Skip navigation
dana hursey
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 3 - Flickr Publish Bug

Jun 9, 2010 3:03 PM

I am experiencing an issue where when I publish images to Flickr they immediately show up as "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" and will not ever move to the "Published" section even though I have not changed a thing.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I am missing?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 9, 2010 3:07 PM   in reply to dana hursey

I was just about to post a Flickr publishing bug of my own, so I'll stick it in this thread:

Lightroom uploads my photos in the wrong (backwards) order, starting with the newest and uploading the oldest ones last. Thus, the oldest ones end up at the top of the photostream. It doesn't make any difference if I change the sorting ascending/descending before publishing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 4:35 PM   in reply to davidnaylor83

Same here. Photos are published in reverse order. This worked in the beta. What happened?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 5:29 PM   in reply to dana hursey
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

dana hursey wrote:

I am experiencing an issue where when I publish images to Flickr they immediately show up as "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" and will not ever move to the "Published" section even though I have not changed a thing.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I am missing?

Thanks!

I would like to add that I do not think this is necessarily a flickr issue, I have the same problem publishing to my DLNA enabled NAS box with modifed photos not being re-published.  I have not seen any problems on this in my use of flickr to date.

I have no answers, but will also be investigating this at some point.

Alan.

PS - I think the flickr interface is great, but in the beta it does have a bug in that it overwrites any description you've applied to the set using the flickr web interface.  I have not found a way of putting a description on the set at the LR end.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 9:06 PM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

>  I think the flickr interface is great, but in the beta it does have a  bug in that it overwrites any description you've applied to the set  using the flickr web interface.  I have not found a way of putting a  description on the set at the LR end.

This bug has been reported.  Unfortunately, it is a design limitation in the current implementation of publish.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 5:57 AM   in reply to tomhe

tomhe wrote:

Same here. Photos are published in reverse order. This worked in the beta. What happened?

I never tried this in the beta, but I'm glad to hear the backwards order perhaps isn't the intended behaviour.

Anyway, I've found a workaround for the time being:

1. Sort your photos newest -> oldest. (Or the opposite of whatever order you want them to upload.)

2. Drag one photo one step out of order, to activate "User order". Than drag it back, or drag the photo you just pushed out of order, so you get the original order again. The sorting should still be "User order" or whatever they call it.

Now when you upload, Lightroom will respect the sorting order and start with the photos at the bottom (i.e. the oldest).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2010 3:20 AM   in reply to dana hursey

I also get photos in the 'Re-publish' box but not immediately.

They will appear, sometimes, days after the original upload even though none of them have been modified.

Will be interested to see whether this gets fixed any time soon.

Cheers,  Norman

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2010 3:55 AM   in reply to njl

A couple of additional issues.

1.     If you have a thumbnail selected in the Library view of photos published to Flickr and then select the Develop tab, the image gets flagged for re-publishing whether or not you make any changes to the image.

2.     If you select the same set of images to produce a slideshow then many of the images get flagged for re-publishing even though none have been modified.  In my test case I selected the 95 images in the Flickr library and created a slide-show.  On returning to the Flickr library 32 of the images had be flagged for re-publishing.  I suppose I could understand it if they were all selected by why 32?

The publishing facility was one of the factors in my decision to upgrade from version 2 so this is a major dissapointment to me.  I accept that pro togs won't have it flagged as a major issue but for amateurs it could well affect their decision to upgrade.

[Edit]  Also, why can't you 'de-select' the images flagged for re-publishing?  There doesn't seem to be a way of removing them from the re-publish list other than publishing them again.

Anyone from Adobe care to comment?

Regards,

Norman

Message was edited by: njl

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 4:21 AM   in reply to dana hursey

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing. As the photos are uploading, about 1/2 end up in the "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" section.

Not a biggie, but sounds like I'm not the only one having it.

Cheers,

Al

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 4:31 AM   in reply to aussiealpal

Same here. Photos always end up as needed to re-publish.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 4:47 AM   in reply to dana hursey

Sometimes photo's get stuck in the Modified state and simply will not re-publish...

In the 5 or 6 instances I have had "stuck" in the modified for re-publish ...

The stuck photo's were a virtual copy with a different crop of another also published master photo which was not being shown as modified..

I managed to push the stuck photos through by also marking the master for republishing.

Alan

PS - I too found that photo's were randomly showing up as modified.    I got fed up with this behaviour and selected all the photo's in the collection and rendered 1:1 previews for all of them... this seemed to put half in the modified state... I republished them and have not had this issue since.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 5:04 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

That doesn't work for me. And I have no virtuals. No amount of re-publishing changes the state. Always "remain" marked for re-publishing. I have tried everything I can thing of, including the obvious of starting over by deleting the set on Flickr and publishing anew.

|
    Mark as:
  • TK2142
    407 posts
    Jan 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2010 1:27 AM   in reply to jfpearson

I also got images moved into the "To be republished" state without having done any changes to them.

Republishing moves them back into the "Published" state but since I don't have a Flickr Pro account, that means the images get deleted and are created afresh. This causes all comments etc. to be lost.

I dearly need a way to tell Lightroom that it should reset the images into "published" state without actually publishing them. There have been no actually changes and all re-publishing would achieve is destroy the comments etc.

Can a community professional please respond to the posts regarding the Flickr issues?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 2:16 AM   in reply to dana hursey

Dana, I can't reproduce it with Flickr Pro and Mac.

I think this is a bug or limitation of Flickr Free.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 2:15 AM   in reply to dana hursey

Guys, I really don't understant why you answer about different bug/problem/issue to the thread.

Search first, for a problem you have faced and if you can't find similar thread—create a new one about issue you've found.

IMHO, it will be easier for Adobe team to have separate threads for separate problems. And even for people who search for solution as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 11:36 AM   in reply to sasha_t2

I have a pro account, and it's happening for me. Maybe PC only?

Cheers,

Al

Flickr Pro, Windows 7, Lightroom 3

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 11:49 AM   in reply to dana hursey

Cool.. so mac and PC, free and pro...

Time to wait for a fix I'm fine with ignoring it

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 11:50 AM   in reply to dana hursey

I sometimes get the republishing bug but if i highlight all those photos and use the right mouse click and 'mark to republish' a second time it sorts itself out..

Just a workaround for now..  Although the last few weeks it's been working like a charm for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2010 3:07 PM   in reply to dana hursey

Just want to add my similar case  here.  I tried publish for the first time to Flickr and all 16 photos  went into the "Modified Photos to Re-Publish".  I've found no way to  move them out.  Republishing doesn't seem to do anything.  Trying to "Mark to Republish" doesn't seem to sort anything out.  Very  unfortunate bug.

LR 3 for Mac

Flickr Pro

-Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2010 5:05 PM   in reply to tbtalbottjr

Jeffery Friedl is giving some attention to this problem in his version of the Flickr Public/Export plugin so he is likely going to solve it before Adobe does anything:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/flickr

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2010 8:40 PM   in reply to aussiealpal

Well I think its a biggie.

I mean you upload your photo set to flickr and then over time you'll tweak tags, maybe a title etc. Then as it's been mentioned, in LR 3 for no reason it'll throw a bunch of photos in the re-publish section and you have to republish....and when they do...they overwrite EVERYTHING in your flickr set. Titles, description...everything.

It's very annoying and very time consuming to go back over & over to fix this stuff.

I thought I was doing something wrong and that's why I came here was for some answers but it appears a lot of people are experiencing this.

We should be able to drag things out of the republish section back down to the lower level of the set if we want to AND if we do modify the image, like sharpen it some, tweak the exposure etc. and then republish it should just replace the photo in the exact order it is in the flickr set and not change the title or description.

Adobe...we love LR but PLEASE fix this.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2010 8:43 PM   in reply to sasha_t2

No its not. I have a pro acc't...same thing.

I'm also on a MAC.

So it's both platforms, both types of flickr acc'ts.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2010 2:15 AM   in reply to Martin Jordan

Martin Jordan, looks like you didn't understand the idea of syncing/publishing. If you tweak tags and title LR must sync them with Flickr and this is good!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2010 7:20 AM   in reply to sasha_t2

You didn't read my post closely.

I said....I upload them to flickr and then maybe tweak tags in flickr. Not LR.

I know if I tweak something in LR it's going to want to republish.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2010 7:22 PM   in reply to dana hursey

I'm experiencing this as well.  All of my new photos are going straight to "modified".  I have 4 images (all from the same first publish action) that behave normally but photos from everything else stays as needing re-publish.  I've tried manually setting everything to republish but it always comes back the same 4 are OK but the rest are still "modified".  Windows 7x64, Flickr Pro, & LR 3.2

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2010 9:17 PM   in reply to Paul_B_

Well I've found out this is a bug in LR and Adobe is aware of it. Apparently they are working on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 10:49 PM   in reply to dana hursey

Removing or replacing the keywords on photos stuck in Modified Photos Re-Publish pool and then re-publishing the photos seems to move them to Published Photos.

Just cut and paste the keywords back and re-publish. If the photo did not have any keywords, then add some. This worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 6:03 AM   in reply to dana hursey

I 've just started having this problem with LR3 and Flickr.  I was trying to dowload a picture to Flickr and it was taking longer than usual, hadn't worked after 5 minutes, when I noticed there was a large number of photos in a "Photos to Re-Publish" bit.  I managed to stop the download before it had finished, but later noticed that numerous photos are missing from my Flickr page.  Is there anyway to upload them again with all their comments?  Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2010 8:51 AM   in reply to Larban

Boy, I'm glad I found this thread. I've never experienced this problem until today. Was going a bit crazy trying to figure out what I'd done wrong.

lsseppal wrote:

Removing or replacing the keywords on photos stuck in Modified Photos Re-Publish pool and then re-publishing the photos seems to move them to Published Photos.

Just cut and paste the keywords back and re-publish. If the photo did not have any keywords, then add some. This worked for me.

So far this has sort of worked for me. If I remove the keywords and republish they are moved from modified photos to republish to published photos. I pasted the same keywords back in and republished but they were marked as modified again. So I started over but this time added each keyword one at a time republishing in between. This worked. Oddly, after adding the last keyword they weren't marked as modified.      So there's one keyword in lightroom not showing up in flickr but I'd rather that then have them stuck in modified to republish. What a pain though.

(BTW I'm have a pro acct and mac.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2010 6:22 PM   in reply to dana hursey

I published some test photos to flickr but was unable to modify or delete them via LR3.  I continue to receive the error message:

"Can't Update this Collection

Flickr API return error message (function flickr.photos.setSafetyLevel, message invalid argument.)"

Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2011 6:01 PM   in reply to jcasey555

I'm having this exact problem too... getting the following message:

Flickr API returned an error message (function flickr.photos.setSafetyLevel, message Invalid argument)

Contacted Flickr and was told it's an Adobe problem. Anyone have suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2011 4:07 PM   in reply to natgsee

Same error message with me as well.  Flickr had published on startup, but error has now shown up.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2011 5:54 PM   in reply to jbrw

Although not related to the original post – “Stuck in republish”, which I think is now fixed; here is my take on the situation you are describing -

I suspect there is a bug in the LR software which is still present in LR 3.4RC.

I believe this bug manifests itself in two ways when an attempt is made to republish an existing published photo …

1)      If you are privately publishing and attempt to republish an existing photo, then LR sends a parameter (“Hidden” from public searches) incorrectly and out of bounds in accordance with the Flickr API, and Flickr quite rightly rejects it.   I suspect LR is sending values of 1 or 2 (Hidden or not) for this “hidden” parameter when it should be sending 0 or 1 to the set safety level function.

2)      Probably related to the same technical reason as point 1 - if a non-private photo is republished then instead of the photo continuing to be made available in public searches it is now erroneously made hidden from public searches when it reaches Flickr – again 1 or 2 instead of 0 or 1.   This is somewhat annoying if you go through a re tagging exercise for the benefit of public searching only to find that they are now hidden from searches once re-published.

I have seen no confirmation from any other user of point 2 above despite posting the question here ...   http://forums.adobe.com/thread/796350

Further points …

Since the Lightroom Software Development Kit contains a sample of the Lua code which is used for publishing, I have pointed to the actual lines of code I suspect are in error in this thread which also contains some technical dialog with Matt Dawson a Community Professional …

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/821148?tstart=0

I have raised a bug report with this technical detail, and raised a bug report for each of the two cases I mentioned above.     Hopefully this may result in some action, but I would suggest that if this important to you that you also raise a bug report, as there appears to be, to some an extent, a principle of - they who shout loudest or most often will get priority.

As a side note … to cure the problem for the moment, although I don’t want to use third party software long term, I have adopted a Flickr publishing plugin by Friedl for my private publishing until this is fixed.    If you Google “Friedl Flickr” you will find it.     I have not yet decided to adopt this plugin for my public publish due to concern about the possibility of losing all comments and favourite tagging by other Flickr members – I simply do not know at this point.

It is also interesting that the change log for this Friedl plugin on his web site also describes being tripped up by the same peculiarity present in the Flickr API which probably gave rise to this mistake by Adobe.    The Flickr API may have its peculiarities, but it is well defined and this is a Lightroom bug in my opinion.

Alan.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2011 8:37 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

For what it is worth, I do not experience any kind of publishing issue when uploading to flickr with Aperture, which lends credibility to your conclusion that this is a bug in LR.

Joe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points