Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PS CS5 Help Not Helpful!

Jun 12, 2010 5:19 PM

Is there an option that allows the old style help with an index that made it relatively easy finding help topics. The new help in PS CS5 makes it a struggle to locate help topics. Why can't there be a search feature and an index? Isn't help suppose to be helpful?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2010 12:01 PM   in reply to `Ken`

I agree. This is driving me crazy. The new Help Air App sucks.

It's hard to read, it's slow and most importantly it doesn't give me what I need.

The navigation tree that used to be on the left is GONE.

All sense of how much content is in a certain category is hidden from you except when you first arrive.

You have to click on next buttons to get around or breadcrumb links. This is very suffocating.

I want all the links back on the left so I can get around!

And I don't appreciate the fact that Adobe is continually forcing "community help" down our throats when all we want is the help. If we want help from the community we'll go for it.

god i'm pissed. sorry.

By the way, to answer your question. You can just delete the Help app.

Then when you click on Help in any of the apps, the help will open in a browser... but without the left nav.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2010 4:12 PM   in reply to John Stanowski

The navigation pane (or table of contents, or whatver you want to call it) is still persistently available if you use the PDF version of the Help document. You can download the PDF version using the link at the top of any of the HTML pages of Help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2010 4:37 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Ahhhh, that's awesome. Thank you.

Is there anyway to connect this with the Help menu item so the PDF version opens instead of Community Help?

Or, can I tell Community Help to download a local version of all the Helps and have it just show me that when I call it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2010 10:56 PM   in reply to John Stanowski

> Is there anyway to connect this with the Help menu item so the PDF version opens instead of Community Help?

I knew a way to do that for CS4, but I don't know about CS5. I can look into it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 8:47 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I disagree. There is NO INDEX and that is a MAJOR LOSS>

Also, you CANNOT download the pdf unless you have an Adobe PDF reader installed, and that is absolutely assine.  As much as I love Adobe, I don't use reader. Mac Preview is much better for just viewing pdf's.

also of course, the local option doesn't work until the internet connection times out BOO!  but that is apparently in line to be fixed in the next version. I thank you for that 

so the bottom line is that the new help is even worse than CS4, which wasn't all so hot with the stupid internet requirement. It did have an index though.

Scott

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 12:53 PM   in reply to 12345scott

Hi Scott,

FYI: The Adobe Help TOC is not on  every Help topic page, but can be accessed in these 4 ways:

-Help  package title in breadcrumb

-Home link in breadcrumb

-Product  title in banner

-CHC "Home" icon in app chrome

You're right that updates in both AIR 2.0 and Community Help AIR app 3.3 will address the PDF preview issue. Also included is a bug fix related to the Display Local Content only  preference. Please accept the auto updates to these versions. In the meantime, here's how you can download the PS CS5 Help PDF today without having to install Reader:

Use your browser to download the PDF.

On any PS help page viewed in the Community Help AIR app, click the url in the upper right corner of UI to open the same page in your browser. From there you can download the PDF to your HD by clicking on the "View Help PDF" link on upper right corner of page. That local PDF can then be opened in Preview if that is your preferred PDF viewer.

-Laura

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points