Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Save multipage PDF into separate pages as PDF files

Former Community Member
Hi,

I have a 5 page PDF form. I need to save this 5 page form as 5 seperate PDFs. Each PDF will be of one page from the original form. So i need to split the 5 page original PDF into 5 seperate single page PDF. I need to do this as part of my workflow. Please help.
73 Replies

Former Community Member
did you ever get an answer on this? I'm trying to find out the same thing, so if you know, please help me

Level 1

Ha! used to be so easy. This product has become so un-intuitive its laughable

Level 1

In the new Acrobat Pro version, it is still there, though almost impossible to find.  Hope this helps.  Even with this thread, which got me close, it was still a lot of searching around, so here's the step-by step. 

1. On the right side, or in your tools tab, select "ORGANIZE PAGES"

2. in the horizontal tool bar just above the thumbnails of your pages, click the "EXTRACT" button

3. Highlight the pages you want to extract.

4. Check the "Extract pages as separate files" box in the horizontal tool bar.

Select your save location and you're done!

Former Community Member
Document > Pages > Extract

Specify which pages to extract

Press OK

Pages you specified will appear in a new document

You can save this under a new file name

This is all in the help section..search for 'extract pages'

Former Community Member

This worked perfectly. Only one thing, if you open the pdf on ilustrator again all the pages will still appear, to avoid that make sure you unchecked the "preserve illustrator editing capabilities" before saving your illustrator file into pdf.

Hope it helps

Level 1

thankyou! worked perfectly, saved me so much time:)

Former Community Member
I have the new Acrobat Reader 9.

When I go to Document I don't have "Page" feature.

So I cannot separate the pages.

What do I do?

Level 1

I am using Acrobat 8.0 I don't have a "pages" either.  But you should see "Extract Pages" under the Document drop-down list.  It work perfect for me and saved a lot of time.  Glad that Adobe had the foresight to build in this function.

Level 1
I used this method to extract pages from a Illustrator CS4 file and they appear as single pages in Acrobat, but when opened in AI, all pages are still in each file. I'm looking for a simple way to export individual pages from an AICS4 multi-page PDF.

Former Community Member

to avoid that make sure you unchecked the "preserve illustrator editing capabilities" before saving your illustrator file into pdf.

Former Community Member

I have Acrobat 9. When I click on the ‘Document’ option in the toolbar, I click on ‘Extract Pages’. It then asks me to specify what pages I want to extract and gives me 2 check box options. The first asks if I want to delete the pages after I extract and the second gives me the option to extract each page to an individual file.

Hope this is helpful to someone... :o)

Former Community Member

Stewart,

When I specify what pages I want to save as individual pages, is there a way to name each page?

Ilene Young

Level 1

Has anyone figured out how to have each page named by content in the file rather than numerically?

Level 1

Hello,

I have the same problem, did you find a way to rename the document with some content instead of a basic prefix/sufix ?

Thanks

Level 1

On my version of Adobe there is no documents option in the tool bar.

This is what I despise about Adobe. They change the user interface for the sake of change. An inconsistent interface renders tutorials like this video useless. It flushes down the toilet the time and effort a user invests in learning an earlier interface.

How does Adobe get away with disrespecting their customers? Because they are a monopoly.

Level 1

AWESOME!!!! This thread was exactly what I needed. I split a single 8 page pdf into 8 separate pages.

Well done!

Level 1

I am on Reader 9.3 and I don't see pages or extract pages under documents.  Is it because we only have Adobe Reader and nothing else?

Level 1

You need any of the Adobe Acrobat products; not Adobe reader. Adobe Reader is the free lighter version of Acrobat from Adobe without all the bells and whistles of Acrobat. I used Acrobat at work to break my pages since I too have only Adobe Reader at home. Yeah it sucks I know. You might try the library, work, etc.for a computer with Acrobat. You can pick it up pretty cheap on ebay or craigslist.

Level 1

I was able to accomplish this using a free online service called www.splitpdf.net.  You simply upload the file and tell it which page you want extracted.  It then returns a pdf containing only the page you selected.  Unfortunately, you have to repeat this step for each page you need to extract but it's an easy process.