Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Are AS3 timers make use of multi processor cores?

Jul 9, 2010 4:34 AM

Can anyone tell if a Timer in AS3 will force Flash player to create a new Thread internally and so make use of another processor core on a multicore processor?

To Bernd: I am asking because onFrame I can just blit the prepared in a timer handler function frame. I mean to create a timer running each 1ms and call the emulator code there and only show generated pixels in the ON_ENTER_FRAME handler function. In that way, theoretically, the emulator will use in best case a whole CPU-core. This will most probably not reach the desired performance anyway, but is still an improvement. Still, as I mentioned in my earlier posts, Adobe should think of speeding up the AVM. It is still generally 4-5 slower than Java when using Alchemy. Man, there must be a way to speed up the AVM, or?

For those interested what I am implementing, look at:

Sega emulated games in flash

If moderators think that this link is in some way an advertisement and harms the rules of this forum, please feel free to remove it. I will not be offended at all.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2010 8:41 AM   in reply to bkamenov

GameLure looks completely illegal to me. Not only have you pirated the games, but you are trying to make a profit from it. (Feel free to prove me wrong and show me that you have an actual agreement with Sega, Activision, etc to post their games online, but somehow I highly doubt it)

But to answer your technical question, no, the AVM is completely single threaded. Timers, Events, Functions, etc it's all a single thread. The most you can use is a single core in actionscript. If you can find some way to use pixel shaders, those are in fact multithreaded, but the type of code you can place in those is pretty restricted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 11:18 AM   in reply to bkamenov

"Abandonware" has no legal meaning. Everything produced since videogames were invented are still covered by copyright (personally I think copyright terms are waaay too long, but that's another story). Sega still sells lots of things based on the Sonic games, including compilations of old games. So even if "Abandonware" was a real thing, it would be hard to argue, as compared to something taken from a company that no longer exists for example. Also these companies often don't waste time going after the smaller infringers, since there can be so many of them. Same issue with TV/music piracy, there's tons of sites out there, often operating for a long time, they spend their money on lawyers only going after the biggest players. So maybe you'll be fine, but don't kid yourself about what you're doing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 11:50 AM   in reply to bkamenov

Ignoring the legality question, I do not think a Timer is a good idea. Since almost all the work is rendering, it makes sense to be synchronized with the frame rate.

Perhaps if you have other crunching to do in the background, some kind of green-threading system would allow that to happen without killing the rendering event handlers. But that is the only case I can see for threading the work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 3:43 PM   in reply to bkamenov

Hello Boris,

Alchemy is slower than Java and C but much faster than "regular" ActionScript. For more details see this post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662605?tstart=0

In regards to increasing the frame rate and getting more calls to your onFrameEnter() I suspect that  it is not the AVM engine that is the bottleneck.

I am proposing the following experiment: implement a Sprite with onFrameEnter that measures fps but does nothing else. Then set the framerate to 2000, compile, and run your SWF. My guess is that you get an actual frame rate between 300 and 800 fps. That fps would roughly mark the technical limits of the AVM engine.

If your game shows lower frame rates it is most likely that your games need to be optimized further. But I am sure there are also limits to optimizing your code. On the other hand: do you really need all those onFrameEnter calls? Another observation that I would like to share is that it is very important to reach 24 fps but higher frame rates won't increase the quality of your game. QuakeFlash actually limits the fps to 24. You can see that if you type in TIMEDEMO DEMO1 in the QuakeFlash console. I am getting 35 fps. There must be something in human's perception that starts accepting moving pictures at around 24 fps as reality. At 15 fps you are looking *at* the game on the screen, at 24 fps you get sucked *into* the game. I believe regular movies also only have 24 fps.

The last time I checked your game showed between 20-24 fps. If that's the case then you are good in my opinion.

Best wishes,

- Bernd

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2010 10:40 AM   in reply to bkamenov

Hello Boris,

thanks for taking the time and explaining why your project needs 60 fps. If I understand you correctly those 60 fps are necessary to maintain full audio samples rate. You said your emulator collects sound samples at the frame rate and the reduced sampling rate of 24/60 results in "choppy sound". Are there any other reasons why 60 fps are necessary? The video seems smooth.

That "choppy sound" was exactly what I was hearing when you sent me the source code of your project. But did you notice that I "solved" (read: "hacked around") the choppy sound problem even at those bad sampling rates? First off, I am not arguing with you about whether you need 60fps, or not. You convinced me that you do need 60fps. I still want to help you solve your problem (it might take a while until you get a FlashPlayer that delivers the performance you need).

But maybe it is a good time to step back for a moment and share some of the results of your and my performance improvements to your project first. (Please correct me if my numbers are incorrect, or if you disagree with my statements):

1) Embedding the resources instead of using the URLLoader.

Your version uses URLLoader in order to load game resources. Embedding the resources instead does not increase the performance. But I find it more elegant and easier to use. Here is how I did it:
    [Embed(source="RESOURCES.BIN", mimeType="application/octet-stream")]
    private var EmbeddedBIN:Class;

const rom : ByteArray = new EmbeddedBIN;

2) Sharing ByteArrays between C code and AS code.

I noticed that your code copied a lot of bytes between video and audio memory buffers on the C side into a ByteArray that you needed in order to call AS functions. I suggested using a technique for sharing ByteArrays between C code and AS code, which I will explain in a separate post.

The results of this performance optimization were mildly disappointing: the frame rate only notched up by 1-2 fps.

3) Optimized switch/case for op table calls

Your C code used a big function table that allows you to map op codes to functions. I wrote a script that converted that function table to a huge switch/case statement that is equivalent to your function table. This performance optimization was a winner. You got an improvement of 30% in performance. I believe the frame rate suddenly jumped to 25fps, which means that you roughly gained 6fps. I talked with Scott (Petersen, the inventor of Alchemy) and he said that function calls in general and function tables are expensive. This may be a weakness within the Alchemy glue code, or in ActionScript. You can work around that weakness by replacing function calls and function tables with switch/case statements.

4) Using inline assembler.

I replaced the MemUser class with an inline assembler version  as I proposed in this post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/660099?tstart=0

The results were disappointing, there was no noticeable performance gain.

Now, let me return to my choppy sound hack I mentioned earlier. This is were we enter my "not so perfect world"...

In order to play custom sound you usually create a sound object and add an EventListener for SampleDataEvent.SAMPLE_DATA:

_sound = new Sound();
    _sound.addEventListener( SampleDataEvent.SAMPLE_DATA, sampleDataHandler );

The Flash Player then calls your sampleDataHandler function for retrieving audio samples. The frequency of those requests does not necessarily match with the frequency onFrameEnter is being called. Unfortunately your architecture only gets "tickled" by onFrameEnter, which is currently only being called 25fps. This becomes your bottleneck, because no matter how often the Flash Player asks for more samples, the amount will always be limited by the frame rate. In this architecture you always end up with the FlashPlayer asking for more samples than you have if the frame rate is too low.

This is bad news. But can't we chat a little bit and assume that the "sample holes" can be filled by using sample neighbors on the time line? In other words, can't we just  stretch the samples? Well, this is what I came up with:

private function sampleDataHandler(event:SampleDataEvent):void
    {
         if( audioBuffer.length > 0 )
         {
              var L : Number;
              var R : Number;

//The sound channel is requesting more samples. If it ever runs out then a sound complete message will occur.               
              const audioBufferSize : uint = _swc.sega_audioBufferSize();

/*     minSamples, see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/events/SampleDataEvent.html
                   Provide between 2048 and 8192 samples to the data property of the SampleDataEvent object. 
                   For best performance, provide as many samples as possible. The fewer samples you provide, 
                   the more likely it is that clicks and pops will occur during playback. This behavior can 
                   differ on various platforms and can occur in various situations - for example, when 
                   resizing the browser. You might write code that works on one platform when you provide 
                   only 2048 samples, but that same code might not work as well when run on a different platform. 
                   If you require the lowest latency possible, consider making the amount of data user-selectable.                         
              */
              const minSamples : uint = 2048; 

/*     For the maximum sample rate of 44100 we still only get 1470 samples:
                   snd.buffer_size = (rate / vdp_rate) = 44100 / 60 = 735.
                   samples = snd.buffer_size * channels = 735 * 2 = 1470.

So we need to stretch the samples until we have at least 2048 samples.
                   stretch = Math.ceil(2048 / (735*2)) = 3.
                   snd.buffer_size * channels * stretch = 735 * 2 * 3 = 2790.

Bingo: 2790 > 2048 !
              */
              const stretch : uint = Math.ceil(minSamples / audioBufferSize);

audioBuffer.position = 0;
              if( stretch == 1 )
              {
                   event.data.writeBytes( audioBuffer );
              }
              else
              {
                   for( var i : uint = 0; i < audioBufferSize; ++i )
                   {
                        L = audioBuffer.readFloat();
                        R = audioBuffer.readFloat();
                        for( var k : uint = 0; k < stretch; ++k )
                        {
                             event.data.writeFloat(L);
                             event.data.writeFloat(R);
                        }
                   }
              }
              audioBuffer.position = 0;
         }
    }

After using that method the sound was not choppy anymore! Even though I did hear a few crackling bits here and there the sound quality improved significantly.

Please consider this implementation as a workaround until Adobe delivers a FlashPlayer that is 3 times faster :-)

Best wishes,

- Bernd

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2010 6:33 PM   in reply to bkamenov

Hello Boris,

your points are well taken in regards to optimizing Alchemy's function call performance!

It seems like we have run out of ideas on how to further increase the performance of your games. Future FlashPlayer versions will hopefully increase the performance to levels that will make playing your games more enjoyable.

I don't know about you but I learned a few new things along the way.

Take care,

- Bernd

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2010 11:09 AM   in reply to bkamenov

Hello,

on 7/15 I wrote that I would explain sharing ByteArrays between C code and AS code in a separate thread.

It took a while, but I just posted a recipe in this post:

AS3 ByteArray -> C# array -> calculations -> AS3 ByteArray |  How To ?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/689742?tstart=0

Best wishes,

- Bernd

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points