Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Stopping pdf slideshows from auto-advancing.

Mar 8, 2007 12:50 AM

Is it possible to stop the PDF slideshow exports from LR from automatically advancing? I want it to remain on the slides until I hit the cursor button (like I can do from within LR.) My pdf slideshows, however, keep auto-advancing. I can get it to advance FASTER in either direction by hitting the cursor buttons, but I can't "stop" it from auto-advancing completely, which is what I want.

The LR slideshow export page says that "Adobe Acrobat transitions use a fixed speed," but I thought that this meant that you couldn't change the speed of the transition itself. Can you also not change the "rate of advancing" to the next slide? As I said, I want to make it NEVER advance until I tell it to, but I can't figure out how to do this.

Thanks,

Larry

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2007 2:16 AM   in reply to lalittle
    It is in Acrobat preferences>fullscreen. There the timing is set, not in LR

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2007 11:19 PM   in reply to lalittle
    Sorry Larry for the incorrect info. It is set on the bottom right hand panel in slideshow module called "Playback". I have tested this and it does vary the speed as set in LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2007 5:33 AM   in reply to lalittle
    Hi

I wish i could get it to auto advance.

When i have finished exporting the pdf it opens in Acorbat. To view the slides i have to manually click through them.

Besides this i also find that the image quality is very poor compared to LR slideshow and it does not allow me to use the Picture Task option in Acrobat. I have to go back to PS and create the pdf slideshow there. Obviously i then lose the nice template i have create in LR to advertise my company.

Regards

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2007 4:23 AM   in reply to lalittle
    Larry,

This is just a guess; I haven't tried it: Have you tried setting the slide time to Zero? Some programs use Zero as a manual setting.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2007 11:06 AM   in reply to lalittle
    OK, got it.

The no advance in Adobe Reader thing was driving me nuts too. The solution to both problems (no auto advance, exclusive manual advance) lies within Adobe Reader, not Lightroom.

Here is the trick (Adobe Reader 8, Macintosh). Go to Preferences, Full Screen. Make sure the "Advance every xxx seconds" box is checked, and that xxx is set to a number of seconds equal to or greater than the slide duration you specified in Lightroom. (If greater than, the Lightroom setting will prevail.)

If it is unchecked, no auto advance whatsoever.

I had to restart Adobe Reader for the changes in Preferences to take effect.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2007 5:20 PM   in reply to lalittle
    If a condition set in Reader preferences is met, Reader prevails.

Uncheck the Full Screen preference "Advance every xxx seconds" if you want to disable completely auto advance. It MUST be checked for auto advance to happen. No check, no advance, regardless of any slideshow setting you have made in Lightroom. (Macintosh Reader 8; YMMV)

If the box is checked, the slideshow should auto-advance. The shorter advance interval (Lightroom or Reader) will prevail.

Reader Set..../.... Lightroom Set..../.... Auto Advance Occurs at
    .....10........./...............15............/............10
    .....10........./.................5............/.............5

Unchecked...../.........whatever........./..........never (manual)

If this is still confusing, I suggest experimenting with the Full Screen settings in Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2009 9:23 AM   in reply to (Dan_Casali)

Re GETTING a pdf slideshow to advance (rather than to NOT advance),

what was missing for me in this discussion is that after you set the time withing Full-screen preferences, you then have to START your slideshow by selecting Full Screen from the View  pull-down menu (or else the keyboard shortcut CTRL-L, as it says on the View menu).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 9:13 AM   in reply to lalittle

Guys,

I had exactly the same problem and solved it. Here's how I done it.

using Acrobat pro open your PDF

1) Go to left-hand side of layout and click the page tab.

2) Click on cogs to bring up a list and choose transition settings.

3) when this appear UN-CHECK auto flip.

4) Save file

5) Test.

and jobs done.

Hopefully this solves you issue or that of anyone reading it later on down the line.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to andew555

I had the same problem.

My daughter randomly suggested we should check the setting "Ignore all transitions".

I told her it could absolutely not be related.

Just to show her I tried.

It worked!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)