Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

If I buy upgrade, can I still use previous version?

May 21, 2010 2:37 AM

I am sure this question is answered on the Adobe site or in the forums somewhere, but I can't find the answer.  I'm hoping that someone can point me to the official Adobe policy.

I am thinking of upgrading from CS4 to CS5, and one of the considerations which would affect my decision would be the ability to keep and use the older version on my 2nd computer (a laptop).  Is this allowed?   Currently I have to de-activate Photoshop on my desktop PC and activate it on my laptop in order to use it while travelling, and I always forget to do that, so I end up not using Photoshop on my laptop at all.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2010 2:54 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

You can do what you want.*

The licence covers use use on two computers.

*I always advise people to keep the old version anyway until the are completely happy with the new.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 3:05 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 11:32 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

This question is only partly answered. His subject line question is not fully answered. His specific variation of the question is answered though. I am still trying to find the answer to his Subject line question. If an owner of an eligible older version of an adobe product buys the upgrade version. Can you keep using the previous version and then install and use the new upgrade copy on a different computer?

The way this was answered so far, sounds like regardless of the upgrade, that a single version copy is allowed to be installed on a desktop and laptop for mobility reasons.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 11:54 AM   in reply to NKK_Switches

NKK_Switches wrote:

Can you keep using the previous version and then install and use the new upgrade copy on a different computer?

No, plain and simple.

You can keep using the old version on the same (2) computer(s), but you can not migrate one to a third computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 12:07 PM   in reply to D Fosse-QDEaQ1

Your phrasing of a "3rd" computer has thrown me off. But I assume your answer to be able to use the upgrade on a different computer than the previous version is running on, is not allowed.

So the answer is, if you buy and install the upgrade, you can't keep using the old version simutaniously while using the upgrade version. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 12:48 PM   in reply to NKK_Switches

To clarify: the license covers 2 machines simultaneously activated. So you can have one version on one machine and another version on the other.

But you cannot have one version on 2 machines and another version on a third.

Think of it this way: the upgrade is tied to the version you upgraded from, whether that old version is actually installed or not. So it's 2 machines and that's it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points