Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

No MPEG preview or playback in Bridge CS5

Jun 3, 2010 7:23 PM

After doing a clean install of CS5, everything seems to work well except for Bridge.

HDV mpeg clips will not display a visual thumbnail

or playback in preview window of Bridge.  When double-click

ing icon, I get an error "Windows

cannot find '%ProgramFiles(x86

)%Windows Media Player

\wmplayer.exe'.

When I double-click an AVI file, Bridge finds and uses Windows Media Player just fine.

Need MPEG preview badly!!!!

MPEG clips are working fine in Premiere Pro CS5 and AME rendering is awesome!!!

Thanks, rg

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2010 7:48 PM   in reply to rickg1949

can WMP playback your hdv MPEG? Bridge should use WMP's MPEG codec. Premiere Pro CS5 and AME has embedded MPEG codec, but Bridge can't use it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 1:58 AM   in reply to rickg1949

can you purge the video file in thumbnail panel to get new thumbnail?

I can playback mpeg video in bridge on my windows 7 64bit machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 7:59 AM   in reply to rickg1949

Bridge is not a seperate program so just un-installing it is not possible.  Deleting it is not advised as you could cause many more problems.

A re-install is a last resort.   I have seen all to many responses that a reinstall did not fix anything.  If if is a contaminated file the preferences files will still be contaminated after a re-install, only resetting preferences will change that.

One first has to answer the question -  will the video work in Bridge (have correct codec)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 9:38 AM   in reply to rickg1949

Have you tried to view the video with the 32 bit CS5?  Don't know if all the references are the same, but worth a shot.

In file type associations do you have the mpeg pointed to correct program?

Uninstalling CS4 prior to installation of CS5 should have no effect as  they are seperate products.  And the downside is that now you can not  switch back and forth between the programs to prove it works in CS4 and  does not in CS5. If it worked on the same 2 computers in CS4, and not in CS5 and the only difference in the computer hardware and software was the addition on CS5 to me that leaves just 2 possibliities.  One it has an installation problem, or two it is a bug.

Br asc is an Adobe employee so his input is valuable.  If he offeres to look at your dump file take him up on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 1:25 PM   in reply to rickg1949

I made a leap that Bridge CS5 was also 64 bit, but do not know that.  I think CS4 bridge was still 32 bit.

A reinstall of CS4 on one of the machines would tell a lot of the videos play there.  Then you might be able to do a comparision of what CS4 has that CS5 does not.

Not sure what "Just noticed that all my HDV-mpeg clips (even those captured using CS 5)  will not play in WMplayer on Vista 64bit edit station now" means. They played befoe on WM player did they not?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 12:09 PM   in reply to rickg1949

Like I said CS4 and 5 are seperate program and should not

interfere.  Some keep all the versions on their HD.

I don't know if this is a similar problem or not, but thread discusses failure to play video on CS5.  Check it out.  The last post said the workaround was to use CS4.  It it applies maybe you should add to the thread or contact SG.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/653389?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 9:12 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Hi Curt,

This Brdge issue is separate from the Ps file open issue.

thx,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 9:14 AM   in reply to rickg1949

Hi Rick,

I need to look into this a bit more, but it sounds like the underlying engine Bridge uses to play those files is the cause.

What version of QuickTime do you have installed and can it playback your source files?

thx,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 9:48 AM   in reply to SG...

Steve,

Thanks for the clearification.  Perhaps you can clear up another issue.

Video files seem to play with the Windows Media Player.  And yet I know there is some dependance of Quicktime in Bridge.  In fact you asked the OP what version he was using.  So when is WMP used and when is Quicktime used?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 10:39 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Hi Curt,

My understanding, and I'm going to verify this, is that Bridge CS5 only uses the QuickTime support for playback. You can have file associations setup to open with Windows Media Player (or any other app that reads video formats) but that won't change the Bridge playback engine.

Just a little more data on the Ps video layer issue, it wasn't so much playback of video. The problem was that edited video layers in a PSD format can't be reopened in CS5. The files are being saved in a way that flags them as incompatible. We're testing the fix now.

thx,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 8:14 PM   in reply to rickg1949

That is good news.  Thanks for posting it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 2:29 PM   in reply to rickg1949

Hi Rick,

thanks for your help and information. I very often wonder why adobe is not able to solve such problems or inform users about such simple things befor shipping.

As for my understanding the only thing y did was install k-lite. Than it worked.

You posted somedays ago. Let me ask, does it still work or did you get any troubles.

As from my expeiance i m very carrful in installing codecs. (i am tired do reinstalls, i think we all know such problems from the past)

Thanks again for your help,

klfi from austria

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2010 5:28 PM   in reply to rickg1949

Hi Rick,

I'm pretty sure that "Haali Splitter" is coming frorn the K-lite codex package, but sent email to make sure. It is used to split the multiple streams on decode of the file. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demultiplexer_(media_file)

Bridge does relies on DirectShow and Quicktime for codec support to playback video files. I'm not sure why you needed to add the K-lite codec support in order to get CS4/CS5 working the same as CS3 though.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 9:16 AM   in reply to rickg1949

I have a similar problem.  i have a new install of CS5 Master Collection on a clean install of Windows 7 64bit. I have installed Quicktime and the suggested codecs but cannot get any video formats (mov, mp4, mpeg) to preview in Bridge. All i get is a standard poster preview. they do however now all work in Premier Pro which is a step forward, but would welceom any further thoughts that anyone has.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Jun 25, 2010 6:08 AM   in reply to Edward Shephard

I, too am unable to preview HDV (mpeg2) files from within Bridge CS5.

Production Premium CS5 is a clean install on a brand spanking new 6-core Xeon, 12 Gb machine running W7 64.  I have tried re-associating mpeg2s from withing Bridge to QT, but still no joy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2010 1:52 PM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

Unfortunately i cannot find my own old post: been complaining about this for a while now, not being able to preview hdv mpeg/m2t/m2v.

This was in CS4 and now in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 8:24 PM   in reply to Edward Shephard

Bridge does relay on system's codec to decode video content. For .mov, bridge need QuickTime engine, for most of other video formats, bridge need WMP directshow codec filter.

For HDV mpeg video, as Rick posted, the K-lite package include many codec filters on windows platform. You can get the k-lite codec package from http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm, the Basic pack is enough.

1. install the k-lite codec pack: use default option in most of steps exception 'select components' step, (make sure use advanced install mode. mpeg2 decoder filter isn't be installed in simple mode)

advanced.jpg

* 'select components' step: for MPEG-2, DVD item use ffdshow(both libmpeg2 or libavcodec are ok),  keep other items with default option

mpeg-2component.jpg

2. after install the k-lite codec, you have to configure it on windows 7 system by Win7DSFilterTweaker tool included in k-lite pack

you can run the Win7DSFilterTweaker on the k-lite install finish page, or you also can find this tool in C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec      Pack\Tools\Win7DSFilterTweaker.exe

runwin7dsfilter.jpg

3. make sure use ffdshow filter to decode the mpeg2 video:

mpeg-2.jpg

4. start/restart bridge, preview your hdv video.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Jun 27, 2010 11:59 PM   in reply to Stone.Pan

Thanks for your tip.  I downloaded the 64-bit version, but unfortunately Bridge

still refuses to preview HDV files.

Perhaps Adobe is monitoring this thread.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Jun 28, 2010 12:39 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

Hi br asc

I tried with the 32-bit version, and it works well.

Many thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 2:57 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

Bridge still is a 32-bit application, so it can't use 64-bit binaries (Directshow codecs/filters, etc) 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 3:42 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

Hi,

how has yr post to be understood:

1.) Did you download k-lite 32 bit and installed it on a 64 bit OS system or

2.) Did you download k-lite 32 bit and installed it on a 32 bit OS system

I tried variant 1.) and it did not work, i could not install k-lite 32 bit on my 64 bit OS...mybe i did mistake ??

klfi

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Jun 28, 2010 3:51 AM   in reply to klfi

I installed the standard K-Lite version on a 64-bit Win7 machine.  (I couldn't find the basic version)

I did have to re-assign wmvs to play in Media Player, as opposed ti the 3rd party Media Player Classic that it seems to default to after installing K-Lite.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 1:36 PM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

One should not have to install a codec pack and i have never installed a codec pack.

In the very beginning of CS4 the preview worked.

Then it stopped probably after an update.

Besides ffdshow is already on my system (W7/64)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 3:07 PM   in reply to rickg1949

Its even recommended when using Premiere Pro (check the forum) not to install ffshow or any codec pack because it messes up your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2010 2:11 AM   in reply to rickg1949

Hi Rick,

Regarding br asc's reply:

can you purge the video file in thumbnail panel to get new thumbnail?

I can playback mpeg video in bridge on my windows 7 64bit machine.

I am not sure what you did or what exactly did br asc meant....  Anyhow, let me describe my problem and what I did to overcome it:

My Problem:

In Bridge CS5 version 4.0.2.1, I am having problem previewing .MOV files.  My .MOV files are from various source such as iPhone, 5DII, 7D, 550D and a few camcoders.  The funny thing is some .MOV files preview ok while others not.  It is not source dependent either as I've checked, by that I mean something like I have two .MOV files from say, the 5DII, with exact same settings when recorded, why does one preview ok and the other not in Bridge CS5???

What I did:

(1)  In Bridge, go to menu

Edit > Preferences (or Crtl K for Wins), go to the File Type Associations (on left pan) and make sure QuickTime (.mov) is associated with your QuickTime Player on the right pan.

(2)  In Bridge, go to menu

Edit > Preferences (or Crtl K for Wins), go to the Cache (on left pan) and click the [Purge Cache] button on the right pan to Purge All Cached Thumbnails and Previews.

After doing (1) & (2), I am able to preview every .MOV in Bridge CS5.

Not sure what I have done different to anyone else, but it seems to work for me.  Hope it helps...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2010 6:11 AM   in reply to tlt1068

Well Top of the Class to you!

All working fine here now and no extra codecs needed

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...