• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ubuntu

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Ubuntu (10.06 LTS) 64-bit system with Firefox (believe it's 64-bit too) 3.6.4. I have tried to install Flash Player (using evey option to download) and I keep getting "Error: Wrong architure 'i386'" What can I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot use Flash Player on a 64-bit browser; use the standard 32-bit version of Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I be able to do that since I can't install any other Firefox? Maybe I should forget about using any Linux OS and just got back to using Windows excuslively. At least with Windows I know how to do everything I need to without needing help (maybe a little help every now and then).

Message was edited by: SpTigerJD1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot install both 64-bit and 32-bit Firefox?  Sorry, I don't know about that - better ask in the Mozilla forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only been using Ubuntu for three days, so I am not use to installing anything in this OS. Could only find 1 copy of Firefox (out of 20 or so) in Synaptic Package Manger that's the current version, it's already installed and the rest say that they are "dummy" files or not the recent version. Don't know how to install the download from the Firefox wesite. Still haven't found any documation to install that helps me. Use to Windows because I have grown up on it, so I am use to clicking on the installer (exe) and have it do what it needs to do. BTW, the install instuctions for Acrobat Reader will not work on Ubuntu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you will find much help in this forum, there are only very few Linux users here, and they don't make regular appearances.

It may be better for you to find a Linux, or Ubuntu-specific forum to learn the basics.  (I myself have only once tried to install Ubuntu on my computer, and I failed miserably.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player 10.1 is only available for a 32-bit browser.

You must install the previous release  :

1) Download the archive (.tar.gz) into YOUR HOME DIRECTORY :

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.45.2.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz

2) Open Terminal (menu Applications > Accessories > Terminal)

3) Copy and paste the following line in the terminal to extract 'libflashplayer.so' from the archive :

tar zxf libflashplayer-10.0.45.2.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz

Hit <enter>

4) Copy and paste the following line in the terminal to copy 'libflashplayer.so' in Mozilla's plugins directory :

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Hit <enter> (user password is asked for)

4) Restart Firefox

Go to Youtube, it should work now.

4) Delete :
libflashplayer-10.0.45.2.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz
libflashplayer.so
which are still in your home directory (you don't need them anymore)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Adobe has delayed their 64-bit release of Flash Player 10.1 for some reason. This means that only 10.0.45 is available "officially". However, if you simply look in the repositories (Multiverse, I think, or maybe Medibuntu?), you will see that 10.1.53 is available for Ubuntu. They did this by using nspluginwrapper and 32-bit libraries. This "wraps" the 32-bit Flash Player in a 64-bit "wrapper" so that Firefox thinks it is the 64-bit version of Flash Player. It's not usually the best solution, and is sometimes unstable, so you may want to stick with the 10.0.45 version, anyway. But it might be worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in Multiverse actually.

Activate this repository and search for 'flashplugin-nonfree' in Synaptic.

You just have to click install. The nspluginwrapper trick is automated on Ubuntu.

Beware though : I installed Flash 10.1 (32-bit) with nspluginwrapper on my Debian sytem (64-bit), everything went fine until the plugin crashed while visiting a MySpace page with too many flash applets on it... not the steadiest solution.

10.0.45 works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2010 Sep 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recently embed a video on my website which requires Flash player to view, but flash player cannot be installed on Firefox in Ubuntu environment. Can someone shed some light ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines