Skip navigation
Katah2
Currently Being Moderated

page flip?

Jun 29, 2010 12:04 PM

I am trying to find an inexpensive way to make my pdf files look good...

I wanted the documents to have the "page flip" capabilities. 

someone suggested:

You could place PDF files in InDesign and export to a page-turnable SWF file. If you don't have InDesign, grab the fully functional 30-day trial to do the conversion from PDF to SWF

I am using InDesign CS2, and when I export, I do not see a SWF file option? -- the closest I see is SVG?

is there something that is not activated in my version?

any suggestions?

Thanks, Katah

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2010 12:26 PM   in reply to Katah2

Probably your version. You'll need to upgrade to a new version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 12:59 PM   in reply to Katah2

CS5 is the current version and even with that I'm afraid you're going to be very disappointed if you think you're going to get a PDF to behave like a SWF file.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 1:09 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, I don't think Katah wants to see page flipping within a PDF, probaly take an existing PDF, place in Indesign and export a new page flipping SWF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 1:15 PM   in reply to Jeffrey_Smith

MMMMM, perhaps. But that comes with a whole different set of issues. File size, delivery method, etc.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 2:25 PM   in reply to Katah2

I found this service online: Convert PDF Documents to SWF. Can't vouch for it but it seems to be free.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 8:04 AM   in reply to Katah2

I use Page Flip http://page-flip.com/

I load my PDF into the program. It does pretty much the rest itself. Easy to use and setup. When I first bought it I had my PDF in pageflip awesomeness in under 2 hours (experimenting with). Now i get it done in about 20 minutes.

Handy little program to have.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 8:10 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

I have a related question about page flip. I've seen swf files where there is a wire spiral in the center. That's an effect I would like as I do a lot of wire coil books and it would be cool if the swf file matched the actual book. Is there a plug in or app that will generate a book with page flip and wire coil in the center.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 8:15 AM   in reply to Mr. Met

I don't know - I've never really looked into it to be honest. I use the software to make the flipping book from the PDF and I just upload to the website. Works for what I need. You could try contacting them and perhaps they could help with that?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 9:35 AM   in reply to Mr. Met

You mean like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/133381/wiredFolder/index.html

Resolution of wire is a bit lousy, but I couldn´t find better for this demo.

That is made from InDesign CS4 (CS5 will do as well). The trick is to use single pages, not facing pages... and place the wire at the middle of the page. If SWF is exported as single pages, page transition will fold the page at horizontal half point... and it looks like page is folding by using same line where the wire is....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 10:16 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

Petteri, I can achieve the wire look using a facing page layout with the wire art placed in the center of the spread and export a swf with spreads, this seems to create the same effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 10:37 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

Something like that but much better done. It looks like a spiral, not two pieces of art butted together.I wish I had saved the link.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 11:23 AM   in reply to Mr. Met

That wasn´t suppose to demonstrate quality as I mentioned. Of course you can prepare and extract some good image of a wire for hours if you like.

This is just a technique I have used sometime to get a feeling of wire binded folder...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 11:25 AM   in reply to Jeffrey_Smith

I have to admit that I can´t recall why I used single pages rather than spreads... but there was some reason.... I´ll get back to this if I remember it....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 11:41 AM   in reply to Mr. Met

was this your original lost link:

http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/Portfolio.swf

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 11:42 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

Here's the sample I was talking about.

Edit: We posted the same link at the same time!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points