Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Consistent Flash 10.1/Firefox Crash

Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our application, which has run fine for the last year on all browsers and flash combinations, suddenly completely crashes any time we try to load it.  It was build using Flex 3 and hasn't generally had stability problems, but now in one configuration in will not load:

Flash Version: 10.1 (just updated it today)

Browser: Firefox 3.6.4 (newest, updated today)

I've reproduced this crash on three systems.  Firefox Mac works fine, IE 7 on Windows works fine.

The app is at http://veracity.adometry.com/ and it crashes on startup with:

"The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed. No report available. Reload the page or try again"

Anyone seeing something similar?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

You're of course assuming everyone uses FireTorrent.  That's not the case.  In fact, that's not solving the original problem.

And this stuff about Firefox's crash protection feature--it's not going to help.  We all have updated Firefox, and we all have seen that this does not solve anything.  We all have tried other methods, such as reinstalling or changing the timeout, and still nothing.  What should we all be learning (yes, even you eidnolb)?

We can't do anything!!!  Unless you want to perform s

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just updated both today as well and I crash everytime. I'm on a Mac using Snow Leopard. When I uninstall Flash, Firefox works fine. I just can't view any Flash stuff. So I'm assuming it's an Adobe problem. I'm beginning to see Steve Job's point about Flash crashing everything. I'm bettting we're not alone with the crashing, so hoping there will be a fix quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now found that uninstalling flash, then installing the debug version, everything works fine.  Then I uninstall again and move to the production version and crash, every time with Firefox 3.6.4 on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what debug program did you use? where can i find it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, several users are having a problem with the hardware acceleration. This site has information on it requirements, etc.

Updating to the latest versions of the graphic and video cards has also helped.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html

I don't know if your issue with the XP involves this or not, but various issues seem to be about the above.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Debug Version: 10,1,53,64

Browser:  Firefox 3.6.4

App started to crash with same error.
Anyone from Adobe care to respond?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alll my work´s from 2 years ago, now with the 10.1 are making browsers crash, too, my question is, when will 10.2 release...???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alll my work´s from 2 years ago, now with the 10.1 are making browsers crash,my question is, when will flash player 10.2 release, damn...???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue seems to be related to hang protection that was added to Firefox. To disable follow these steps:

1. In the Location bar, type about:config and press.
2. The about:config page should appear. In the Filter box, type dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs
3. Double click the setting and change the number to -1 to disable hang protection.

Have fun debugging again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well there is a difference of opinion, I'll say that:-) I don't know which it is but you may want to read this thread at Post

number 7: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/668308?tstart=0

It seems like there is an Update war!

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is definitely Adobe Flash Player.  Not only does it crash on Firefox 3.6.4, but also IE 8 and RealPlayer, which uses the Flash plugin to view FLV (flash) video files.  I was luckily able to quickly right-click and disable hardware acceleration on a YouTube video, but could not do it again on another user profile.  Disabling hardware acceleration did solve the problem, however, such a "roundabout" method should not be necessary in the event that one would ever need to use it for large videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mark, There are a lot of conflicts it seems with 10.1 and the latest Firefox browser update. Several people are saying

that FF 3.6.4 has given them a problem and have Uninstalled it and went back to a previous version. I really am not a good judge of that, since I don't use FF and don't have a test machine.

It seems the majority of the issues with FP 10.1 is the hardware acceleration in knowing what it is and what it's purpose is. The requirements and what action to take and why. Following is the link for some information on this in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been following the forums, so I already realize that Firefox 3.6.4 has been causing some of the problems.  I already know what hardware acceleration is and why to use it, but I shouldn't have to disable it if my drivers are all up to date and it worked before.  I updated to the new Firefox version and flash worked on both Firefox AND RealPlayer, but the Flash update crashed both.  The problem is absolutely Flash Player and all we can do is wait until Adobe comes out with a new update... hopefully one that will address the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark, There is a reason that what you and others describe as Flash Player crashing Firefox. You can read Mozilla Firefox since they have issued an update to Firefox 3.6.6 along with the reasons why users were experiencing what they have. This was design by Mozilla Firefox by default and they explain their reasons here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/The+Adobe+Flash+plugin+has+crashed?s=plugin+timeout&as=s

They are encouraging all Firefox users to update. The Flash forum also has a thread up about it.

At least we now know the reasons for the Firefox/Flash Player issue and Mozilla Firefox is taking action.

On the hardware acceleration feature, I would think as long as the requirements to use it are met that there should be any problem. Perhaps you could pose that as a subject line and start a thread. I'm sure the other helper on the Forum or someone else would be able to answer that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this does not apply to Mac. They have yet to fix anything for Mac users, as per usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ima, Did you even bother reading the Mozilla Firefox link I posted? There is a link on the site you can click that says:

"Show Content Customized for: Windows    Linux     Mac OS "

So I don't know why you would make a remark like that. I've read the Tech reports and the Engineer Teams report on all of the changes that Flash Player 10.1 has made and in my opinion Mac received a good share. Have you read them? How about the 10.1 blogs where the Developers are singing praises to the Flash Player Team? Not every platform is going to receive everything they want, but I would say Mac certainly received their fair share.

And no, I don't own Adobe Stock, but from what I have read in that area, I should buy some:-) I just try to be fair in my assessment of any project and wish others would too. Appreciate what you have. I don't understand all of the criticism, people need to work it out or work around it. This constant feud between Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, and others is very petty in my opinion. I'm happy they are all out there, more power to them!!

Ok, I'm off my soap box now.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why you're on a soapbox to begin with and why are you taking offense? Nothing I said was directed at you, so why take personally?

And yes I checked your link and this is the response I got:

Mac OS:

This article does not apply to Firefox on Mac,  which does not yet include a plugin  crash protection feature.  The new feature will be available for  Mac in a future Firefox release.

So maybe you should check before you get all bent out of shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all Mac users that rude?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided that Firefox's new upgrade stinks too. Was causing everything to run very slowly. It was a really bad upgrade from both parties. I went back to previous versions of both Firefox and Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a huge problem and cannot downgrade, because when all my clients start to acess the content and start to throwi´n erros for them, I´m gonna go crazy, damn man, damn...!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man this sucks. i was watching Hulu.com and I'm not sure what happened but some update must have occurred because my brand new laptop windows 7 Home 64bit apparently is no good anymore after being just a few weeks old thanks to Adobe and their crappy plugin!! WTF, thats all I got to say, fix your plugin so I can use my Firefox Browser and stop ignoring us please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Flashplayer active x for my kids to play on Webkinz, and it was working this morning, but about an hour ago, when my 8 year old tried to sign on, she got the message "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed". I sent the report, uninstalled and reinstalled the program, then restarted the computer, but am still having the program. When I uninstalled, the "login" button on the Webkinz homepage says I need to install the program, and after I do, it shows that I can log in, but when I try, I get the error message. Firefox is way bettter than IE, but this issue with the flash player needs to be corrected asap, or IE will be the only way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, What operating system do you use? Also what version of IE and what version of Firefox? When you "Uninstalled" are you speaking of Flash Player and what version did you have before, the 10.1? Or did you Uninstall Firefox? I'm not clear on that.

I have been on the forum quite a bit and it appears from the threads the latest version of Firefox and the latest Flash Player update is conflicting. Many users are going back to Firefox 3.6.3. This may be the case since they had problems after updating Firefox. Now, granted there are problems with the Flash Player 10.1 also. So it is difficult to determine which update is conflicting which. All I can conclude is that if you had Flash Player 10.1 and was not having a problem, but then updated to the latest Firefox then that is conflicting with Flash Player.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i get that same message when i try to run a program from facebook i thought it was only me getting this message.  I want to know how to correct it if you get any answers please let me know thansk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't the one being rude. Read above my post. He had issues with me for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines