Skip navigation
TimothyWhalin
Currently Being Moderated

Data List with Links?

Jun 24, 2010 10:58 AM

In an interface I am making, part of it needs to have multiple text fields with buttons linking to other web pages. I will probably have about 40-75 different links when I am done creating this. The only way to do this that I can see is to create a button and then add an interaction to that button to link to the page I want. However, making a list of multiple ones I have to create a new button each time. Buttons can't be duplicated and then the text inside the button changes or else it will change all the other instances of that button. So this requires me making 75 different buttons, adding the different state changes to each one, and is very time consuming. Plus then getting them properly placed inside the document instead of just duplicating the button is also very time consuming.

I thought this might be possible with a data list, but it doesn't seem that you can set up an element of the data list to have them be different links. However, this doesn't seem possible either.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this or am I just stuck?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2010 1:11 PM   in reply to TimothyWhalin

Hello,

Catalyst is great for visual prototyping, but if you have a large set of data, say over 15 items, you should probably be doing some final tweaks in Builder. In your case, I'd recommend creating a Data List with your text input and button. I would also add text fields to your design time data that contain your links and button labels. You can set the opacity on them to zero, you just want those strings present in your design time data.

Finally, bring your FXP over to builder, and tweak the button labels so they draw from the design time data. Also, create an interaction for the button that navigates to the appropriate link.

-Bear

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 10:58 AM   in reply to TimothyWhalin

Flash Builder is also included in Web Premium. I think Flash Builder Standard is $249. Bear is right, at some point it makes sense to shift from prototyping to actual development. Good luck. If you get stuck with development, your best bet will be on the Flash Builder forums for coding help.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 4:00 AM   in reply to Bear Travis

How do I add links to the datalist in FB?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 6:37 PM   in reply to TimothyWhalin

Please go into you Adobe Profile to make this email update

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 6:38 PM   in reply to Lynn Kirabo

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 11:54 PM   in reply to Chris W. Griffith

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link.

I figured out how to do it in Flash Catalyst, without heading over to Flash Builder.

All you have to do is select the data list, then go to the interactions panel.

After you have selected the state that it should transition to, Change the last drop down to "When a specific Item is selected", then choose which item links to what.

Step-1.jpg Step-2.jpg

I hope this helps someone who doesn't have an idea how  to use Flash Builder.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 7:44 AM   in reply to Lynn Kirabo

The only issue with that solution is it applies to the entire row. For example, you have a name in one cell, and their email address in another, even clicking the name cell will trigger the interaction.

But glad this solution works for your design.

Chris

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points