May 21, 2010 8:31 AM   in reply to Grimm.nl

Do you guys also have CS4 installed?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2010 8:46 AM   in reply to cayennecode

cayennecode wrote:

Do you guys also have CS4 installed?

Yes, I also have CS4 installed along side of CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 9:22 AM   in reply to freicook

I also have CS4 installed at the moment, but have tried with it installed, without it installed, everything

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2010 3:46 PM   in reply to freicook

+1, wishform filled - IMO this is a serious backward step for Dw.

I consider use of FileVault a best practice for MacBooks at least - those project files need protection should the device gets lost or stolen.

And sorry, but I am a little disappointed with the dismissive nature of responses from the CPs on this thread and lack of any engagement so far from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2010 2:41 AM   in reply to creacog -

creacog - wrote:

I am a little disappointed with the dismissive nature of responses from the CPs on this thread and lack of any engagement so far from Adobe.

Adobe Community Professionals tend to have expertise in how to use one or more Adobe programs. They are not software engineers with an intimate knowledge of how Adobe installation programs interact with different configurations of operating systems.

I fully sympathize with people who are having installation problems, but I don't have the technical expertise to resolve the issue. What I can tell you is that the Dreamweaver engineers have been informed by myself and at least one other ACP. But as far as I know, it's not so much a Dreamweaver issue as a problem with the installer. The installer is a separate program created by a separate team.

I can also tell you that a high proportion of beta testers were using Mac OS X, and testing involved installing and uninstalling new builds of Dreamweaver several times a month. Occasionally, testers did have installation problems. These were invariably caused by incompatible components from a previous build that had not been removed successfully. Uninstalling and then running the CS5 Clean script before reinstalling always fixed the problem.

I don't know what proportion of beta testers were using FileVault, if any, but it doesn't seem to be directly related, because some people are reporting problems even though they don't use FileVault. Nailing the cause of software failure is notoriously difficult. Unless you can identify steps to reproduce the problem 100% of the time, it means there are unknown factors affecting the situation. Until those factors can be identified, it's impossible to offer a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2010 4:46 AM   in reply to David_Powers

@David: thanks for the reply. You time is appreciated, and there is certainly no expectation on my part for you to personally resolve an issue that is as far beyond your control as it is ours. I was just concerned that your previous replies did not seem to appreciate how important/critical FileVault is for those who are using it.

There seems to be a mix of problems. From this thread, it appears a core problem of permissions and some process required by Dw not having the right permissions to access the user's Application Support directory. Consistently, if your FileVault is on, there's nothing you can do other than turn it off at the moment to get Dw CS5 working. Which is undesire-able/impossible in the use case I mentioned previously. Additionally some people are clearly experiencing the same symptoms without FileVault in use.

I have Dw CS5 running fine* on my Mac Pro. And the FileVault problem on my MacBook Pro - just loaded with files for a week away from the office.

* Very occasionally Dw CS5 shows this symptom on my Mac Pro (no FileVault). But force-quit and re-launch clears it.

So there's one or more bugs at play. My main concern and hope is to find some indication that Adobe are working to fix it, and that inability to use FileVault does not become a permanent feature or precedent for the rest of CS.

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2010 6:12 AM   in reply to David_Powers

The CPs & Adobe's response reminds me of  BP's response to the Deepwater Horizon disaster. Blame everyone else and don't take resposibilty for their own failings.

And why isn't someone from Adobe monitoring these forums These forums and others are where the problems are discussed and where praise would be issued by their users  to Adobe if they knew someone was listening. After sale service or lack thereof is what can bring down a company or make the company a hero with it's customers.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2010 8:35 AM   in reply to craigalyn

craigalyn wrote:

The CPs & Adobe's response reminds me of  BP's response to the Deepwater Horizon disaster. Blame everyone else and don't take resposibilty for their own failings.

Why do you think that I or any other community professional should take responsibility for an installation failure? Perhaps you're under the impression that ACP = Adobe employee. Community professionals are not Adobe employees. They are unpaid volunteers with expertise in one or more Adobe programs. I can help you with coding problems and understanding how to use Dreamweaver, but I'm not part of Adobe Technical or Customer Support.

It's also a bit rich to say that Adobe is blaming everyone else. As far as I can tell, there hasn't been an official Adobe response.

And why isn't someone from Adobe monitoring these forums

I agree that it would be helpful if Adobe did so. However, there are about 100 forums. Monitoring the posts in all of them would be a big undertaking.

The official forum monitored by Adobe staff is http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/adobedotcom_feedback.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 10:24 AM   in reply to freicook

This morning I posted a link to this discussion in the forum you mentioned, so now we wait (and in the meantime use Coda instead (and maybe stick with it)).

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 1:31 PM   in reply to freicook

YAY! solved it! that is to say, I solved my own issue, so maybe it will solve (some of) yours.

it's like this:

- quit Dreamweaver.

- In Finder, go to: Macintosh hd/users/<your username>/library/application support/adobe/dreamweaver cs5/en-US/

- here you will find the folder "configuration". rename it to configuration-old and restart Dreamweaver

tadaaaa...

of course, you will have to configure DW all over again..

but..

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2010 10:11 AM   in reply to freicook

The above helpful to anyone? Dreamweaver is still running smoothly on my Mac after a full day of coding. Have reinstated all my settings, so it better not crash again... *skull & crossbones*

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2010 10:17 AM   in reply to Grimm.nl

this fixed it!!!!

it's like this:

- quit Dreamweaver.

- In Finder, go to: Macintosh hd/users/<your username>/library/application support/adobe/dreamweaver cs5/en-US/

- here you will find the folder "configuration". rename it to configuration-old and restart Dreamweaver

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2010 10:42 AM   in reply to Grimm.nl

nope, didn't help here (10.6.3 with FileVault activated) - I even installed the HTML5 Pack (AdobeDreamweaver-11.0-All-Update.dmg)

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2010 10:45 AM   in reply to elRibo

didn't work for me either, and FireVault is off

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 8:21 AM   in reply to GFudge

I have been testing Dreamweaver CS5 with network accounts.  We have nfs shared accounts.  Instead of trying to find the initial files required, I symlinked the entire users Library to a local location as a test.  The application still doesn't open.  So symlinking clearly isn't going to work this time.

Each time I talk to anyone at Adobe about their performance of software and network home accounts, disappointingly they never appear to be interested.  Unfortunately, they appear to still be living in 1980-90 where everyone logs in locally.   Adobe software is the only industry standard software that we use that has shown to suffer this badly on networks.  Not only should an account be a local account, but Adobe still insist that all files must be local (including not using Firewire drives).  With the size of files now, this is becoming very unrealistic, not to mention that local files aren't backed up or protected by being stored on raids; another reason why we run network home accounts.

We can only hope that they will provide an update that will get Dreamweaver working, both on network accounts and with Filevault.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2010 11:43 AM   in reply to freicook

Just woke up my MacBook, and Dreamweaver did it again... just renamed the configuration folder and it started up again without any problem.

It seems that DW will keep doing this from time to time, which is NOT funny..

Therefore, Adobe, get us a fix that will solve this permanently!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2010 10:48 AM   in reply to freicook

I have had some success and failures with this.

I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.3

FileVault is not being used.

Non admin users with network home directories

Dreamweaver fails to launch as others described here. Changing file permissions on the network home directory did not work. But, forcing local home directory and modifying the locally created folders permissions did work. Creating a local non admin account worked as well. These are not acceptable solutions in our environment. We are a community college with teaching labs and require network based home directories.

We also had this problem with Acrobat 9 pro last year and had to revert to version 8. Hopefully Adobe resolves this problem soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 1:10 PM   in reply to Grimm.nl

Me too.

Just upgraded from CS3 to CS5.

No FileVault.

Renaming configuration file worked.... temporarily.

Now it's doing it again, 24 hours later. Arggg!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 1:45 PM   in reply to Brown Dude

yeah, you'll have to keep doing this...

5 times for me up to now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 2:31 PM   in reply to Grimm.nl

Has anyone tried exprimenting with the files inside the config folder to see which one is getting corrupted?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 10:02 PM   in reply to Brown Dude

no, haven't had the time; don't know when I will, there are a lot of files in there. So, if anyone has the opportunity to look into this, i'd be much obliged

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 7:29 AM   in reply to freicook

I too have experienced this major flaw in Dreamweaver CS5 for the Macintosh: it absolutely will not run under a FileVault enabled account. (None of the other programs in the CS5 suite I bought has this flaw.) A reputable company will assign a top priority to fixing this flaw and will also announce prominently its schedule for doing so. We will see if Adobe satisfies this criterion for being reputable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 6:11 AM   in reply to freicook

I've been having the same problem on a PC with Vista.

If you're running an Acer machine, this fix works:

http://www.egistec.com/oem-acer001/program-update.aspx

Now running fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2010 2:14 PM   in reply to freicook

I just got off the phone with Adobe Tech support and was told that a fix for this is in development.  The representative would not comment on the timeframe but did say they were trying to fix this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2010 6:02 AM   in reply to andrew_poland

yeah well, as this problem rears its ugly head almost weekly, I have been able to determine a certain trend. Most often it happens when I return from my lunchbreak and wake up my Macbook. After waking up DW is down.

My procedure: I have a current configurations folder named "configuration-replace" which is a copy of a configurations folder of DW as I want it to function. after a crash I delete "configuration", copy "configuration-replace", rename the copy to "configuration" and restart DW. all is well again.

Of course, this cannot be a permanent solution, so I expect Adobe to provide a fix for this. Otherwise I will switch to Coda, as I use DW as a deLuxe code-editor anyway..

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2010 7:54 PM   in reply to Grimm.nl

Still cannot open Dreamweaver CS5.  I uninstalled the trial, and installed from a Web Premium disc.  Same things happens.  OSX FileVault.  I can launch the app in newly created user account, but really don't have the time to setup a new primary account on the workstation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 4:08 PM   in reply to Grimm.nl

If you have FileVault turned off and you're unable to launch Dreamweaver, instead of deleting all of your Dreamweaver CS5 user config files as mentioned in some of the earlier posts, try recreating just the DVADialogPrefs.xml file as described below.

1.  Quit Dreamweaver.

2.  In Mac Finder, browse to this file:

Mac HD/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CS5/en_US/Configuration/DVADialogPrefs/DVADialogPrefs.xml

3.  Drag DVADialogPrefs.xml to the Mac desktop and rename it to DVADialogPrefsORIGINAL.xml.

4.  Restart Dreamweaver.

David Alcala

Dreamweaver QE

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 4:53 PM   in reply to David Alcala

David, Thanks for your attempt to help.

"If you have FileVault turned off ..."

Dreamweaver works fine with FileVault turned off. I need it to work when I am using an account with FileVault turned *on*.

"In Mac Finder, browse to this file:

Mac HD/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CS5/en_US/Configuration/DVADialogPrefs/DVADialogPrefs.xml
    "
    There is no folder named "DVADialogPrefs" or anything similar in the location specified above. In fact, there is no file or folder whose name includes the character string "DVAD" anywhere inside the folder
      Mac HD/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

So, I am still stuck with a very expensive program that cannot be used unless I abandon a basic security measure, which I am of course not willing to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 12:40 AM   in reply to ajayemm123873

@ajayemm123873

THANK YOU!

... This worked for me also.

I'm running an Acer with Vista as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 3:49 AM   in reply to 1BrianDC

I can find /DVADialogPrefs/DVADialogPrefs.xml in that directory, should I reinstall?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 7:27 AM   in reply to freicook

Hey All,

I ran into this same problem and wanted to post my solution which I haven't seen mentioned on here yet.

First of all, I want to give the background of my situation: 

• My OS: OS X  10.5.8 (I know, time to upgrade...)
    • FileVault Turned OFF (do not use filevault on this machine)
    • Dreamweaver CS5 had been working before.
    • Attempted all recommended solutions in this thread (*all of which seem to revolve around going to folders and changing permissions) as well as the official adobe page (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/844/cpsid_84413.html) to no avail.

My Solution:

1. I created a new user account with admin rights (same as my actual account)
    2. Logged into new account and confirmed dreamweaver  CS5 launched with no issues
    3. went to /Users/<new account>/Library/Application Support/Adobe
    4. Modified the permissions of "Dreamweaver CS5" folder to include  read/write privileges for my regular user account
    5. Logged out of new account and back into regular account
    6. went into finder and replaced the "Dreamweaver CS5" folder from /Users/<regular account >/Library/Application Support/Adobe  WITH the "Dreamweaver CS5"  from /Users/<new account>/Library/Application Support/Adobe. 
    This fixed my problem, and DW CS5 is back to working on my standard user account, hope it helps some people.
    Good Luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 10:35 AM   in reply to emt28q5

This problem might not be limited to FileVault.  But FileVault is definitely an issue.

I created a new user-account with administration privilege and FileVault OFF.  Dreamweaver CS5 launched properly with this account.  Deleted account.

I created a new user-account with administration privilege and FileVault ON.  Dreamweaver CS5 failed to launch with this account.  Deleted account.

Again I created a new user-account with administration privilege and FileVault OFF.  Dreamweaver CS5 launched properly with this account.

Unfortunately it is a requirement of the company I work for that FileVault be enabled on all workstations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 10:57 AM   in reply to cayennecode

cayennecode, I have undertaken experiments like yours. Specifically, I created a new account on my Mac with FileVault not enabled, logged on to the new account, and found that Dreamweaver CS5 worked normally. Then, I enabled FileVault on the new account, logged on again to the new account, and found that Dreamweaver CS5 would not run. Then, I disabled FileVault on that account, logged on yet again, and found that Dreamweaver CS5 had reverted to normal operation.

GET WITH IT Adobe. At the very least post information stating whether you do or do not acknowledge this problem; and if you do, whether you are or are not working on a fix; and if you are, whether you estimate the time you'll need to develop and distribute a fix will be a day, a week, a month, or what.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 12:01 PM   in reply to freicook

Here’s how I fixed the problem:

1. First quit Dreamweaver CS5 if you have in launched (or kinda launched)
    2. Open Finder and navigation to: Macintosh hd/users//library/application support/adobe/dreamweaver cs5/en-US/
    3. Here you will find the folder “configuration” … Rename this folder to ‘configurationOld’ and restart Dreamweaver

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 12:43 PM   in reply to t3ree

Yeah well, that's the same solution that I posted some time ago, but there's a better* solution:

1. quit Dreamweaver if still "running" (or something like that..)

2. go to <user>/library/application support/Dreamweaver cs5/en_US/Configuration/DVADialogPrefs/

3. delete or rename the file DVADialogPrefs.xml

4. restart Dreamweaver

5. presto!

This way, you don't need a backup of the Configuration folder so you don't lose your settings.

*just to be clear on this: the only acceptable solution is a fix by Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2010 10:51 AM   in reply to freicook

July 1, 2010. Still can't open Dreamweaver CS5 on my mac.  Any ETA on a fix?  Could really use this software this summer....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2010 4:05 AM   in reply to freicook

Joe9inety - Genius - worked for me. Dreamweaver CS5 was not loading, osX 10.5.8, filevault off. Deleted users/#me#/library/application  users/#me#/library/application support/adobe/dreamweaver cs4 and renamed it back to dreamweaver cs5. Works brilliantly. Finally, after many frustrated hours...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2010 10:40 PM   in reply to RKCChicago

I submitted a bug report and surprisingly got an answer about 5 hours later! I quote:

Yes this is something which we are working on to fix in an update.

No ETA, but at least they're working on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2010 5:18 AM   in reply to Grimm.nl

Mate I created a profile here, in order to log in and thank you for this advice.

I bought CS5 today at a shop.

I did a whole heap of permission changes, and thankfully lost *only* 40 minutes, before stumbling onto this thread.

Your fix worked a treat.

Many many thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2010 4:04 AM   in reply to Joe9inety

Joe9inety - your solution worked for me.

This was my situation.

a. Running OSX 10.6.4
    b. Firevault not enabled

c. Was running DW CS3 (dreamweaver 9) but I installed CS5 trial from Adobe web site.
    d. /User/Library/Application Support/Adobe Folder/Dreamweaver CS5 has files in it.

I tried everything, so did the following:

1. went into /User/Library/Application Support/Adobe Folder/

2. in this folder were the following folders
        a. Dreamweaver 9
        b. Dreamweaver CS5
    3. I renamed the Dreamweaver CS5 folder to Dreamweaver CS5OLD
    4. Renamed Dreamweaver 9 folder to Dreamweaver CS5
    5. Restarted Dreamweaver CS5.

Now I am using the CS5 trial no problems. (yet)

Kindest Regards
    Craig Edmonds
    Marbella, Spain

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers