• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing "locked" at half-page reduction

New Here ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is pretty straightforward.  When I try to print an unreduced single-page document from Reader (off a new Windows 7 Home Premium notebook), instead of 1 nice portrait 81/2 x 11 page, I get a half-page reduction printed on the right-hand side of a landscape sheet.  The printer also spits out a second, blank sheet with each print.

Among the things I've tried:

- Updating my install of Reader

- "Repairing" my install

- Switching to a different "multiple pages per sheet" size (which works) and then switching back to "Fit to Printable Area" (which just gets me back to the half page)

- Swithing to landscape format and then back to portrait

- Switching to "Shrink to Printable Area"

- Restarting the computer

- Shutting down the printer for 30 minutes and restarting

- Switching "Auto Rotate and Center" on and off

- A few other things I no longer remember

I can "override" this problem by going into "Advanced" and checking "Print as image," but that slows down the printer a lot, and I'd prefer to find a real solution rather than a workaround.

Any suggestions???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Adobe Reader are you using?

Could you please upload the test file here?

Thanks,

-Shilpi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem, and it is consistant with all files. Everything that I print from Adobe Reader 9.30 or Acrobat Pro 9.3.2 comes out sideways and reduced to fit half the page. This occurs only with the Xerox Phase 4510 N PS and the Xerox Phaser 6360 DN PS.

Combinations that print just fine:

1. Any file in Reader or Acrobat Pro to an HP Laserjet 4250

2. Any Word/Excel file or the Windows Test Page to the Xerox printers listed above.

My operating system is 64-bit Windows 7 with all updates as of 6/1/2010. I never had this problem until I went to Windows 7. I have tried every conceivable option when printing. I've also deleted and reinstalled the print drivers. I've checked the Xerox site, but the problem is (for me) specific to Adobe.

This problem has severely damaged my workflow. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem.  Tried all of the same solutions.  Reinstalled and re-updated software.  This is a new problem that only began to occur yesterday when I reinstalled Acrobat9 after experiencing a hard drive crash.  Problem only occurs in Acrobat.  Word, Excel, etc all work perfectly with the Xerox Phaser 8860 printer I am using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2010 Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does everyone have all three of:

1. Win 7 64-bit

2. Xerox printers

3. Only Reader or Acrobat have the problem?

I did find that the free program SumatraPDF would print my PDFs just fine to those printers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobKnoxville wrote:

So does everyone have all three of:

1. Win 7 64-bit

2. Xerox printers

3. Only Reader or Acrobat have the problem?

I did find that the free program SumatraPDF would print my PDFs just fine to those printers.

I have these three criteria, and the same problem listed above. I have tried all of the suggestions here, nothing helps. For the time being, I've had to deply another PDF viewer, but I'd much rather use Adobe Reader.

Is there any formal route to lodge this as a bug? I don't have any Adobe support contract 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The instructions that someone put up there that COMPLETELY removed the

driver (i.e. not just deleting the printer) finally worked for me. Give

it a shot. We don't have an Adobe support contract either. Cheers, Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobKnoxville wrote:

Hi,

The instructions that someone put up there that COMPLETELY removed the

driver  (i.e. not just deleting the printer) finally worked for me. Give

it a shot. We don't have an Adobe support contract either. Cheers, Bob

Hi Bob,

Didn't work for me - I'd tried that first!

What did work, in the end, was removing the drivers, and installing the Xerox Global Print Driver instead. Go figure.

Cheers,

Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Max,

Thanks for the tip. You never know when an updated might bring the

problem back.

Cheers,

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2010 Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the problem in both Win7-32 and Win7-64.  Both using a Phaser 8860.

Problem never occurs when printing from any program other than Acrobat.

Problem does not occur when printing from PrimoPDF (Acrobat clone).

I was able to fix the problem by deleting the Phaser printer in the normal way from the Control Panel.  Then, I selected another printer, clicked on the "Print Server Properties" tab near the top of the page. Then, click on the "Drivers" tab.  Select all drivers related to the Phaser and delete them as well.  The program will ask if you just want to delete the driver or everything.  Select everything. Then, I rebooted the computer and reinstalled the Phaser driver from scratch.  In the Control Panel-Systems-Device Manager menu I double-checked that the correct driver was associated with the printer and this seemed to fix things.

I found one other solution that worked.  I installed the PCL driver in place of the PostScript (PS) driver and the problem was eliminated.  This is an inferior solution because the PS driver has better control over the printer features.  I was using the PCL driver until I stumbled upon the better solution I described above.

It appears that merely deleting a printer does not actually eliminate the drivers that were previously installed.  You have to do a fairly deep cleansing to get rid of everything.  Then, you have to reboot and reinstall the printer drivers.  The key is to install the printer drivers AFTER installing or upgrading Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Client found a solution for us:

1. From Adobe Acrobat

2. Go to Print to Phaser

3. Go to Advanced

4. Select "Print as Image"

Works well so far in the 3 x Win7 x64 + Adobe 9 Std + Phaser 8550DT workstations that were experiencing this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,

I had the same issue, and the fix was sooooooooooo easy.... but it cost me the $25.00 to call Xerox to figure it out

Needless to say it should be on the Xerox support site... because it they told me this I could have easilydumper the 8500 driver in place of the global print ps driver.

Anyway here is what was happening... just like you guys, I'd open an acrobat / pdf file  and everything was getting rotated and pushed to half the page .....

I did uninstalls, reinstalls, etc.etc.......

Ok, here's what you do install the GLOBAL PRINT DRIVER

For a 64bit windows machine and a phaser 8500DN the file is : http://www.support.xerox.com/support/global-printer-driver/file-download/enus.html?operatingSystem=win7x64&fileLanguage=en&contentId=111410&from=downloads&viewArchived=false

However since its a global print driver it should work for all Xerox printers.... however if your a 32bit system, just find the global print driver for 32 bit machines... anyway

IMPORTANT : REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE FILE YOU JUST DOWNLOADED

Then, you go to

• DEVICE AND PRINTERS
  • RIGHT CLICK THE 8500 THAT ISNT PRINTING PROPERLY
  • CHOOSE PRINTER PROPTERIES - THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OPTIONS - DO NOT CHOOSE PROPERTIES - CHOOSE PRINTER PROPERTIES
  • CHOOSE THE ADVANCED TAB
  • CHOOSE NEW DRIVER
  • ON THE FIRST WINDOW CLICK NEXT
  • NOW... ON THE 2ND WINDOW INSTEAD OF SCROLLING THRU THE LIST CHOOSE "HAVE DISK"
  • BROWSE TO YOUR C DRIVE - AND THERE SHOULD BE A XEROX FOLDER - OPEN THE FOLDER WHERE THE GLOBAL POSTSCRIPT FILE IS
  • CHOOSE THAT AS YOUR DRIVER
  • CLICK APPLY AND OK

** Side note, close all other files... when I 1st did this I had acrobat open with the print menu up and crashed out

Now your driver will say : "Xerox Global Print Driver PS "

Funny I know, you are soo use to seeing it say the model number.... but to get this to work it has to say global print driver

Now, you have to configure the global driver to work for your printer

To configure its easy, just know what model you have and what featuers you have on your printer.... if you are unsure, print out a configuration from your printer.... ie walk up to your machine, and print the configuration page from the on screen printer menu......

But you will need to do the following under device and printers / printer preferences

OPTIONS TAB

CONFIGURATION

In this pop up / scroll menu choose your printer model

NEXT -

CONFIGURATION TAB

INSTALLABLE OPTIONS

Many options here, turn on the options your printer has , for me I had a hard drive, 2 trays and duplex.... each printer is different

Click apply and ok

Now it should work

Basically it seems that XEROX did a decent job updating all the drivers for there older machines to work on Windows 7.... however they forget to tell you TO use the Global Print Driver instead of the regualr one... so we assume, we should just click on the drivers that say our printer model

This worked perfect for me... I dont have to print as Image and lose data, easy peasy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2010 Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, that problem has been driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2010 Dec 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit) with a Phasor 5550 DP.  I had exactly the same problem.  I used the WEB installer (recommended) and deleted/reinstalled/explored for days.  All to no avail until I read this post.  All is well now.  Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2011 Jan 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JMcGuirre, many thanks for reaching out to Xerox and posting the solution online. I will try this and hopefully it will for work me as well (also thanks to the original poster for bringing this problem to light).

I have a Xerox 8550 DP and have been racking my head on how to resolve this for the past week and a half.  I am using Windows 7 (32 bit).

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.2 and Adobe Reader 9.X. The issue surfaced when I unsuccessfully tried to print multiple pages on a single sheet using the Xerox 8550 DP printer set up options.

UPDATE: I successfully installed the 32-bit Xerox Global Printer Driver. I am now able to print normally!!! Hurray JMcGuirre is my hero.

Just one note on the procedure for installing. I didn't need to do the second configuration step (under options tab under printer preferences) after the driver install, as Xerox did not let me reselect my printer. so I gave up on that step and  I decided to print anyway. On revisiting the options tab after successfully printing, it appears my PC has auto selected the correct printer to populate in the printer configuration menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the Global Print Driver fixed our problem as well, using a 64 bit system and Xerox Phaser 8860.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2011 Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if you are unwilling or unable to install the GPD (or just hate it like i do) there is an alternative but you need the full version of acrobat, not reader.

1. go document->rotate pages->rotate pages 180 degres (only rotate 1st page)

2. save the document (DO NOT CLOSE THE PDF)
3. rotate the page again but do not save

4. print

this worked for me before i found this thread. i was only revieveing the error on PDFs created from 64bit systems and only with PDFs created from adobe, not alternate PDF creators as stated above.

i however, am still going to try and find something better with the actual print driver, because i cant stand the GPD.

UPDATE:

I am using a Docucolor 242 w/ a firey controller. there are 2 drivers for my printer, one WITH the fiery, and one without. i installed the GPD, then switched it back to the driver with the firey support and VOILA. everything works like a charm.

for everyone who hates the GPD, i would reccomend installing the GPD, then switching it back to you're old driver. (unless you like the GPD) and see if that'll work. the GPD might leave some updated DLLs or something in there that fix the bug.

Message was edited by: rogerrabbitprinter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines