Skip navigation
CClife
Currently Being Moderated

How to maximize the capacity of media disk using Premiere CS3?

Jun 23, 2010 12:37 PM

We are using Premiere Pro CS3 to make DVD for one of our conference. When we export the DVD files to Encore to burn on disc we noticed that more than 1 GB space on the disk is not being used.  The program is about 4.4. GB big.  As a result the image quality is not as good as I thought it would be.  Any way to maximize the use of disc space so that Encore will fill up all available space?  We are using VBR already.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2010 12:46 PM   in reply to CClife

If you export as AVI and tell Encore to use the automatic setting, it will encode for you at the best possible rate that will fit

Since you say you "export the DVD files" that means that YOU must change the minimum and maximum data rate yourself

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 2:50 PM   in reply to CClife

CS3 does not do a very good job in downscaling HD to DVD.

You might want to have a look at this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/384531

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 3:52 PM   in reply to CClife

>Where can I get the VBR to automatic?

You must export as AVI for Encore to be able to encode and use automatic... I no longer have CS3 so can't tell you exactly where in the options you select automatic, but I do know it is there somewhere, since that was the setting I used (set once, stayed that way) with the AVI file I exported out of Premiere

If you export to MPG then YOU are selecting the settings

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 7:08 PM   in reply to CClife

The bit-rate should be higher, but within the DVD-specs. To pick up differences, study the high-motion segments, especially motion that is across the axis of the lens. It will possibly be cleaner.

In your latter test, do you see any problems? If so, what are those?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 7:28 PM   in reply to CClife

How did you get from 2.92 to the amount via "automatic"?  I worry that you let Encore reencode your 2.92 - based on your description, I don't see how else you did it.  The 2.92 already lowered the quality, so you won't see any improvement.

Option 1: Look at one of the 4.34 version files with Gspot or MediaInfo and see what EN picked.  It may not give you the whole story - just the target/average bitrate.  But that will give you an idea what to use to reencode from PR that will use more of the disk than your 2.92.

Option 2: Use a bitrate calculator and figure your correct bit rate.

Bottom line: over 3 hours may not look great anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 9:55 PM   in reply to CClife

When I export from Premier CS3 to Encore, it has control and only allows me to adjust to 4480 MB. It will not let me go higher.  But in Encore after hours exporting, I just got a 2.92 GB. 4480 MB is much higher than 2.92 GB, right?

This is not right; you should have other options.  How are you setting the 4480?  4480 is the size of a single layer disk; you want the encode settings, as Hunt is describing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 10:51 AM   in reply to CClife

For the vast majority of my DVD-Video Projects, I Export to DV-AVI Type II files, and Import those into Encore, allowing for it to set the Transcode setting via its Automatic mode. This has worked very well, with but a few exceptions. In the case of high-motion, especially across the lens axis, I have done my bit budgeting for those Sequences and Exporting to DVD-compliant MPEG-2's. For the rest, that DV-AVI and Encore's Automatic have given me great results, using all the disc real estate, that it can. Even when squeezing more that 120 mins. of footage onto a DVD-5, Encore has done a great job for me.

Good luck, and maybe Export as a DV-AVI Type II (I use elemental/elementary streams with Video-only in one file, and then Audio-only in the other), and let Encore do the Automatic "thing." Test and observe carefuly.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 4:37 PM   in reply to CClife

I have Exported Projects up to 3.5 hours with no issues. The only limiting factors might be HDD real estate, or perhaps the format/CODEC used. For instance, DV-AVI Type I's have a size limitation, but cannot recall what it is now. Could be that in your friend's case, they ran against free space limitations, or limitations of format/CODEC. That is about all that I can think of.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 3:19 PM   in reply to CClife

The minimum will depend on both your footage and what you can tolerate. If you have limited motion, especially across the lens axis, lower might work. With much motion, especially across the lens axis, you may decide to bump it up.

One neat feature of Encore is that it will Automatically Transcode to "Fit Media," within certain limits, and you can then test that, to see how well Encore did. For may material, I use Automatic very often.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points