Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PDF problem with old Pagemaker 6.5

Sep 3, 2008 8:14 AM

problem:
I am working on a book using Pagemaker 6.5 and need to make a PDF for an online self publishing company. When I try to export to PDF, I get a message from Adobe Distiller 3.0 that says I must install a post script printer driver. Should I install the Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver Installer 1.0.6 ?? The info page for the driver says that this driver is not for non post script printers (my printer is non post script according to the manual). But I am not trying to print, just produce a PDF.

Here's what I have come up with:
I will use acrobat.com to produce the pdf online. But it requires a .ps file. How to get this?

I could get a newer version of Acrobat/pagemaker but don't want to spend the money yet since we are considering switching platforms. Oh, and the new version of Acrobat won't even fit on the old PC.

I am trying to limp my old computer/programs along until this project is finished. I realize I am in over my head. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Siri

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2008 3:39 PM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    Yes, you need to install a Postscript driver.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1500

You will need a PPD too.
    * John Davies, "8.10 - Looking for a printer driver or PPD? Mac or Win?" #1, 4 Apr 2003 4:15 pm

Which version of windows are you using?

Also PM6.5 is VERY old, and it's hard to remember what's best as there are dozens of updates which also may need to be installed as well.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=34&platform =Windows

Iechyd da! John
    00:38 04/09/2008 BST

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 12:19 AM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    > The info page for the driver says that this driver is not for non post script printers (my printer is non post script according to the manual).
    > But I am not trying to print, just produce a PDF.

That's fine. You can have different printer drivers and use them for
    different things.

Be sure you aren't trying to run PageMaker 6.5 on an unsupported
    version of Windows like Windows 2000, XP or Vista.

>I could get a newer version of Acrobat/pagemaker

Probably not the ideal solution at present.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 1:53 PM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    Ah, what a refreshing attitude.

Good for you. You should take note that Adobe will be announcing CS4 on
    September 23.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2008 8:43 AM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    In 1998 I used Page Maker 6.5 to write and save a copy of a book I wrote. The book needs updating and republishing and I can no longer open the file.

I am presently using XP Pro and it won't open the file.

My question is: What can I do? Is there a way to get this file translated into a document file? Page Maker 6.5 is not even on this computer.

Please Help. Thank you.

Sal Smario
    Adobe ID #11401243
    chn@chn-net.com

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2008 8:53 AM   in reply to (Sal_Smario)
    Download the 7.0 demo and open the file. The demo is good for 30 days.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2008 9:24 AM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    First of all, sorry for my poor English but Ill try to make myself understand.

Im an old Brazilian warrior that still used page maker 6.5 with windows 98 till last week. Yes, I live on Earth.

After installing XP this week, my PM 6.5 is working with one problem.

On my old W98 I had installed an Unity 1800XL post-script printer (main printer) and also a HP 6MP and a linotronic 530 (all of them with their PPD). I also had an Acrobat PDFwriter and a Distiler Assistant v3.01.

Exporting PDF files was a piece of cake on PM65, I was able to select resolution, page setup and everything.
    After updating the XP I missed the Unity 1800XL and I cant export PDF flies directly from PM65. I can create an PS file and after that use de distiller to convert it to PDF.
    Is there any way to continue exporting PDF directly from PM65?

Thaks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2008 3:22 PM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    I bought PageMaker 6.5 off of eBay but I cannot install it on my XP machine. Does anyone know how I can install pM6.5 on XP sp2?

Thanks for your help!
    pjacobs837@yahoo.com

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2008 12:58 AM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2009 4:30 PM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    On Windows PM 7 I have produced a 60-page chapter for an illustrated book. The diagrams comprise a paper filled line rectangle, with a black filled rectangle behind it. The black rectangle is nudged to the right and to the bottom, to create a black drop shadow. I placed the eps diagram over it, to the front layer.

I need to produce pdf file. So, I generated a postscript file; then used Adobe 9 distiller to produce a pdf.

Everything is perfect up to page 28. After this page, all of the diagrams show the black rectangle through the paper-filled ones.

I have double-checked PageMaker diagrams, and even tried to generate just one of the rogue pages but it still shows the black rectangle in Adobe Reader. All text and fonts are perfect.

Please, any help appreciated! Thanks

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2009 4:32 PM   in reply to John Breeds
    Is the paper fill set to overprint?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2009 12:03 PM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    I HAVE PAGE MAKER 6.5 ON A VISTA MACHINE AND WHEN I GO TO PRINT IT DISAPPEARS. I AM ON A NETWORK, AND ALREADY HAVE POSTSCRIPT DRIVERS INSTALLED AND ALL LOOKS OKAY UNTIL I PRINT. THE PRINTING DISAPPEARS.
    I NOTICE THAT DISTILLER IS NOT IN THE START-UP. COULD THAT BE THE PROBLEM.
    CAN YOU HELP

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2009 11:48 AM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    > > PAGE MAKER 6.5 ON A VISTA MACHINE

That's the problem.

See these FAQs:
    * John Davies, "7.9 - PageMaker and Microsoft Windows Vista" #1, 20 Mar 2007 6:31 pm
    * Donald Gruener, "7.1 - PageMaker 6.5 (or older) on Windows XP" #1, 25 Jan 2002 7:52 am

Either install PM65 on a Win2K or Win98 PC or move on and up to InDesign.
    * John Davies, "Moving on to InDesign" #1, 24 Jan 2006 3:03 pm

Iechyd da! John
    19:47 05/02/2009 GMT

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2009 7:01 PM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    And please don't use all caps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2009 9:38 AM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    I'm sure these questions have been answered before and I've tried to fix my problem by looking above, but still issue. My old Windows 98 computer died so I got an XP and reinstalled Pagemaker 6.5. It worked well for a about a week, but then stuff started acting crazy. I get the error message "The instruction at "0x00000000" reference memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read"" when trying to distill one file. When trying to distill another file, get the error message "Saving Postscript output failed".

I've downloaded the Postscript Driver, the Adobe update to Pagemaker 6.5 (to make it 6.52), installed and uninstalled Pagemaker 6.5 several times, and etc. Any thoughts on how to get things back working correctly?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2009 10:17 AM   in reply to (David_Greenwald)
    PM 6.5 is not supported on anything later than Win 98. I recommend
    dumping it altogether and moving to InDesign. Adobe is offering a very
    generous upgrade price.

Paying for PM 7 is throwing good money after bad and still won't
    guarantee you won't have problems.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2009 6:13 AM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)
    Absolutely.

"PM ceased development in 2002, almost 7 years ago. Any help, support or advice is now based on archives, but for PM to operate properly, you must have your version installed on a contemporary version of Windows."

Iechyd da! John
    14:13 01/03/2009 GMT

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2010 2:18 PM   in reply to (Siri_Jones)

A thought.  Yes, it is possible to make PM6.5 run on a WindowsXP machine.  I've done it three times now.

What you do is DON't let it install from the popup menu.  Right-click, hit (I think) "explore," then on the setup file right-click and find "properties."  You want the tab that says "compatibility."  Set it so it says "Windows 98."  Then go back, hit "setup" (DON'T let it setup from the popup), and it will do fine. OOne of the nice features of Windows XP is it will run software built for older versions of Windows (Vista will not, by the way), and I have been ab le to keep using some antique software that isn't made any more--including Acrobat 5.0, by the way.

And I have the same problem converting a *.p65 file to Acrobat *.pdf y'all have described.  PageMaker says I need a postscript printer driver.  I have no idea whether I get that from the printer manufacturer or Adobe.  I am not particularly interested in paying to upgrade either PageMaker or Acrobat, as they both work just fine (and Adobe wasn't offering *me* any discounts on anything).

The work-around I have on my home computer is a little kludgy, but it works.  I found and installed Microsoft's "Virtual PC" program (vintage 2004), which was designed, I think, to enable Windows computers to run Mac software.  I installed Windows 98, PageMaker, and Acrobat 5.0 on the "virtual PC."  When I want to convert a PM file to Acrobat, I copy it to the virtual PC, open it ijn PM there, and convert it to Acrobat, and copy the Acrobat file back.  And Acrobat Reader 9.3 will open and read it just fine.

My problem at the office is I can't get the "virtual PC" program any more--Microsoft was, at last check, making it only for Windows Vista (which I will not let anywhere near a computer I intend to use).  So I'm back to the old problem--unless I e-mail the PageMaker file from the office to home, and convert it there.  I think I'm getting way too kludgy doing that.  Ideas?  Thanks.

Joe

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2010 2:21 PM   in reply to roxhythe

Same idea I offer anyone. Leave the past behind and embrace the present with InDesign.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2010 2:35 PM   in reply to roxhythe

Joe...

1. The same disks that gave you PM5 and Acrobat 5.0 also gave you Adobe Distiller. Find it. Install it.
    2. When your PM file is ready, under Print Option in the Print dialog boxes, click Write PostScript to File. Type in a file name.
    3. After that's done, start Distiller and convert that file to PDF.

Easy, eh?

That works in PM 5, 6.5, and 7.

If that's your only problem, you don't need ID. You already have the stuff you need.

BTW, I've run hundreds of PM6.5 files on WinXP. Still am. Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2010 3:14 PM   in reply to ReneGnam

Cool.  I will do that.  Thank you.

Joe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)