:
<path to>\Setup.exe [<switches>...]
The values for the bootstrap installer switches are shown in Table B.1.
NOTE:All parameters are case insensitive.
TABLE B.1Switches for the Setup.exe bootstrap installer
Switch
Description
/sAll
Run installer in silent mode.
/sPB
Silent mode with minimum UI, Progress Bar only.
/rs
Reboot Suppress. Setup.exe will not initiate reboot even if it is required.
/rps
Reboot Prompt Suppress. If reboot is required, the system restarts without warning.
/ini "PATH"
Relative or absolute path to an alternative (different) Bootstrapper INI file. The CmdLine of alternative INI will be ignored.
/l
Enable Error Logging. Log file Bootstrap.log will be generated in temp directory.
/sl "LANG_ID"
Set Language, where LANG_ID is the decimal code of the destination installation language. Use it only for the multilingual installer, and make sure that the corresponding language transform file exist in the setup directory. If /sl "LANG_ID" is not set and you are running the multilingual installer interactively (not silently), ‘Choose Setup Language’ dialog will be displayed.
/msi[Command line]
Identifies the portion of CmdLine for additional MSIEXEC command line parameters. Everything following /msi is passed to MSIEXEC without analyzing and without any changes.
See Windows Installer Command-Line Options:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines