• Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2010 5:40 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

How about Canon S90 !

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 5:50 PM   in reply to Michael Ezra

The S90 is already partially supported. That is, distortion correction 

is done automatically to match the shape of the camera jpegs.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 6:39 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Eric, thanks for such quick reply!

What happened to chromatic aberrations with S90 - isnt it all done in one shot by ALPC?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2010 6:23 AM   in reply to Michael Ezra

For the S90 the current corrections are distortion only based on 

metadata. Lateral CA correction is for the future.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2010 1:26 AM   in reply to simonsaith

I'd like to request a profile for:

Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm  f/2.8D

Just got this lens, and the lateral CA is huge.  So, I need a manual preset or preferrably a lens profile.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2010 5:39 AM   in reply to ATLBigRedDog

I would like to see a profile for the Canon EF-s 18-135mm f/3.5-56 IS

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2010 6:21 AM   in reply to simonsaith

Would you add my request for a Canon 20-35mm to the list, too, please?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2010 1:09 PM   in reply to ATLBigRedDog

I would also like to request the 24mm PC-E for the D700.

Thanks!

Nate

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 6:19 AM   in reply to ATLBigRedDog

I'd like to see the new Nikon AF-S 16-35mm f4.0 supported. It is a super sharp lens even wide open but distortion is really heavy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 6:57 AM   in reply to volkerkunkel

volkerkunkel wrote:

I'd like to see the new Nikon AF-S 16-35mm f4.0 supported. It is a super sharp lens even wide open but distortion is really heavy.

It may not be lens distortion you're seeing. Wide-angle lenses create distorted images regardless, as they are transferring a 3D scene into a 2D one, and this will always produce side-effects.

BTW I'm jealous.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 1:13 AM   in reply to Yammer

Sadly it is really pincushion/barrel distortion (depending on the focal length used). In the moment I try to compensate with manual distortion correction in Lightroom (using values as high as 20 for 16mm shots). I only have this lens for a few days now and not shot any brick wall or something, but I fear some wavyness still remains after manual correction. I will be using the lens primary for landscape in the next weeks so I can live with that but for architecture...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2010 5:21 PM   in reply to volkerkunkel

Even when primarily barrel/pincushion variety, the shapes of the distortion curves vary quite a bit. So correction using the manual controls may leave a residual wave if the curve doesn't match exactly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 8:57 AM   in reply to exploded view-6yAW9i

exploded view wrote:

How about the Nikon 16-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 and the AF-S Nikon 50 mm f/1.4?

Thanks Adobe people! I see that both lenses made it into Lightroom 3.2 (RC), and these new profiles have been getting lots of use here!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 11:02 AM   in reply to exploded view-6yAW9i

Great! More on the way ...

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 2:33 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Please add the Canon 24mm 1.2 L IS, and the Canon 100-400mm and 100-400mm with 1.4 and 2.0 TC.

Thanks

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 3:14 PM   in reply to sjprg

Paul, I am not aware of a Canon 24 mm f/1.2 L IS lens, though I could be mistaken. Perhaps you are thinking of the 24 mm f/1.4L II lens? If so, it is already supported -- along with the 100-400 mm (without converters) in the Camera Raw 6.2 and Lightroom 3.2 Release Candidates.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2010 9:34 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

I have a Pentax K20.   Are there any lens profiles that I can download?  If not, would Adobe create the profiles for my FA 43 limited and DA 17-70 zoom?

You really should provide more than just Canon and Nikon.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 8:13 AM   in reply to Glen5678

As of the latest Camera Raw 6.2 and Lightroom 3.2 Release Candidate versions (posted to Adobe Labs on August 9), Adobe provides a number of lens profiles for Pentax, Samsung, Sigma, Sony, and Zeiss lenses (not just Canon and Nikon). However, we do not yet have Pentax DSLR lens profiles available.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 8:31 AM   in reply to ATLBigRedDog

Hi Clifford, to the best of my knowledge, not yet.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 10:18 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Well please do add some Pentax DSLR lens profiles.   There are a lot of pentax users out there.   The program you provide for designing our own looks very complex and error prone.    I would rather have the profiles designed by Adobe.   With your set-ups in place it can't be too big a job to create a few for Pentax.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 10:35 AM   in reply to Glen5678

The most productive approach is for you and your fellow Pentax users to let Pentax (i.e., the company itself) know that you are interested. They have already contributed fifteen profiles for the 645D system. You are effectively looking for this support to be extended to the DSLR lenses. The more that they see that users like yourself desire to have high-quality profiles made, I believe the more likely they are to respond.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2010 2:03 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Hi,

I might be wrong but as far as i see the results of this Panasonic H-FS045200 45-200mm  (4/3) mounted on my Olympus Pen E-P2, there is no correction at all. Unfortunately , because although it is not a very good lens, it is my 'prime' for taking Gigapans panorama's.

I need especcially corrections for light falloff in the range 150-200 mm. After stitching it looks terrible !

Any change on a REAL profile??

cheers,

Charles

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 6:41 AM   in reply to FCBCharly

Corrections are performed automatically for micro 4/3 models.

Light falloff correction can be performed automatically during stitching (check the appropriate option in Photoshop's Photomerge  dialog box).

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 7:13 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Thanks for your reply Eric,

If you say, "Corrections are performed automatically for micro 4/3 models", where is this correction done? Is this in the camera or in Lightroom already?

Unfortunately I make Gigapans panorama's (100++ pictures) with this Panasonic lens.

The software they deliver (and I use) is definitely not corrected for light falloffs. Neither are the pictures when I import them directly from the Olympus Pen into Lightroom. (RAW's) Anyway, i guess I've to make my own lensprofile. At the moment i use a Samsung (50-200mm) lensprofile thats in Lightroom. This give me already better results but not dedicated ofcourse.

btw. the falloff at 200mm of this Panasonic is dramatically, so i really have to correct them.

Cheers anyway,

Charles

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 7:58 AM   in reply to FCBCharly

Charles,

what kind of software do you use for your gigapans? Most software

should be able to automatically correct for light falloff so you don't

really need Lightroom to do it for you. I do most of my stitching

using hugin/enblend. This will fit the light falloff and all

distortion characteristics basically perfectly and correct for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2010 12:03 PM   in reply to ATLBigRedDog

Another request for the Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm  f/2.8D.  D3 - D700.

Thanks, Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2010 10:01 AM   in reply to ATLBigRedDog

In any case Adobe should provide profiles for all lenses (at least the major manufacturers).

Is not CS5 one of the most expensive softwares in the market? I find it very unfair that they expect us to make our own profiles.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2010 10:19 AM   in reply to BillytheCid

You don't have to make profiles. What Adobe provides is the ability 

and option of building your own profile for your own lens, which is a 

degree of flexibility that no one else offers.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2010 12:13 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Eric,

Maybe you meant to say that I SHOULDN’T have to make my own profiles. If, I agree with you because I am not sure if I’m capable to do it well and don’t want to be responsible for possible mistakes.

On the other hand I have a lot of lenses I can’t use properly because Adobe did not finish the job. Instead, they “kindly” gave me the option of building my own profiles. I don’t see it as a degree of flexibility. I think what Adobe should, really, do is dodge the issue and not pass the hot potato: Finish the CS5 before you go into the new business with CS6!

Billy

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2010 1:54 PM   in reply to BillytheCid

Billy, there are hundreds of lenses out there. Realistically, Adobe is not going to build lens profiles for every single lens in existence. Instead, Adobe is striving to (1) build lens profiles for commonly used lenses through its own internal efforts, (2) provide lens profiles for additional lenses through collaborative efforts with lens makers (Pentax, Sigma, Tamron, and Zeiss to date), and (3) provide the ability for users to build their own profiles for lenses that Adobe has not yet profiled. You are welcome to ignore #3, but I know that I would rather have this option than not, and in my discussions with other users, it seems they'd rather have that ability than not. Adobe will continue adding support for lens profiles over time (as demonstrated with the Camera Raw 6.1 and 6.2 releases, already). If you do not wish to build lens profiles yourself, perhaps you can tell us which lenses you have, so at least we know what you want to have profiled. Asking Adobe to support all the common or standard lenses is not helpful, because in my experience the definition of "common lens" is actually "the lenses owned by the photographer in question." 

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2010 1:55 PM   in reply to BillytheCid

Billy, there are hundreds of lenses out there. Realistically, Adobe is not going to build lens profiles for every single lens in existence. Instead, Adobe is striving to (1) build lens profiles for commonly used lenses through its own internal efforts, (2) provide lens profiles for additional lenses through collaborative efforts with lens makers (Pentax, Sigma, Tamron, and Zeiss to date), and (3) provide the ability for users to build their own profiles for lenses that Adobe has not yet profiled. You are welcome to ignore #3, but I know that I would rather have this option than not, and in my discussions with other users, it seems they'd rather have that ability than not. Adobe will continue adding support for lens profiles over time (as demonstrated with the Camera Raw 6.1 and 6.2 releases, already). If you do not wish to build lens profiles yourself, perhaps you can tell us which lenses you have, so at least we know what you want to have profiled. Asking Adobe to support all the common or standard lenses is not helpful, because in my experience the definition of "common lens" is actually "the lenses owned by the photographer in question." 

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2010 2:21 PM   in reply to BillytheCid

I find it very unfair that they expect us to make our own profiles.

Nobody expects you to make profiles. Lightroom and ACR work perfectly fine without them. You don't have to use lens profiles. Most of the time lens correction is basically irrelevant. Only a very small percentage of pros was correcting for aberrations before this tool came out. The little bit of CA modern lenses have was easily corrected by the already present manual tools in ACR/LR and the few who cared simply used other tools. Unfair is even weirder. This is a free market with many tools available with different features. If Adobe doesn't make the right tool, buy something else. Nothing fair or unfair about that. They are not morally bound to provide lens profiles for you. They can only try to get your business and as any commercial venture will weigh the time/money it costs to deepen support against growing their markets and compare to other areas that can use work.

If, I agree with you because I am not sure if I’m capable to do it well and don’t want to be responsible for possible mistakes.

Not capable? If you can set your camera to manual exposure you can make profiles. It is dead simple. One shouldn't be allowed to call oneself a photographer if you are not able to make at least a simple profile that would be more than good enough in the preponderance of shooting situations. Nobody requires you to do it though. I profiled all my unsupported lenses in a few lost hours on a rainy afternoon and I really wasn't very careful, just followed the instructions in the very clear instructions. The profiles work perfectly. I am also not sure why you talk about responsibility. You generate a profile and it will work for you or not. In the unlikely event that it doesn't work, nothing lost but half an hour of your time. You won't get sued because your profile wasn't perfect.

On the other hand I have a lot of lenses I can’t use properly because Adobe did not finish the job. Instead, they “kindly” gave me the option of building my own profiles.

Can't use properly? What a silly thing to say. You still get very high quality raw conversions for lenses that no Adobe or community supplied profile is available for. We all did without all these corrections for decades and nobody really cared except when you would do extreme blowups or architectural photography (e.g. the wall of shame that ken rockwell often refers to in his lens tests), in which case you did a simple manual correction in the lens correction filter, simply used better lenses, or ran that one image through PTlens or another tool like that. I am not often an Adobe apologist, but you can hardly expect them to have access to every lens out there nor time to profile all these. They are clearly adding lenses at a good pace and the option to build your own profiles is something almost nobody else offers and that actually is very powerful as there is quite a bit of variation between copies of lenses.  I think this is a unique and very good feature and makes it far more powerful than any of CS/Lightroom's competitors (that also don't support every body/lens combo, not even all common ones!). I only wish Adobe made it easier to get community profiles when you don't have CS5 but just use Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2010 1:51 PM   in reply to ATLBigRedDog

It is really interesting how something like this suddenly becomes indispensible.  Most of us didn't realize how nice it was until it suddenly became available for many lensses, but not all that exist on digital cameras.

Given that, I would like to add my favorite lens to the list of the "ignored" ones:  the Canon EF 400 mm f/5.6L USM.  I am a birder and it stays on my 7D about 95% of the time.

I know that I don't necessarily need a ready made lens profile, but I have found from using a trial version of PS CS5 (currently using CS3) that it sure is nice.  Additionally, when shooting birds in flight, the bird is normally at dead center of the image (hopefully) and nothing  is in focus near the perimeter of the image to tweak the CA for maximum overall image sharpness.

I will be upgrading to CS5, but I must first get a better computer.  I have found that CS5 really is sloooow on my PC that once upon a time was considered really fast.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2010 7:39 AM   in reply to PBoehme

Understood that you would like a 400 f/5.6 lens profile, but also based on your description (and my own experiences using this lens), the  profile would actually provide little benefit to your images in practice ... perhaps counterintuitive, but true in this case.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2010 7:40 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

--Auto respond

Uw mail is goed ontvangen maar ik ben op dit ogenblik in het buitenland.

Dinsdag 28 september ben ik weer terug.

Tot die tijd zal de mail slechts af en toe worden gelezen.

mvrgr.

Charles Borsboom

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 5:20 AM   in reply to ATLBigRedDog

Request profiles:

Sony A900

Sony Zeiss 24-70 f2.8

Sony 70-300G f4.5-5.6

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 5:21 AM   in reply to elsie piddock

--Auto respond

mvrgr.

Charles Borsboom

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 10:16 PM   in reply to FCBCharly

Please make a profile for the NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4G AF-S. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 10:16 PM   in reply to joncl

--Auto respond

mvrgr.

Charles Borsboom

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points