• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to create the temporary folder. Error 183 when starting Distiller

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2009 Jul 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New information discovered - see end of message!

Full error message is (window title is Acrobat Distiller):

"Unable to create the temporary folder

Error: 183 - cannot create a file when that file already exists."

I have no idea what file or what folder it is referring to. This is on an x86 Vista notebook and the message comes up when starting the notebook and also if you manually start Distiller 8. Updating did not help, nor did turning off the UAC, or running Distiller as Administrator. In the latter case, Distiller will open correctly, but the next time you need to use it, it fails. With the UAC turned off, the behavior is for it to show the Distiller window for a fraction of a second and close immediately. I also gave the user full rights to the C:\Program Files\Adobe folder and lower. Made no difference.

Coincidental with this is that the PDFMOfficeAddIn.dll add-in will not enable in Word - when it is checked, and I hit OK, I get the message:

"The connected state of Office Add-Ins registered in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE cannot be changed."

All of this is going on when logged in as an administrator. I have seen folks post about this issue, but no answers that actually fiux the problem, just suggest what I have already tried. Anyone seen this one?

The user is highly mobile, so I am not going to have a chance to work on her computer again until next week.

NEW INFO

I tried removing and reinstalling as administrator and the problem remains. However while trying to troubleshoot, I discovered some more details.

The message is being thrown when acrotray.exe is started as a process in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Control Set\Run and then tries to run acrodist.exe (which fails, BTW). If I don't let it run there and run acrotray,exe as administrator, then acrodist.exe runs as a process without an error. Additionally, stopping it from running in the registry, and then starting MS Word, the Acrobat add-in does load and even though there is an error thown, it still creates the PDF! I have other Vista 32 notebooks running various Acrobat versions with no problems.

Another key thing I found out is that Acrobat started throwing the error after an HP Scanjet 8400 and its software were installed. I tried explicitly giving the user (already an administrator) full rights to the Acrobat, HP and Read IRIS directories. Did not help the problem. I have to think that there is some interaction there, but sure don't know what it is.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 05, 2010 Mar 05, 2010

I cannot believe the fix is this simple, but Distiller is trying to create a file in the Windows Temp directory in a file called Adobe Distiller.  I gave permissions to the users for this folder and the problem went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2009 Jul 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just helped me: we used to have massive problems on our machines running Acrobat 9.0 because of roaming profiles and a UNC path. Before the 9.1 update, we had to edit the registry at: hkey current user/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/explorer/user shell folders. Edit the appdata key to point to the local profile, reboot and bingo. Works without a problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2009 Jul 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as I can get my hands on her notebook again, I will try it out. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2010 Mar 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot believe the fix is this simple, but Distiller is trying to create a file in the Windows Temp directory in a file called Adobe Distiller.  I gave permissions to the users for this folder and the problem went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2010 Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having same problem? have you resolved it yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having same problem?

We don't know.

have you resolved it yet?

Read the replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I was able to stop the message was to disable it in the auto- load up in my "system confiig". I can now reboot and it works OK.

God Bless,

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2010 Jun 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we wound up doing is removing the OCR program that came with the HP scanner attached to the noteb

ook. We replaced the OCR program with Omnipage. Do any of you have an HP scanner installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what i did to eliminate that error message, i don't think it eliminated th

e problem but now i can reboot and log in OK, was 2 things:

1. i went into my system registry and unchecked to start at startup and then disavled it.
  2. i also had to go to each adobe icon, right click, go to properites, and than make all selections set to be administator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we got it resolved by giving the user modify rights to the Windows Temp directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I cant figure out where to go to give permission, I desperately need a in depth step by step please!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines