• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Patch Files

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my Applications folder there's a folder containing the Adobe Helper app and another folder called Adobepatchfiles. This folder is currently just under 1GB. Can anyone tell me what these files are and whether I need to keep them?

OOPS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 10, 2010 Jul 10, 2010

Hi Simon,

Do no delete those the files in the AdobePatchFiles directory. Their presence is required for the successful installation of any

subsequent patches.

In case you delete them, the only way you will be able to apply any patch is by reinstalling the application first.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might not be in the right place - but surely someone knows what these files are?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2010 Jul 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon,

Do no delete those the files in the AdobePatchFiles directory. Their presence is required for the successful installation of any

subsequent patches.

In case you delete them, the only way you will be able to apply any patch is by reinstalling the application first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2010 Oct 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why Adobe loves to make a mess with every installation?

I want my Apps folder tidy with just the icons of software I need not choked with ghost files. Not to mention the other crapware you install without my permission like Growl.

The wise guy that designed the installation process possibly couldn't come up with a better place to stuff the user unfriendly files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with u but for the growl part. I don't think adobe installs that, do they? they may put in an extension so growl picks up adobe activity, but growl is very cool, unlike these patch files. does anyone know if this could be the cause of air update failures in CS5? i am tempted to just delete them, as the updater is not working anyway. cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hero jig wrote:

I agree with [yo]u but for the growl part. I don't think adobe installs that, do they?…

Yes, Adobe does that!  

Here's a public admission from a top Adobe engineer who is as disgusted with the installer team as many of us are:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2964739#2964739

Yes, the installer team (over the strong objections of product teams) installs Growl.

The Macromediatized Adobe also installs acrobat.com.app and AIR behind our backs.  

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It'd be nice to get a straight answer. The Adobe AdobePatchFiles folder not only opens each time I boot up my computer, but also requires a huge amount of space - i.e. it's annoying and needy, not a good combination...

What we have is contradictory advice: Simon (an Adobe employee?)  advocates not deleting the AdobePatchFile, while http://dirtywords.tv/2009/reclaim-disk-space-after-creative-suite-4-updates/ does - and gets mega hits for the posting, so much so that he's asking for donations...

Obviously there's a big need for answers here.

So what's the story???  It would be soooo nice to actually have Adobe chime in since ultimately they're the only ones who know. At least we'd like to think so...

For now I think I'm going to go with the dirtywords solution because Simon's solution, which is: pay us a lot of money and then put up with an annoying and needy situation, is not a solution at all - it's an insult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines