Skip navigation
VV_06
Currently Being Moderated

Still no support for writing GPS metadata ?

Jun 9, 2010 1:19 AM

I look at the 3.0 SDK and found no changes on this side : no support for writing GPS metadata in the catalog ?

We still need to use the trick that spawn a external process (exiftool) to add the GPS metadata to the image file (or xmp sidecar file) and then read back metadata from file to the catalog, with all the overhead and risk to forget to save metadata before this operation and loosing previous edits ?

It's a shame that Lightroom has such a very poor GPS support built in, even more when we see Places in Aperture3 and iPhoto...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 9, 2010 1:55 PM   in reply to VV_06

I get the feeling Adobe doesn't trust us plugin writers with write functions. Or, maybe they don't want us coming up with such cool plugins that nobody would care about their new features when they add them .

Although that's probably overly-cynical, I too was so excited when I saw the develop settings read functions, then somebody had to intervene to keep me from wearing the tips of my fingers to a bloody pulp looking for the write functions to go with it...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 11:45 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

It is overly cynical. I fought quite hard to get it into this release. It just needed contributions from other developers who simply didn't have time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 2:41 PM   in reply to escouten

Eric,

Thanks for straightening me out, and for fighting the good fight for/with us.

I often err on the side of "overly cynical", just to make sure I'm not being "under cynical" .

PS - I do appreciate the hard work you and yours have put into Lr3 and the SDK - I know me & others can be a bit whiny at times and the appreciation does not always shine through... - Thanks and keep up the good work!!!

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 8:23 PM   in reply to escouten

Eric,

As with Rob, a big thank you for your efforts in this area and for confirming that this is high on your list for future changes.  Without violating any NDA stuff, could you confirm whether deleting an image from the catalog is also on that list?

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 10:34 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

*** What I said in that previous post (about not being able to write develop settings) was incorrect.

I just figured out how to write develop settings - all's well .

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 9:14 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob,

So does this mean you cobbled together what would be the equivalent to a relative preset modifier/slider?  I assume you get there by creating a temporary preset based on whatever you want to push in there than apply it with the SDK - maybe you found a more direct approach?  The suspense is killing me!

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 12:59 PM   in reply to JW Stephenson

Hi Jeff,

You've got the idea. - xmp-edit is being reworked and will be called dev-adjust (no more kluging through xmp) - relative develop adjustment presets - all file types supported...

I'll keep you posted.

Rob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points