• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 10.1 is not installed even though message says it was successful.

Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use W7 Ultimate, 64 bit, and IE 8. Whenever I try to watch video a message says I  need to upgrade Flash Player and gives me a link to version 10.l

I uninstalled version 10.0.32.18, then downloaded and installed version 10.l. A message says the installation was successful. However, I still get the same message and link whenever I try to watch video. I tried repeatedly with the same results. Each time Update Checker identifies the installed version as 10.0.32.18 even though an Adobe message says the installation of v.10.1 was successful.

Can anyone help?

gbsib

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gb, just to cut to the chase, go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash  Open the Flash folder and post back all files listed there. If you have any NPSWF, then right click on each one and then click on Properties to obtain the version numbers.

Also using IE8, go to Tools, manage add ons (all add ons) and find Shockwave Flash Object and post back all that is listed there and it must be Enabled.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The files listed in the Flash folder are: Flash10h.ocx, FlashInstall, FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.dll, FlashUtil10h_ActiveX, and install.

There is no NPSWF.

There is no Shockwave Flash Object in All Add-ons). Adobe Systems has 4 add-ons, all disabled, but I enabled them. They are: SmartSelectClass, Adobe PDF Conversion, Adobe PDF Link Helper, and Adobe PDF.

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. The "h" among the Flash files indicate vs 10.1. What is Update Checker? I don't understand why it is reporting the older version of Flash Player. It is not in your Flash Folder, only the 10.1.

The fact that you can't find the Shockwave Flash Object, tho is a concern. Now, try searching again as IE places ActiveX, BHO's and Helpers in Categories. Since I don't use IE8, I can't be more specific. Just look again to be sure.

That is an ActiveX Control and must be Installed and Enabled since it works with the Flash Files for Flash Player to work.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Update Checker is a program that scans installed programs to see if you have the latest version available. It also lists the version that is installed.

I used a search function on the whole computer and then on individual sections such as Documents, Program Files, Windows, etc. I am as certain as I can be that Shockwave Flash Object is not on this computer.

George

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:28:02 -0600

To: geosibley@hotmail.com

Subject: Flash Player 10.1 is not installed even though message says it was successful.

Hi, thanks. The "h" among the Flash files indicate vs 10.1. What is Update Checker? I don't understand why it is reporting the older version of Flash Player. It is not in your Flash Folder, only the 10.1.

The fact that you can't find the Shockwave Flash Object, tho is a concern. Now, try searching again as IE places ActiveX, BHO's and Helpers in Categories. Since I don't use IE8, I can't be more specific. Just look again to be sure.

That is an ActiveX Control and must be Installed and Enabled since it works with the Flash Files for Flash Player to work.

Thanks,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just downloaded and installed Agent Ransack which is a search program that goes well beyond basic Windows searches. It digs into binary files, including .exe files, but it found nothing regarding Shockwave Flash Object.

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well you certainly went the extra mile searching. Sorry I didn't get back to you last night, but was delayed.

One of the reasons that the ActiveX Control wasn't Installed would be if you are not using the Administrator Account, which has the required permissions. Another would be an Anti-Virus/Firewall program. Check also your IE Security setting in Internet Options for the Internet Zone, it should be set at Medium.

Let me know about the above.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I put *.adobe.com in the Trusted Sites and set the Security Level to Low, and set the Internet Security Level to Medium.

Adobe Flash Player Updater and Adobe Update Manager are in the White List of the Firewall.

I opened IE 8 using Run as administrator to go to the Adobe download site, but there was no option to Run as administrator to download and install...or I couldn't find it. So, I installed it and, again got the message it was successful. However, everything is the same.

Is it possible to simply download Showckwave Flash Object by itself?

George

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:23:08 -0600

Subject: Flash Player 10.1 is not installed even though message says it was successful.

Hi, well you certainly went the extra mile searching. Sorry I didn't get back to you last night, but was delayed.

One of the reasons that the ActiveX Control wasn't Installed would be if you are not using the Administrator Account, which has the required permissions. Another would be an Anti-Virus/Firewall program. Check also your IE Security setting in Internet Options for the Internet Zone, it should be set at Medium.

Let me know about the above.

Thanks,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everything you have done is correct. However, the issue is that the Administrator Account must be used. This is required to Install the ActiveX Control and write to the Windows Registry. This is what the various Accounts are all about in Windows. User accounts do not have that authority, Limited accounts do not. The Administrator does. It is about Security that Microsoft has for Windows Systems and the ActiveX Controls.

It appears that is the problem, since you didn't mention the Anti-Virus and you changed your Security setting.

When you set your computer up, the Administrator Account would have been the first one you set up. You shouldn't have any problem if you use that Account, notwithstanding any Anti-Virus/Firewall.

Hope this helps explain it a little better.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I checked the accounts, although I did not realize it, I have been using the Administrator Account. What extension does the the file have? I can set my antivirus program to exclude it from a scan.

George

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:42:17 -0600

Hi, Everything you have done is correct. However, the issue is that the Administrator Account must be used. This is required to Install the ActiveX Control and write to the Windows Registry. This is what the various Accounts are all about in Windows. User accounts do not have that authority, Limited accounts do not. The Administrator does. It is about Security that Microsoft has for Windows Systems and the ActiveX Controls.

It appears that is the problem, since you didn't mention the Anti-Virus and you changed your Security setting.

When you set your computer up, the Administrator Account would have been the first one you set up. You shouldn't have any problem if you use that Account, notwithstanding any Anti-Virus/Firewall.

Hope this helps explain in a little better.

Thanks,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, If you have been using the Admin. account, then it is not that. Yes, I would disable the Anti-Virus, just be sure to check and see if more than one component needs disabled. The Admin account would most likely  be under User Accounts. When you log on, is it with that account?

Have you read over the Uninstall guide here?  It has some information that you may want to review.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Thanks,

eidnolb

P.S. Are you aware that each time you use your email to reply to your thread that your email is posted?

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have deinitely been using the Admin. account each time I log in. Do you know the extension of the Shockwave Flash Object file? I need it to make sure the antivirus will exclude it.

I installed FireFox and the Flash Player works great with it. Thinking something was wrong with IE 8 I got rid of it and re-installed it. That did not help. If it won't work with the antivirus disabled, I guess I'll use FireFox to watch videos unless you have other suggestions. At any rate, I really appreciate your help.

Yes, I have used the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller to uninstall the Flash Player each time before I tried to install it.

George

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:01:59 -0600

Hi, If you have been using the Admin. account, then it is not that. Yes, I would disable the Anti-Virus, just be sure to check and see if more than one component needs disabled. The Admin account would most likely be under User Accounts. When you log on, is it with that account?

Have you read over the Uninstall guide here? It has some information that you may want to review.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Thanks,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, The Shockwave Flash Object is an ActiveX Control that installes in the browser. There is no file. It is just like any other add on you have, like the ones you had disabled but then enabled. It would be listed with them. But because it is an ActiveX, instead of a helper or a BHO, it needs permission from Windows. Using the Admin. account gives you that permission, but the Anti-Virus can block it. That is what Anti-Virus programs do. Most all can be disabled so as to not block it while you are Installing. But, some anti-virus have more components that have to be disabled differently than just right clicking on the icon and "disable". That is why I wanted you to tell me what Anti-Virus program you use. I most likely have information on all of the Anti-Virus programs and some are more difficult than others.

I knew you used the Uninstaller, just wanted you to take a look at the Security Settings, which you probably did.

Well at least you have Firefox. Hope that works for you until we can figure out IE.

Do you know what setting you have the UAC (User Account Control) set at?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have Bit Defender 2010 Internet Security,and I will try again to get

Flash Player while disabling the real time protection, which I think is

what you mean. I'll let you know the results.

The UAC seeing is on the "not recommended", never notify when Programs

try installing software or make changes to comuterk or when I make

changes to Windows settings.

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Disabling Real Time protection did not help. Something odd is that each time I uninstall Flash Player prior to reinstalling it is a message that appears if IE 8 is still open. The message tells me to close it because they are incompatible. I do use a 64 bit computer, but I use 32 bit IE 8, so I don't understand the message.

George

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:05:46 -0600

Hi, The Shockwave Flash Object is an ActiveX Control that installes in the browser. There is no file. It is just like any other add on you have, like the ones you had disabled but then enabled. It would be listed with them. But because it is an ActiveX, instead of a helper or a BHO, it needs permission from Windows. Using the Admin. account gives you that permission, but the Anti-Virus can block it. That is what Anti-Virus programs do. Most all can be disabled so as to not block it while you are Installing. But, some anti-virus have more components that have to be disabled differently than just right clicking on the icon and "disable". That is why I wanted you to tell me what Anti-Virus program you use. I most likely have information on all of the Anti-Virus programs and some are more difficult than others.

I knew you used the Uninstaller, just wanted you to take a look at the Security Settings, which you probably did.

Well at least you have Firefox. Hope that works for you until we can figure out IE.

Do you know what setting you have the UAC (User Account Control) set at?

Thanks,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes that is what I meant about the real time protection. And ok on the UAC. The error message I understand. This thread has instructions that I posted for the Uninstaller and the Installers for IE and FF.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/658760?tstart=0

Page down to Post # 11. Now something you may want to consider and I recommend it and that is after you download the Uninstaller and Installers to your Desktop, follow these steps.

Print out those instructions on Post #11 so you can follow them & don't connect back to the Internet until you see that listed in the following steps.

Disconnect from the Internet. Disable the Real time Anti-Virus and if it has a Firewall, that also. Windows Firewall is ok.

Follow the instructions on Post #11.

When finished with the last Reboot, then Re-enable your Anti-Virus & Firewall (if disabled)

Re-Connect back to the Internet and then Test each browser per the instructions.

As long as your Anti-Virus does not re-enable itself after the 2nd Reboot for IE and before you run the Installers you should be ok. Some AV's do and some don't.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

eidnolb

P.S. I corrected the link that I had posted.

Message was edited by: eidnolb      To corrrect link previously posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I followed your instructions to the letter, but that did not help.

It just will not install.

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well since there are only a couple of things that would prevent the ActiveX Control from Installing and if it is not the Administrator account, then it must be the Anti-Virus. Does the AV have a Firewall with it? Now some Anti-Virus programs, even when you disable them, will re-enable themselves on a Reboot. That could have happened. I have some info on Bit Defender and will review it.

You have checked your IE add ons for the Shockwave Flash Object?

Will post back.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Here is what I found on BitDefender 2010. It does have a Firewall and needs to be Disabled. It also has a real-time Scanner, and a Virus Shield. Now those latter two, I don't know if they are separate components or not. You'll have to check on that. The Firewall definitely needs Disabled separately, that isn't done by Disabling the Real time protection. You have to find the Advanced View to do that.

Check that out and let me know since that may be the problem.

Thanks,

eindolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 17, 2010 Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here are the steps I just took:

1. Closed every application.

Stopped real time virus protection.

Made sure Adobe Update Manager is on the white list of the firewall.

Made sure Adobe Flash Player updater is on the white list of the firewall.

Unchecked every box under the Advanced settings of the firewall.

Ran the uninstall tool to get rid of the Flash Player.

Restarted the computer

Downloaded the Flash Player installer to the Desktop.

Disconnected the internet.

Ran the installer.

Restarted the computer.

My Update Notifier now shows that both 10.0.32.18 and 11.5.2.602 versions of Flash Player are installed, but no Shockwave flash object is present and I still can't watch video.

Is there really a v.11.5.2.602?

George

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 18:12:46 -0600

Hi, Here is what I found on BitDefender 2010. It does have a Firewall and needs to be Disabled. It also has a real-time Scanner, and a Virus Shield. Now those latter two, I don't know if they are separate components or not. You'll have to check on that. The Firewall definitely needs Disabled separately, that isn't done by Disabling the Real time protection. You have to find the Advanced View to do that.

Check that out and let me know since that may be the problem.

Thanks,

eindolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gb, I think that you are relying on this Update checker too much. Early on, you confirmed what Flash files were installed. What the Update Checker reports is not correct, sorry. The proof in the pudding is what Flash Player files are Installed.

In Post#2, you had the correct Flash files Installed, regardless of what the Update Checker said. I can't use the Update Checker as the Standard on whether you have Flash Player Installed or not and you shouldn't either. This is getting too confusing.

The only issue you had was the Shockwave Flash Object did not Install and I posted the reasons in Post#6.

There is a procedure to Uninstall Flash Player and to Install Flash Player and it appears that you are relying on other programs to dictate.

Also I have never heard of anyone using the Adobe Update Manager for Flash Player. Perhaps you should read up on it and see if you really need it.

Are you a Developer? My suggestion would be to take a look in Programs and Features via Control Panel and see if all of the Adobe Programs you have Installed are needed. Then check your IE add ons for the same.

My Post# 6 still stands. Until that is corrected, there is nothing more that can be done. That Update Checker, does is have a website? If it is identifying those 2 files as Flash Player files, then I know I wouldn't be using it and you shouldn't either.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I got rid of Update Notifier, and I use Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro but am not a developer.

I honestly thought I was following all your instructions to the letter. I skipped some steps in my last post, but here is everything I really did.

I used the Administrator account, closed all applications, set the Internet security to Medium, put *.adobe.com in Trusted sites and set Internet security to low for it, removed real time protection for my antivirus, used Advanced Settings to disable the firewall, downloaded the Flash Player installer and uninstaller to the Desktop, disconnected the Internet, and closed all browsers.

The uninstaller was then run. Then the installer was run. The computer was booted . It was then rebooted. The insaller was run again. The computer was rebooted. The Internet was connected.

Please look over each step and if I'm skipping something I'll add it before trying again.

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:34:27 -0600

Hi gb, I think that you are relying on this Update checker too much. Early on, you confirmed what Flash files were installed. What the Update Checker reports is not correct, sorry. The proof in the pudding is what Flash Player files are Installed.

In Post#2, you had the correct Flash files Installed, regardless of what the Update Checker said. I can't use the Update Checker as the Standard on whether you have Flash Player Installed or not and you shouldn't either. This is getting too confusing.

The only issue you had was the Shockwave Flash Object did not Install and I posted the reasons in Post#6.

There is a procedure to Uninstall Flash Player and to Install Flash Player and it appears that you are relying on other programs to dictate.

Also I have never heard of anyone using the Adobe Update Manager for Flash Player. Perhaps you should read up on it and see if you really need it.

Are you a Developer? My suggestion would be to take a look in Programs and Features via Control Panel and see if all of the Adobe Programs you have Installed are needed. Then check your IE add ons for the same.

My Post# 6 still stands. Until that is corrected, there is nothing more that can be done. That Update Checker, does is have a website? If it is identifying those 2 files as Flash Player files, then I know I wouldn't be using it and you shouldn't either.

Regards,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. I know you have been doing most of what I suggested and after reviewing your steps, it could be perhaps a couple may have been overlooked.

Glad you aren't paying attention to the Update Checker, I think that was confusing you and then me:-) I was looking at the Flash files and you were looking at the Update Checker.

Now I also have a question about the Adobe Update Manager. Why is this in the mix, or used? What exactly does it do?

I'd like to have some information on that before we proceed.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't know anything about it except a statement that it installs with some Adobe downloads. I did not delibertly get it, and I can get rid of it. it.

George

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:37:17 -0600

Hi, thanks. I know you have been doing most of what I suggested and after reviewing your steps, it could be perhaps a couple may have been overlooked.

Glad you aren't paying attention to the Update Checker, I think that was confusing you and then me:-) I was looking at the Flash files and you were looking at the Update Checker.

Now I also have a question about the Adobe Update Manager. Why is this in the mix, or used? What exactly does it do?

I'd like to have some information on that before we proceed.

Thanks,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just looked at all the add-ons and the Update Manager is not there

now. See attached screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines