Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS5 memory problem

New Here ,
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have iMac 7,1, Core2Duo 2.8GHz and 4GB memory.

When Illustrator is started it takes around 200mb of Real Memory (I'm watching it in Activity Monitor). Then I open some big file (115mb) and Illustrator now uses 685mb.

Now the interesting stuff: when I close that file, Illustrator's real memory usage is lowered by only 20mb (it's 662mb then), and then I reopen that file (or any other file or files), and memory usage is now 1.1gb! So, I close and reopen, and we're at 1.5gigs, close and reopen again - 1.88, again 2.25, again 2.65gb (100mb is free at this point), and when I close file and reopen it, Illustrator can't open it and there's pop-up message "The file is not readable".

I used this example with big file, because it's quickest, but same thing happens with any other file or files, if I open them enough times.

Good job, Adobe...

Is there any solution for this, besides restarting Illustrator frequently???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think you should go ahead and report this issue to Adobe https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Thank you for your input.

Regards,

Nitin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leo,

thanks for link, I reported this to Adobe.

Bug update: I tried this on two more computers, and same thing happens. Reinstall doesn't help neither.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue here.

I have spent HOURS on the phone to Adobe trying to fix this issue, and erevy one I speak to makes me, re install. no one is admiting that there is an issue. but I found this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1269780#1269780

It seems that this is an ongoing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post on Memory Issues in CS 4.

IMO, Adobe did us a real disservice not making a 64bit version of Illustrator.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2414949#2414949

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still talking with Adobe support (up to about 6 hours in total) getting past from department to department. Not one person will admit there is an issue. They are playing the blame game, my favourites:

Are you on a network? We don't support networks.

Have you uninstalled CS3? You have to do that.

Have you uninstalled CS5? You have to do that.

Have you created a new account? You have to do that.

Did you download the installer from our website? It must be corrupt. Re download the 3.5GB dmg.

I't must be a problem with your internet. Use a disc.

And that is where I am up to. They are now telling me that I need to buy "Gold Support" for further assistants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to have this problem with CS4 and managed to overcome it by changing the application to work in compatibility mode. I am using Win 7 64 bit version and a really efficient setup. Changing the compatibility helped with CS4, but not with CS5 - it just brings up an error. CS5 is probably handling memory differently. Now I can't open up files done in CS4 on this new version.

Happily Macbook Pro opens up all these files nicely and I can get rid of some layers to open it up on this problem child program.

It's a shame that Illustrator is not 64 bit yet and also that it lacks some of the capabilities found in Indesign. At least there should be a packaging function, which would help with linked files... I am working on several projects and using multiple sources of images on my documents - picking up linked images to go with the original files is quite tiresome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be out of the office until Wednesday, July 7, 2010. If there is any emergency, please contact Marc Fey at 925-456-6400.

If you have my cell #, feel free to call if absolutely needed.

Thanks!

Micah Burke

Mancini's Sleepworld

Advertising

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac and having this issue!

So its not a windows thing, its a Illustrator is shite thing.

The real scary one for us was saving CS3 jobs as CS5 and finding that we can no longer open those files, god bless backups!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I say it is a font cache issue and not Illustrator CS 5 which does not act that way here,won't be using any odd fonts or say free ones you happen to think would be a good idea to have install because they are so cool and they are free?

BTW if you are doing such large projects using Illustrator what in the world is on your mind when you purchase an iMac?

What about your scratch disk, space to store your files install your applications.

You realize that having unlimited undoes require scratch and if you do not have there source this is not going to fly.

115MB is a very large file for CS 5 I suggest you use 72 ppi for your raster image effects while you work on the file and output at the higher resolution only. Or perhaps even lower.

If you work at 300 ppi with raster image effects and have screwy fonts and you have such limited resources and work with large complex files then ou might consider investing in capable resources.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but the type and size of files you suggest really does require more resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be out of the office until Wednesday, July 7, 2010. If there is any emergency, please contact Marc Fey at 925-456-6400.

If you have my cell #, feel free to call if absolutely needed.

Thanks!

Micah Burke

Mancini's Sleepworld

Advertising

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for giving the good answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done tests on a clean installed iMac, updated with the combo updater 10.6.4.

The only thing installed is a clean OS and Illustrator.

Its not the font Cache

Sorry Wade, but what are you talking about.

The OP has 4GB RAM and a 500GB HD. What would you recommend for Illustrator? I am on a i7 with 8GB RAM 1TB HD and having the same issue.

I agree that 115MB is large but what do you want the OP to do, I am sure he's not doing it for giggles. He cannot work at 72dpi, because changing the resoultion of the job at the end will mess up all his shadows and any Gaussian Blurs he has done.

One final thing here, the OP said:

"I used this example with big file, because it's quickest, but same thing happens with any other file or files, if I open them enough times."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that as well and it doe not happen on a older Mac Pro with 17 GB of RAM, I consider my Mac out of date and am myself considering replacing it because if you work large or on many files opened at the same time that's to be expected, There is no reason for the OP to be working at 300 ppi I don't think it will mess it up.

The OP does not have the resources if he is working on 115MB files and if he used one specific file to effect this reulst then I say it is a font cache problem nd i do know what I am talking about.

And no you can't just load anything you want on your system unless you know it will wok well with your system and so if the OP and you have junk on your system then you know where the problem lies.

Having wrote this working on large complex projects in Illustrator will tax your system but one knows that from the go get and what effects AI is not really how large the file is but the complexity of it.For instance if you create paths with thousands of points and you duplicate them over and over in the same document, well you would have to consider reducing the number of points, if your raster effects setting is too high for the project you are working with then I say if you want to get your work done consider lowering the setting or simply not get the job done. But this is all old news standard practice
even if you and the op do not realize it.

After all yo u have your resources and your goal you have to work with your resources or get more resources or the alternative not do your work.

And when you find the font that is causing the problem or the plug in or third party software let me know I would be interested in know what it iwas that causes this.

Just remember it does not happen here Illustrator clears the buffer and use of the RAM as far as my system is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW it is best to have a separate scratch disk for Illustrator and best an internal drive, though not probably absolutely necessary and if the disk is fragmented a lot you can run into problems where you do not have a large enough continuous space to perform certain functions.

Also if your other applications are using real RAM Illustrator my be using the scratch that might clear up as would actual RAM a easily.

Perhaps you see what I am saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, You suggest that anyone with this problem should invest in 5000+$ Mac Pro with 32GB of RAM to successfully run Illustrator CS5 to work with "heavy" files which worked pretty well on Core2Duo iMac with Illustrator CS4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to look at the possibility for one thing yes and you might want to see if it is your system.

I noticed you ignore all the other possibilities I brought up. That tells me I should move on and good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ignored them because I didn't have this problem with previous versions of Illustrator.

I recreated problem with files that had simple vector objects, couple of text boxes, no raster effects and some linked 300dpi flattened TIFF's. Fonts that I use are mostly installed by Adobe CS5, no plug-ins are installed on any CS application.

The only thing that comes to my mind (besides buying a new workstation ) is clean reinstall of OSX which I'll try in couple a weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade yo do know that Illustrator can only address 2.5GB Ram?

You could have 600GB RAM in your Mac Pro, and it will ONLY use 2.5GB Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Com'on now use your mind it can only address 2.5 GB of RAM so that means in your mind that if you have 4GB that's more than enough RAM.

I explained it al and it is right in front of you and you still don't get it. Illustrator needs the RAM and the scratch and the scratch has to be larger than life if you are working larger than life.

Think about it. The two are connected also consider the scratch is useless if you are asking Illustrator to do complex rendering of effects and the scratch does not have a large enough continuous free space, also consider that Illustrator has unlimited undos. Put 2 and 2 together nd you see the answer is not simple as you think it is.

Then consider the systems use of RAM other applications which may be drawing from those resources, other applications like Photoshop which might be running and which are using the same resource as a scratch the speed of the drives used as well. The size of the buffer of those drives.

Do you see it trying to work with ridiculously large files on a unit that cannot handle it is unwise at best. Pretending there is no limitation to system that is so stress is not an issue that needs to be addressed is not the most intelligent approach.

You either have to stop trying to be clever in your argument ad face the facts so you can make previsions so you can work properly in the future or
you will be here forever complaining you can't get your work done.

AllI can do is hope you come around and see what is right in front of your face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, if the OP was running out of scratch disk, it would say "your scratch disk is full".

So I have a clean install, no other apps running.

Again I am running an i7 8GB Ram, 1TB HD. I am getting the same issue.

I have a 30MB file, which opens fine in CS3, but won't in CS5

So tell me, do you think thats not good enough? What do I need to open a 30MB file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give it another look, you just wrote it works for you in CS 3 and doesn't work in CS 5 your conclusion is that this is a CS 5 issue.

I first of all think you and the op have different issues.

Secondly you look at this in a vary narrow way.

CS 5 and CS 3 are different but you think they should behave as if there is no different and you keep telling us about your 1 TB drive but what about your scratch disk what about other applications you run…oh, yes you say you are not running any other applications are you sure of that?

Do you have a font manager? Have you tried cleaning your font cache?

To you there makes no sense that CS 5 is different thanCS 3. Keep in mind there are a lot of bugs that have been fixed in CS 5 from CS 3 there is support for more things and it has to be able to work in a 64 bit environment and all that might mean that you have things installed on your computer that do tie up Illustrator.

For instance iI had a problem which others had many more than with this issue here.

My issue was less severe than most but caused by the same conflict.

I had the Font Agent Pro's auto activation  plug ins installed for Photoshop and Illustrator when I found out that though I thought it was a font cash problem that most other users had I was a bit off it was actually to auto activation plug ins. Removing those plug ins until they are updated was a simple solution and a huge time saver.

Your approach is not going to get you anywhere, I can't find the cause and only someone like yourself can but you must first see this as a possibility.

I am not going to respond to this thread so you may write what you wish but anyone else who has a similar issue you might take a look at your system and apps and fonts and drivers and so on.

Good luck Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, once again:

Clean install, the only thing installed is Illustrator.

So yeah I'm pretty sure there are no other apps running.

But in your epic post you failed to answer my only questions to you. So again:

What do I need to open a 30MB file?

Oh and to remind you, your the one who came here and told the OP that he was an idiot for using an iMac, and then kept banging on about scratch disk and not enough resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened again... I reduced the file size of the document. Even made images smaller and took off several layers. I created this new file on Illustrator CS5 - and when trying to reopen the file it was saying that it can't do it. I can almost understand that this happens with files, produced on older versions, but these were done with CS5...?!?!?!&%^&!

The whole system is way too fragile - I mean, I have no way of detecting when this might happen. Maybe I should start using Inkscape instead...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I close all programs and manage to open up a file in Illustrator which is on the "borderline", and is giving me these error messages - and after opening I fire up Photoshop and open up big files... everything works smoothly and Illustrator is not problematic at all... until I open up another file...

So, it must be a memory allocation issue at start up... or when a file is opened up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines