Skip navigation

Uninstalling Bonjour service from Photoshop CS3?

Apr 17, 2007 11:27 PM

Latest reply: Chris Cox, Jun 19, 2010 11:16 PM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2007 8:14 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    >Surely it's better to turn off a light bulb by unscrewing it rather than using the wall switch?

personally, i use rocks. first i remove the light cover. then i step back about ten paces and pick up the pile of good sized rocks i've collected just for the purpose of turning off the lights. then i start chucking rocks at the bare bulb. sure there are some holes in the ceiling. and i broke the picture of my mother in law on the wall with a bad ricochet, but darn it, i get that light off, almost every time! :)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2007 10:17 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    XD

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2007 11:02 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    dave milbut - 5:26pm Aug 3, 07 PST (#78 of 81)

next time don't go messing with your registry. just read post #1! (I know, nobody reads post #1)

Dave,
    I went back and read post #1. So far it seems to work just fine. Thanks for the tip.

And, to everyone else, thanks for the entertainment and education. Now I know why the Beatles broke up, the cause of global warming and why gas prices continue to rise. John J, you've been a very busy guy!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2007 10:34 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    >I went back and read post #1.

OH CRUD! nobody reads post #1! i hope i put something useful in there! :)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2007 10:41 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Just a little more info on Bonjour and the string in the registry.
    I found it in these registry locations on my WinXP SP2 pc.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Bonjour Service
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Bonjour Service

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2007 10:44 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    As a tech, one of my favorite tools is ServiWin (free): http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/serviwin.html It's an awesome little Windows Service controller. Applicability here: You can turn off Bonjour (or whatever else you want) with just a couple of mouse clicks and turn it back on when/if you need it. No mucking about with the registry or uninstalling something you end up needing later; just turn it off w/ServiWin to free up the resources and turn it back on when you need it.

Naturally, it'll work for services other than Bonjour, too :) I, for example, turn off Windows Auto Update until I'm ready to do an update run. Enable the service, get/install the updates, disable the service to free resources, carry on. Actually, I do the same for everybody's update service...they'll phone home when *I* want them to!.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2007 4:23 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    >You can turn off Bonjour (or whatever else you want) with just a couple of mouse clicks and turn it back on when/if you need it.

as a tech, you mean it works just like, erm, the services applet in admin tools folder of the control panel? :) (nobody reads post #1!!! XD)

(i'll check the utility though, thanks for the tip! ;) )

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2007 4:36 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    The Ultimate Troubleshooter is my favourite.

Screenshot.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2007 8:24 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Use Autoruns..
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4686

AND

Hijackthis entries..
    Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll

AND

Go here and look for TurnOffBonjour.exe
    http://download.gizmoproject.com/jasmine/

AND
    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks
    (BE CAREFUL!)
    http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Adobe, make lighter Apps.. its no wonder everyone is dumping adobe PDF reader and going with Foxit.
    Love the macromedia products you just bought and your direction and not dumping fireworks.. but cannot stand the spyware.

Matt
    gold coast support [at] broadbeachqld.com

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2007 7:53 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    YES, VIRGINIA, there is a way to 'uninstall' Bonjour... Go into task manager window (1st!) select mDNSResponder.exe choose 'end process tree' and shut the service down. Then (2nd!) go to the Bonjour folder in 'Program Files' cut and paste the contained .dll file to the System32 dllcache folder in your Windows Files. Then (3rd) rename the mDNSResponder.exe file with a different extension, such as .jpg (you will be given an alert that this may cause the program to quit responding properly... which of course is part of what we are doing here!). Then delete the file, and the Bonjour Folder, be sure to then = empty trash. And Finally go into Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services (as Root or 'Admin') and select the ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## service string, click mouse menu and properties and DISABLE the service... a lot of work for a very nice way to plug a security hole. If you have a firewall it helps to stop or lock 'all internet connections'. And PAUSE your AV. Upon completion of the above tasks restart AV FIRST,.. then firewall.
    Respectfully yours,
    Manuel Colunga-Hernandez
    SunFighterComix.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2008 3:05 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    First of all disabling a service is not uninstalling it, it still takes up unnecessary bloat on the disk.

Second, they the hell are there so many morons posting in this thread? Going on about all kinds of optopic ****.

Adobe should clearly include an uninstall option for all the unnecessary crap they install - for the sick greedy amounts they demand from people they should offer some service back.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2008 3:28 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Wise men who might stoop to calling others morons do well to check their own *** for the same type of splinter first.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2008 6:05 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    >it still takes up unnecessary bloat on the disk.

here's a quarter kid. go buy another 500 meg.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2008 8:34 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    >here's a quarter kid. go buy another 500 meg.

For me it isn't about space, got plenty of that, but I wonder why does it even exist? No I didn't bother reading post 1. I jumped into this thread at post 51.

I noticed that it tries to install itself in the background without warning so I added it to my list of blocked applications. Still, why does bonjour service try to install itself in stealth mode when all I wanted to install was Photoshop CS3 and Acrobat 8?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2008 8:52 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Bonjour is an Apple-developed network-asset-sharing protocol. Given that Photoshop doesn't support dealing with assets on a network, even with Bonjour installed, I'm not sure what its point is in a Photoshop installation. I have never seen any evidence that Bonjour is in any way contributing to my use of Photoshop -- no Bonjour screens for discovering network files, printers, etc. Perhaps it's used to discover Version Cue servers, for those who have a suite installed. According to Apple's Bonjour for Windows page:
    >Bonjour for Windows includes a plugin to discover advertised HTTP servers using Internet Explorer. Click the Bonjour icon in the Internet Explorer toolbar to enable Bonjour browsing. If you have Bonjour devices on your local network with embedded HTTP (Web) servers, they will appear in the list.

>The Bonjour Printer Wizard is also included and allows Windows computers to print to Bonjour networked printers, including USB shared printers connected to the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express Base Stations. Since Apple first launched Bonjour in 2002, every major maker of network printers has adopted Bonjour. With the Bonjour Printer Wizard, computers using Windows can also experience the benefits of effortlessly discovering and printing to these Bonjour printers."

My Bonjour installation from PSCS3 doesn't provide me with the Bonjour printer wizard or an IE add-in. It's running as a service without any clients. Pointless.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2008 9:22 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Looks like it's time to put in a request for an "advanced install" option. I'm quite sure there are others that would appreciate having the ability to pick and choose which components get installed or don't.

The installer loaded other things I wasn't expecting like Bridge, Device Central, ExtendScript Toolkit 2, Extension Manager, LiveCycle Designer, and Stock Photos. It's like taking your car in for a brake inspection and getting hit with an overhaul. :/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2008 9:27 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Stock Photos is removed by the latest update. Presumably Adobe wasn't making any money off it. Bridge you want. Definitely. Device Central is related to "Save to Web and Devices". ExtendScript Tooolkit may be useful if you need to script things. I have no idea what LiveCycle Designer is.

It is possible to edit a file in the installer that will override the "install all" default. I have no idea what file that is, though. Adobe didn't make this entirely transparent.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2008 8:02 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Since I'm not planning on doing any "heavy" photo editing, I'm going consider looking for alternatives to Photoshop and Acrobat.

Anyone know when Photoshop Express is due to be publicly available? There was a lot of talk about it in the third quarter of last year but now it seems to have vaporized.

(Taipos [self edited]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2008 8:12 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    well good luck with that. don't let the door hit you in the a$* on the way out! :P :)

(psst... gimp is a fine program.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2008 8:45 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    >psst... gimp is a fine program.

It is, that's why it's number one in the list I posted in that other place I won't talk about. ;) What I don't like about Paint.NET is that it's limited to Windows, Gimp can run on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS.

Started a new thread on the other side to stop hi-jacking this one.

Thanks for the feedback, davo!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2008 4:30 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Yeah its amazing those idiots keep including all kinds of irrelevant bloat crap.

On XP, if you open a command line ("run/cmd")

and type

sc delete "bonjour service"

and reboot, it removes the service

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2008 4:42 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Oh, more here on how to get rid of adobes pestware:
    http://blog.kakkoi.net/adobe/adobe-photoshop-cs3-removed-bonjour/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2008 1:56 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    "not when it's disabled in the services applet. then it never starts."

I beg to differ- I have it shut off, blocked off 27 ways from Sunday and it starts.

VIRUS makers are now using this with the IE -EMBED command with brand new Malware that is just abotu impossible to DELETE.

DELETING Bonjour does not work, deleting the FILES in the Program Files Folder does not work- Once Bonjour has ben Virus-ised, it cannot be shut off, and it cannot be DELETED.

I found this:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/02/10/how-to-uninstall-or-rem ove-bonjour-mdnsresponderexe/

If this proces works, I come and recommend using it.

This thing needs to be RIPPED out of all adobe products by the ROOTS! Please, develope a way to uninstall it!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2008 2:44 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    >VIRUS makers are now using this with the IE -EMBED command with brand new Malware that is just abotu impossible to DELETE.

scary. don't use IE.

http://www.mozilla.org

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2008 6:11 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Thanks for the good chuckle everyone. B)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2008 10:49 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Hey! You want I should come and chuckle over there?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2008 5:33 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Disable service and restart the system. Go to program files and delete bonjour folder. Then you can edit the regs by searching for the service as "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##". Delete all and restart. There should be no problems this way at all. If the folder in program files fails to delete ... open it and rename the files inside - restart the system and then proceed to delete again before editing regs.
    That should work with no problems - I hope - it did here and I will never install any Apple software on my Vista system for whatever reason.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2009 2:35 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    Thank you for answer on a annoying problem with the stupid Bonjour service... Havent tried the program that another one recommanded. But to do it inside in tools was a discovery for me. thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2009 12:45 PM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)
    To remove Bonjour:

1. Open a Windows command prompt and type the following command:
    "C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe" -remove
    2. Navigate to the following folder in Windows Explorer: C:\Program Files\Bonjour
    3. Rename the mdnsNSP.dll file in that folder to mdnsNSP.old
    4. Restart your computer
    5. Delete the the Program Files\Bonjour folder

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 8:28 AM   in reply to jgregson

Hello there,

I was drawn to this post as I have been trying to install CS3 on a Windows 7 x64 machine. Although this thread is quite old now I thought this might help someone.

CS3 runs Apples Bonjour for windows. I found that when you install CS3 on Windows 7 or Vista machine a additional route is added to the default gateway. This 0.0.0.0 address issue allowed me to navigate to the local network but stopped me getting to the internet or any of my other subnets.

I found this thread and went down the route of uninstalling the Bonjour's associated files and services but for me it screwed my machine and I had to restore. In the end I found a thread that pointed out that the files installed by CS3, found in the 'Program Files (x86)\Bonjour' where dated 2006.

If you go to the Mac website you'll find the latest program for download in a x64 bit version. Install this over the top (no need to remove the current Bonjour files) and after a reboot you should find your network connectivity returns.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2010 6:18 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)

Just chiming in. This adobe/bonjour bug blocking internet access by touching the winsock network stack and forcing a useless 0.0.0.0 gateway is still alive & kicking.

I had to go through the bonjour disable & remove steps on a fresh windows 7 32 bit client computer yesterday. Incredible waste of my time. Thanks adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2010 6:59 AM   in reply to annoyingbeyondbelief

Did you try just downloading and installing the latest version of Bonjour over the top of the one provided with CS3? I found it corrected the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2010 2:54 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)

Actually Bonjour is a security service for Adobe PS CS3 I beleive and the program wont run without it being enabled.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2010 3:56 AM   in reply to (Karlsson_Mikael)

I guess the "annoyed one" will figure out that CS3 won't run without that service installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2010 2:46 PM   in reply to dec9

yup:)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2010 11:16 PM   in reply to Mike Miller

Bonjour has nothing to do with security.  Where did you get that?

It's just a network standard for auto-discovering things on the network (servers, printers, etc.).

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)