Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

WHEN IS ADOBE BRINGING OUT THE NEW PAGEMAKER FOR MAC?

Feb 23, 2010 12:19 PM

Adobe has photoshop elements for those who don't want photoshop.  What about pagemaker for those that don't want to drink the In Design cool aid?

Am I really the only one complaining about the untimely death of pagemaker?  I am a dual user- I have PC's and Mac's in my house.

I have gone through the transition of Wordstar to Ami Pro to Microsoft word.

I have gone through the transition of Visi Calc (on an apple II) to Lotus 1-2-3 to Excell.

I will be damned if I'm going to switch from Pagemaker to In Design.  I've been using pagemaker since 1990.  MY GOD THAT'S 20 YEARS!!!!  Longer than some of you have been alive.  I have a right to claim upgrade fatigue god damn it!!!!!!!!!

I can run pagemaker on a pc.  And that's where I go everytime I want to use it.  But my main computer is this mac I'm typing on right now.

I WANT TO RUN PAGEMAKER ON A MAC!!!!!!   I WANT TO RUN PAGEMAKER ON A MAC!!!!!!   I WANT TO RUN PAGEMAKER ON A MAC!!!!!!

Is that too much to ask?

AM I A MONSTER FOR WANTING SOMETHING SO SIMPLE?

It's a great program, it's a fantastic program.  Adobe, why do you want to kill it.  What did it ever do to you but bring you money.  Is that such a crime?

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2010 12:38 PM   in reply to Because I said so.

'WHEN IS ADOBE BRINGING OUT THE NEW PAGEMAKER FOR MAC?

Answer: Never.

PM has been put out to grass.  If you want to keep using PM, then find a Mac that will run it.

Maybe Adobe should have called InDesign PM8 instead, and then you would moved on straightaway.

> > I can run pagemaker on a pc.

Then it's either an old PC or you've worked hard to get it to install and run properly on Win7.  Either way, it's a dead duck on Windows too.

> >  I've been using pagemaker since 1990.

Excellent.  Then you'll realise it's now archaic and you have had a great time without investing anyinthg more in Adobe.

I recommend you use your PM Licence to get a discounted copy of InDesign while you can.

Iechyd da! John
    20:35 23/02/2010 GMT

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2010 5:23 PM   in reply to Because I said so.

Untimely? It was long overdue and I'm surprised Adobe is still selling that old relic.

The code quite simply was unintelligible. Just consider InDesign Pagemaker 8 and move on.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2010 1:01 PM   in reply to Because I said so.

A little history lesson is obviously in order here.

The code was unintelligible to the very people who wrote it. That's how bad it was.

You may think Adobe bought Aldus to get Pagemaker but they didn't. Aldus had already determined that PM was nearing EOL and was working on a new page layout application. That's what Adobe wanted. That's what Adobe bought. That application would go on to be released and it was called InDesigne.

What principle you're talking about is a mystery to me but I can tell you this. I don't give a rat's behind what you do. You can stick with PM and its lousy color management, its lack of unicode support, its lack of transparency support, its poor support for PDF import and export, and well, I could go on and on.

You may never move to ID, but nobody cares. You will NEVER see an upgrade to PM.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 8:55 AM   in reply to Because I said so.

If you are feeling like a lonely ranger, you may take a look at the hundreds of similar requests for newer versions of PageMaker that have been posted in this forum over the years. And while you are at it, you may also demand for upgrades for Visicalc and Wordstar. Although not here, of course.

Wishing you luck would be a joke.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 9:31 AM   in reply to Because I said so.

Check your history. It's been well documented how InDesign came about.

As for your comparison of Photoshop Elements to a light pagelayout app, that's just laughable. Everyone and his brother has a digital camera. Not everyone's doing brochures and for someone that needs low end there are plenty of cheap alternatives.

Pagemaker is dead. Get over it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 1:23 PM   in reply to Because I said so.

The fact that you said so does not add any weight to any of your assertions. Repeating them in successive posts doesn't either.

I have read in this same forum dozens of much more touching, appealing, and even understandable arguments for asking for a watered down version of InDesign, or a Win 7 - Mac OS X compatible version of PageMaker. Such arguments have not only failed to convince Adobe of the need for either. They have also failed to convince any of the goodwilled users of InDesign who stopped using PageMaker about a decade ago but still come to this forum to help people still using PageMaker.

I would like you to post here some objective claims about the feasibility of updating such ancient code as PageMaker's. When you try finding some, you may begin understanding that getting a version of PageMaker that can run in the most recent OSs is equally unlikely than getting updated versions of Visicalc and Wordstar.

Perhaps I should have saved myself writing all the above by just saying "you are wasting your time". As so very many others have done before you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 12:46 PM   in reply to Claudio González

I see this forum hasn't changed a bit, one or two real questions and the rest futile complaining.

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 2:51 PM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Hello, Jay,

Yes, it doesn't change much, though there's not much traffic.

Iechyd da! John
    22:49 09/03/2010 GMT

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 5:18 PM   in reply to Because I said so.

http://www.indesign10anniversary.com/

Download the commemorative book and turn to page 11.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 9:35 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

http://www.flamewarriors.com/warriorshtm/issues.htm

I knew there was a reason I stopped coming here.

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 3:09 AM   in reply to Because I said so.

Bacause I said so, you may find Bob and Big John's responses to you post a somewhat harsh. I'd call them suscinct and to the point. Nevertheless, they are quite correct. PM is dead. PM will NOT be fixed, upgraded or updated to run on Win Vista, Win 7 or the latest version of Mac OS X. So from that point of view, you HAVE to get over it! Unless of course you continue to run Win 2000 or XP.

Of course, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. One option is to use Win 7's XP mode. I do not have time to go into haow XP Mode works. Suffice to say that you need Win 7 Pro or Ultimate and an Intel or AMD cpu that supports virtualisation. How good is it? Well, I use an acient DOS program. on Win XP mode and it runs perfectly well. In this case I have no choice other than to use a true copy Win XP (which has nver been installed on this PC). XP mode is a perfectly viable alternative to this.

That said, I would NOT run a complex app such as PM on Win XP mode. Not that it would not work, but more from the point of view that XP Mode should be seen as a temporary fix or where an old program has to be used which will NOT gain any upgrades or updates and where NO OTHER alternative program exists, such as my old DOS program.

With PM, there is an upgrade called InDesign. Yes, you may not like this situation, and neither did I a few years ago. However, the writing was on the wall for PM as soon as InDesign was announced in 1999 and launched in 2000. PM was then 'downshifted' into becoming a business publishing platform to compete more with the likes of MS Publisher, hence the more business orientated marketing. As time went on it became clear that the future of Adobe's publishing focus was InDesign, even though I was assured at an Adobe seminar years ago that PM would continue with more InDesign features!

Remember, InDesign was not only a response to the technical challenges og making PM comlient with thae latest Win and Mac OS's, it was also a response to QuarkXpress which had left PM far behind by 1992.

Adobe is not the only answer of course. No one is forcing you to use InDesign. If I were you, I'd strongly consider PagePlus. It runs on Win Vista and 7 and no doubt packs a lot more up to date featutes than PM 7 does right now. It is also updated, upgraded AND supported! Or if you're happy to use what is essentially a drawing program with some DTP options, give CorelDraw a look.

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 4:18 AM   in reply to Because I said so.

Without going into the whys of it, I am writing a book that has taken years and will take many more years. In this time, we have gone from W98 to XP to W7. I am not a professional, am not working for a company that will spring for Indesign or whatever will come after, so am paying for everything out of my own pocket. It took me probably a year to learn how to use Pagemaker. I don't have that many years left that I can afford to take time away from writing to learn a new program every time someone gets a notion to come out with a new one and make the old obsolete. Nor am I going to bankrupt myself paying for whatever comes after Pagemaker and the operating system it will work on.

My workaround is to take very good care of my computer with W98SE and Pagemaker 6.5 on it. And hope that rtf  files remains universal.

Does anyone see a better way for me? If so, I am all ears.

My main point here is that please quit shouting at us that we should, must, upgrade. This is not an option for some of us. And quit shouting at us  that Pagemaker must be upgraded. We have no control over this,and it ain't going to happen.

One last comment. When I was struggling to learn Pagemaker, this forum helped me through the worst problems. It was then and is now comforting to know there are people out there I can turn to when I need help.

Carole

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 4:54 AM   in reply to Carole Caruso

Hi Carole,

I'm afraid you're missing the message here. The "shouting" is at people who think Adobe has some kind obligation to keep updating PM.

We're not telling you that you must upgrade. We're telling you that if you want to keep using PM then you must keep your old operating system and computer.

Bottom line is that you can't upgrade to new computers and operating systems in a vacuum. Since you're keeping that old dinosaur with Win 98 on it, I assume you understand that.

If you go back to my previous post, you'll see a link and some notes on a great history book on InDesign. Please download it and read it. It's an excellent read for anyone even remotely interested in the history of DTP.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 5:17 AM   in reply to Carole Caruso

Don't get me wrong. If you wish to continue to use PM, then by all means do so. I for one will not badger you into moving to InDesign. Just be aware that technology marches on. Take Windows. You say you use Win 98. Fine. Not only has support for Win 98 ended (you probably know this of course) long ago, it is more vulnerable to on-line threats.

Even Win XP is on borrowed time. Yep, it's supported by MS for another 4 years. However, the newest hard drives from 2011 will not support the 'obsolete' file systems supported by Win XP and older. Win Vista and above as well as the latest OS X and Linux post 2009 will be supported.

See:

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18032/1/

So a change in hardware may well force you into an OS upgrade which in turn forces you to move from PM to InDesign (or something else). Of course, old Win XP compatible hard drives will still be available in 2011. However, what if your current hard drive dies? In fact if, but when. All hard drives wear out at some point, and the fact that you use Win 98 suggests that you've had yours quite a while. Your current hard drive is amost certainly IDE. 90% or more of new hard drives now are SATA!  IDE drives are available, but only just!

I don't think you need bankrupt yourself, hence my prior suggstion of something like PagePlus. However, if PM is working for you, by all means continue to use it. Just take note that events may sideline you into an upgrade at some point. Better to take charge sooner rather than later.

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 5:20 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob,

Thanks for that link. I must have missed it for some reason. Will read it later whaen i have more time. I have a book on Adobe by the same author I believe!

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2010 4:28 PM   in reply to Because I said so.

Crazy? No!

Stubborn, YES!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2010 4:56 PM   in reply to Because I said so.

"But at some point everyone (yes even the many readers of this thread) is going to reach their own personal point of being done with upgrading.  You may not believe me, but it's true.By the way, I appreciate every response, even those that told me I'm crazy, because I know that at some level I AM crazy.  You guys are all going to reach that level of crazy too- some day."

AMEN to that!  At the age of 78 years, I don't want to learn any more programs. I just want to be left alone to use and enjoy those I need and know how to use. And PM65 happens to be one of those programs.

Carole

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2010 6:19 PM   in reply to Carole Caruso

Carole Caruso wrote:

"But at some point everyone (yes even the many readers of this thread) is going to reach their own personal point of being done with upgrading.  You may not believe me, but it's true.By the way, I appreciate every response, even those that told me I'm crazy, because I know that at some level I AM crazy.  You guys are all going to reach that level of crazy too- some day."

AMEN to that!  At the age of 78 years, I don't want to learn any more programs. I just want to be left alone to use and enjoy those I need and know how to use. And PM65 happens to be one of those programs.

Carole

I think nobody around here would criticize you for feeling that way. By all means, do keep an old computer that can run smoothly all the programs you love, and continue enjoying them. What we do criticize is people who feel entitled to have new versions of programs that have been dead for years and years, and use them under operating systems that were created more that a decade after their deaths. Just because they say so, ignoring the hundreds if not thousands of messages that have been posted in many very long threads in which the matter has been been discussed with much better arguments and with the same result: none at all.

Incidentally, at my own 75 years, I still try to keep as much up to date as I can. And I haven't opened a single PageMaker file in many years. At least, not using PageMaker, although I have worked on many ancient PM files using InDesign. I still think PageMaker was a superb program for its epoch, but it is a program that has been greatly exceeded by others. And although I fully sympathize with those who don't feel the need for anything better, please don't expect everyone to keep living in the past.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2010 7:38 PM   in reply to Because I said so.
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Because I said so. wrote:

.I mean, I can take the new if it's better, or if I see a reason to abandon the old.Cheers!

InDesign is much better than PageMaker. PageMaker was discontinued because nobody cared to keep the code up to date, as MS has obviously done with the Office suite, and therefore it became nearly impossible to update/upgrade it. InDesign was the natural continuation of PageMaker, but completely rewritten in modern code. Aren't those good enough reasons to abandon the old?. Just "because I said so" isn't a very good reason for anything -in my opinion at least.

And could you please try to do something about the stupid message at the bottom of every new post of yours?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2010 3:16 PM   in reply to Because I said so.

SIR DO I EVER AGREE WITH YOU!! I've been a loyal PageMaker user since way back in the Aldus days.(PM2) I loved the ease of use PageMaker offered, yet it did quite a bit in graphic design. I've done simple newsletters to really nice, expensive four color brochures with PageMaker. Tried Quark (I call it QuirkXpress) and several other page layout programs... didn't care much for any of them. PageMaker was always the program I'd end up going to.

I have a ton of software written for the Motorola processor, IE: PageMaker, PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc, etc. I'll be damned if I'm going to go through the expense and huge learning curve just to use the new Intel-Mac. Everyone told me to go to InDesign, which I did, but hated using it. It was big and powerful true, but much too complicated. So I bought the upgrade thinking maybe the newer version would be more PageMaker-like... ha screwed again.

I bought a new Intel-based iMac and was shocked that it wouldn't run 95% of my applications since the advent of OS 10.5. (a small detail the salesperson neglected to tell me.) After I dropped a couple of grand on the iMac I ended up having to buy an old PowerMac Quad 2.5GHz (the last and fastest machine before Intel entered the Mac picture.) Now I do my graphics work on the PowerMac, slower than I'd like but usable. The iMac was used for e-mail and web surfing... too nice a machine for that kind of duty, so I sold it. Now I'm using the slower Mac relic for everything.

Supposedly there is emulation software out there allowing older programs to run on the Intel-based Macs. SheepShaver is one, free but I couldn't figure it out. I just got a program called Chubby Bunny (who names these things anyway?) Both available by Googling their respective names.

One last thought. The main reason I will not use InDesign is that with PageMaker I can copy text off the Internet and paste it directly into my page layout. Something I do a LOT. That avoids having to re-key everything. This small feat of copying and pasting text from a web page is something InDesign couldn't do. It comes out as an uneditable block of crap! Adobe, fix that and maybe, just maybe I'll embrace InDesign once again.

Thank you for allowing me to rant.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2010 3:22 PM   in reply to InSanelyMe

You might just want to try paste without formatting in ID along with setting your clipboard preference to Text Only when pasting text and tables from Other Applications.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2010 5:45 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the e-mail regarding ID.  Which version of InDesign are 

you speaking of?  I have 2.0 which runs on my PPC Mac and 3.0 (CS) 

that runs on Intel (iMac) which I no longer have.

At my wife's suggestion I downloaded the newest version, which of 

course will not even think of installing on my old PowerMac. So I 

guess I'm rather stuck. Funny thing is some web sites I can copy and 

paste into ID 2.0 without problems, but the one I have the difficulty 

with is one I must use fairly often.

Do you know of any emulators that will allow me to run PageMaker on 

an Intel Mac?

Once again, thanks for the input.

Regards,

Chuck Bay

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2010 5:55 PM   in reply to InSanelyMe

I wish I could help, but I can't. I don't even remember CS. I have CS3-CS5 installed in Win 7-64 and Snow Leopard.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2010 9:03 AM   in reply to Because I said so.

Sorry for the looooong rant about PageMaker/Adobe, but your post hit 

a nerve. A raw nerve ever since Adobe abandoned PageMaker. I don't 

use a PC for graphics, just online games etc. Besides, I'd have to 

buy yet another software package! No thanks Adobe.

Good luck with the house plans. You'd be surprised (maybe not) all 

the stuff I've done in PageMaker 6 & 6.5.  Thanks for the return e-mail.

Chuck

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2010 9:20 AM   in reply to InSanelyMe

The abandoment was explained over and over again. And once more I'll ask...if Adobe had named InDesign Pagemaker 8 would you still be here complaining?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2010 11:08 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I would still complain because InDesign 

doesn't do some of the things PageMaker 6 & 6.5 did. Don't get me 

wrong I'm sure InDesign is a great program; very powerful, slick and 

full of features... I just wish Adobe would have kept some of the 

basic things from PageMaker. I understand progress, and innovation... 

even technology changes. Lord knows I've been through enough of them 

in the 25+ years I've been involved with graphics.

I don't know about subsequent versions of InDesign, but 2.0 and 3.0 

(CS) could not easily copy and paste text from web pages... a pretty 

basic function, something PageMaker does with ease.

Thanks again,

Chuck

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2010 11:18 AM   in reply to InSanelyMe

I'm with you, Chuck...and I've voiced my opinions on the virtues of PM6.5 and 7.0 many times on this forum. But I'm not a major corporation using thousands of copies of the software so my voice doesn't  count.

Let's all remember that converting a single page publication from PM to ID is relatively easy. Converting hundreds or thousands of them, or many multi-page publications is a royal pain. Just try large catalogs.

But, Chuck, you left out my favorite PM feature...NO frames! To insert a photo, just Cntrl-D, click, enter! Bingo, you've got it. Want to alter the size? Grab a corner, shift and go. Easy. Never needing frames or predetermining the size of a photo when you have hundreds to deal with in a catalog is a major, major time saver.

BRING BACK PAGEMAKER!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points