Skip navigation
Docsknotinn
Currently Being Moderated

New Build for hobbyist

Jul 6, 2010 9:11 AM

I have read a number of the very helpful articles on builds here from and I just wanted to start by saying how much I appreciate the time and effort put in to those. My situation does seem to be a bit different from many of the other posters here. Photography is a hobby for me and I would like to be able work with video in the future from my Canon 7D.

Currently I use LR2.7 and PSE6 but plan to upgrade to LR3 a CS5 with this build. My hardest choice has been which HD configuration to utilize. I am not considering SSD's for this build.

Here is the system I am considering;

Corsair Obsidian 800D

Asus PX58D Premium

I7 930 2.8

Thermalright True Black ultra 120 eXtreme air cooler

Corsair 750 Watt PSU

GTX470

12gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz (6x2)

Win 7 Pro

24X CD/DVD burner

I'm unsure about which hard drive to select for the OS.

A 640GB Caviar Black SATA III is a $29 upgrade over a standard Sata II 320 GB 7200 HD.

The other options I am considering are a 300 GB SATA II Velociraptor $160 or a 600GB SATA III Velociraptor $240.

While I do like fast boot times if that is the only performance gain I would see I would opt for the 640 GB Caviar Black.

Media Drive WD Caviar Black SATA III 1 TB.

I'm unsure if I should wait and see if I need a scratch disk or add a third smaller HD at this time for an extra $50-100.

I am planning on a single 24" monitor and I am leaning towards the Dell U2410.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and input.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2010 9:29 AM   in reply to Docsknotinn

Dave,

I would not invest in the upgrade to a 640 GB OS disk. While $ 29 is peanuts, you will not use more than 50 - 60 GB on the OS disk, so I consider it a waste. In addition, a 320 disk runs cooler and quieter.

True, a Velociraptor is faster, but at a premium of $ 160 or $ 240, I would prefer to have 2 or 3 Spinpoint F3 1 TB disks to add to the system, or WD Caviar Blacks. Adding 2 or 3 of those disks will give you better performance than a fast boot disk during PS and editing.

You may have to look at the PSU. 750 W is marginal. I would rather have some safety margin and go for a 850 W version.

If you click on the Overview tab at the top of the Hardware forum, there is a drop down list with articles that may be worth reading.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2010 9:29 AM   in reply to Docsknotinn

Very similar to what I built to work with AVCHD, read http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 3:52 PM   in reply to Docsknotinn

That power supply is not large enough... the GTX 470 has TWO power inputs and draws a LOT of power, plus multiple hard drives

I have similar, with GTX 285, and bought an 850watt power supply

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 4:43 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Look here: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5

Get the Pro version (it costs peanuts) and fill out your components, set CPU load to 100%, capacitor aging to 30% and then add 10 - 15% for safety.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2010 8:44 AM   in reply to Docsknotinn

falcon NW? ouch

if you are buying from a system builder you should at least be buying from one who supports Adobe and specializes in Video editing systems

not gaming!

also for that kind of money you can get on an X58 platform not P55.

the X58 is more robust with much better memory bandwidth, something CS5 needs

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2010 10:04 AM   in reply to Docsknotinn

maybe, however what about quiet components?

not to mention a better price! Falcon is by far one of the most expensive system builders out there

and support!

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points