Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audition coming to the Mac!

Jun 23, 2010 2:57 PM

Today on Adobe Labs ( http://bit.ly/aBbfPW ), Adobe announced that Adobe® Audition®, the all-in-one professional audio toolset for recording, mixing, editing and mastering, is planned to come to the Mac in a future release. Adobe Audition for the Mac will offer a flexible audio editing environment for fine-tuning single files or creating multi-track mixes. It will also deliver sophisticated audio restoration tools, enabling users to quickly transform problem recordings into usable soundtracks. Audio editors and video professionals will now have more choices for audio production, with Adobe Audition available on either PC or Mac platforms. Adobe encourages creative professionals to sign up to be notified when the beta is available so they can test some of the new features and provide the product team with their feedback, at http://www.adobe.com/go/audition_labs.

Key innovations in Adobe Audition for the Mac include native multi-channel support for 5.1 surround sound for professional results, noise reduction and restoration capabilities and new audio effects including de-hummer, de-esser, and volume leveler. All of these capabilities are planned to come to Mac users in the next release of Adobe’s comprehensive professional audio editing tool.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2010 6:33 AM   in reply to ellen wixted

Speculation 1: That means a new version isn't just in the works, but relatively imminent.  They wouldn't announce something like

this unless it was in the bag.

Speculation 2: It ensures that Audition will be available further into the future.

Now, if they can just put together a cheap, simple 'training' version for young men on laptops, they'll be smiling.  That crowd don't know about and don't use Audition.  Pity.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 24, 2010 6:56 AM   in reply to therealdobro

therealdobro wrote:

Speculation 1: That means a new version isn't just in the works, but relatively imminent.  They wouldn't announce something like

You should look more carefully at the website - there won't even be a public beta until Christmas at the earliest.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 7:12 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

That would certainly make it a very merry Xmas!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 7:21 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word 'imminent' - perhaps I should have just stuck to 'in the bag'.  My guess is Adobe wouldn't have announced the release of a version unless they had a lot of confidence that they could deliver.  They wouldn't have that confidence unless they had the software already pretty much in place.  That was my train of thought.  And like I said, it's speculation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 6:56 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

therealdobro wrote:

You should look more carefully at the website - there won't even be a public beta until Christmas at the earliest.

Even if "relatively imminent" is an overstatement, announcing a Mac version is still a very positive sign for those hoping for Audition 4 for Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2010 6:26 PM   in reply to ellen wixted

Nice!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 7:03 PM   in reply to ellen wixted

I watched the announcement from the long hair dude.  It seems that this beta version is a little different and/or faster than the current version.  If my eyes aren't fooling me will there be an update for current Audition 3 owners?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 11:16 PM   in reply to ellen wixted

As SteveG said above, a public beta would be xmas at the earliest. If it's 2011 before it actually happens, that process doesn't rap up neatly in a month or two, so the soonest we will likely see Audition 4 in a ready for prime time version can realistically be one year from now, based on information at hand. I guess I'm thankful not to have to consider it for the next year.

PS. Somehow I couldn't log in with my long standing account details I've had since the forum opened! Back to my first post again... I hope I can still get to my product registration info...Just talking out loud, I can contact customer service.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 10:10 AM   in reply to ellen wixted

I'll be happy to clarify any questions the video and press release may have inspired, although I won't be able to answer a lot of specifics, dates, or much else that isn't visible or mentioned in Jason's videos.

The biggest takeaway, aside from Audition on the Mac, should be the performance and workflow improvements.  Almost all operations are completely non-modal, which means you can be processing in the background and continue working on other assets or projects in the foreground.  Running an iZotope Radius time-stretch operation on a 2 hour file?  Let that thing chunk away in the background while you keep working on other projects.  We're realy taking as much advantage of multiple CPU cores as we can, and reducing start-up time as much as we can.

You saw some of the multichannel file editing in the video, which is really exciting.  Our internal effects are all channel-agnostic, so any file you can open: mono, stereo, 5.1, quadrophonic, 81-channel, etc.. can be used with any of the effects.  The split-screen Waveform/Spectral workflow, cribbed from Soundbooth, makes this work in Audition much simpler.  It's really nice to have that shared view and zoom.  We also carried over the Soundbooth navigation window at the top, and there's a ton of functionality up there.

As mentioned, most of the analysis tools are all non-modal as well, so no more closing windows to adjust a selection, then opening it back up, repeat.  Test different Noise Reduction Profile selections without leaving the effect interface, Run Amplitude Statistics all over the place..  It's very nice.

Thanks again for the encouragement.  It's great to see some excitement about the work that's gone into putting it on the Mac, and I'm sure a lot of you will be thrilled about no longer needing to jump into Boot Camp just to edit a wave file.

Durin

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 11:07 AM   in reply to ellen wixted

Hallelujah! Best news I've heard all year. One question. Will the new Audition still have the CD burning function? I don't see the CD Icon on the toolbar next to Waveform and Multitrack buttons like it used to be.

Thanks,

WR Editor

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 1:45 PM   in reply to _durin_

_durin_ wrote:

Thanks again for the encouragement.  It's great to see some excitement about the work that's gone into putting it on the Mac, and I'm sure a lot of you will be thrilled about no longer needing to jump into Boot Camp just to edit a wave file.

Durin

Oh it's more than just encouragement!  I've become a huge fan of Audition and everything that it stands for and to be able to access w/o restarts will be a dream.  Not to mention that an already great program in AA3 getting even better.  Thank you and keep it coming...very appreciated update!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 8:53 PM   in reply to mattsrx

I like the option of switching to Mac.  I recently bought a new computer, and it might have been a Mac except for the fact that my

favorite recording/editing software was designed for Windows.  Next time.  :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 10:14 PM   in reply to therealdobro

Imagine how much sooner we would get an AA4 for PC if they hadn't wasted so much time on programming for the mac

sigh.....

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 29, 2010 1:44 AM   in reply to Suite Spot

This is true - the development time extends very considerably when you have to program and check for sensible running under a lot of different OS's. It's bad enough that Microsoft currently have about four that people are currently using (or in the case of Vista, struggling with), but then to add another one that's completely off the wall and about which the politest thing I can say is that it's utterly different - well...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 3:19 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

* It adds a ton of development time, true.  But it also makes the product attractive to a wider user base, which enhances longevity, I think.  I don't want to have to switch to another software because Audition stops being marketed.

* And while we're waiting for four point zero, isn't the software basically doing what you want it to do in the meantime?  I bet you can do most of what you want to do on 3.1, no?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 8:08 PM   in reply to therealdobro

Thanks for the reply bro.  Adobe Audition >>>

Nervous Juice

Brennen J Alexander

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 9:42 PM   in reply to therealdobro
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

therealdobro wrote:

* It adds a ton of development time, true.  But it also makes the product attractive to a wider user base, which enhances longevity, I think.  I don't want to have to switch to another software because Audition stops being marketed.

* And while we're waiting for four point zero, isn't the software basically doing what you want it to do in the meantime?  I bet you can do most of what you want to do on 3.1, no?

5 years from now we'll still be able to do what we do now in AA 3.01, not to mention AA 1.0 was capable until new features were added to improve the way you work. Any way to improve that process is always welcome yesterday! Since the PC and Mac have completely different requirements, it would be great if AA 4 could be available for PC and allow the time to perfect it for the Mac take its course, but that really corrupts the release from a marketing stand point. Thanks alot Mac guys!

Oh, as the OP mentioned, I was also curious about the CD View being absent from the screen as well. I really had high hopes for enhanced features i.e. DVD burning for high resolution audio capability, maybe even cue sheet creation. We'll still have CD burning?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 3:55 PM   in reply to buzshaws

As I said, I can't comment on features which weren't directly addressed in the videos.  Could I perhaps redirect this discussion a bit to ask about your CD burning workflows?  What has Audition offered that led you to prefer it for CD creation over other, more comprehensive burning applications?  What percentage of your Audition usage is related to CD preparation vs. recording, editing, and mixing?  Would you expect the next version of Audition to have enhanced CD creation tools, or would you be satisfied with the workflow that has been there for several releases?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 7:39 PM   in reply to _durin_

CDs are the end product of about 90% of my jobs. Also when working with a client they often want a CD of the raw recording to review later. Its nice to not have to switch to a separate CD burning software and Audition’s CD interface is quick and simple and looks more professional than Toast or Nero.  I work with mostly classical music so I don’t need crossfades and all that. Just drag the wav files in and change the pause time to 5 sec. and burn it. I make sure the wav file’s volume are all balanced to each other before I go to the CD mode.

I would be perfectly happy if the new Audition had the same CD mode features as Audition 3. But I wouldn’t complain if it had more.

WR Editor

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 10:50 PM   in reply to _durin_

I still do CDs of my own stuff for distribution to people I know, and I'm going to continue that despite moving to internet distribution, because most people I know personally still listen to music on CDs.  Since I moved to Win 7, I've left Nero behind when it comes to burning backups of my work to disk, and now I'm leaving Nero behind for burning my own albums to CD.  Audition's no easier than using Nero, but I like being able to use Audition for it.  The latest version of Nero came bundled with a new computer I bought, but I've dumped it.

I use Audition mostly for recording, editing, and mixing.  The CD burning thing is less than 5% of my time in A3.

The present CD burning tools meet my needs.  But perhaps I have needs I don't yet know about?

:-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2010 2:06 AM   in reply to therealdobro

I would like to add my vote for retaining CD burning within AA on Windows.  The facility to quickly burn a number of tracks, or extracts from tracks, as happened recently when compiling a disc following preparation/editing within AA, is invaluable.  I do have other burning software but being able to drop a track straight into CD view removes the requirement to minimise or close AA and open the other program.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 9:21 PM   in reply to emmrecs

I hope it isn't a matter of asking how users feel about the CD burning features as a way of feeling out its' relevence because I can't imagine a single reason in this galaxy why it should be removed, let alone become anything less than it is now. Opening up another program is an alternative, but why would any software company want to expect a user to do that, especially since it has always been a fundamental utility built into Audition?  Tight integration from start to finish, that was always the motto and CD burning was included as part of the process. I don't know if there's some kind of "let's get back to the idea of Audition being the editor it was designed to be" going on within internal discussions, but I can't help having a very weary feeling about what might be considered essential. Maybe I'm just getting all worked up for nothing, but anytime one is left to speculate, often such ominous fears inevitably become part of the what ifs. I guess this is my way of saying no additional burning features would be a disappointment but losing it all together would be a tragedy.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 15, 2010 12:54 AM   in reply to Brennen Alexander

Just picking up on a couple of things...

Nervous Juice wrote:

If my eyes aren't fooling me will there be an update for current Audition 3 owners?

Your eyes are most definitely fooling you. We are only talking about a new release here.

buzshaws wrote:

Maybe I'm just getting all worked up for nothing, but anytime one is left to speculate, often such ominous fears inevitably become part of the what ifs. I guess this is my way of saying no additional burning features would be a disappointment but losing it all together would be a tragedy.

I can't tell you anything definite about it at all, but Adobe have always been a bit strange about this - they removed Syntrillium's original CD writing software as a matter of policy - that policy being that they don't ever let beta software out with a release version. And the other thing you have to bear in mind very much here is what other Adobe options there are for writing audio CDs. Personally, I haven't looked into this very far at all, so maybe somebody else could enlighten me?

Yes, I use Audition's CD writing option - but only for quick tests, because with most drives, you don't seem to get all of the lower speed options. What that means is that it's effectively useless for anything that has to go to a glass master, as the error rates from faster writing are far too high.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2010 9:56 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I can help enlighten you a little bit, Steve.  Currently, the Production Premium suite has no means to burn audio CD's.  I believe Encore only supports video formats (DVD, Bluray, etc) so it's certainly functionality that has been lacking in the overall suite solutions for some time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2010 10:13 PM   in reply to _durin_

Hi Durin. Regarding the Production Premium Suite as you referred, given that's primarily a video production environment, CD burning would be of limited consequence since most video is finalized to DVD, but that makes a good analogy. If DVD burning was removed from the Production Suite, it would cause a bit of a stir I'd think, even though you could conceivably do that in another program. Since Audition is the audio production suite, so to speak, lopping off CD burning would be of the same affect.  I kind of get the idea that maybe you were saying that CD burning has been the bane of Adobe applictions in general?  I only am aware of it's state of being in Audition as I'm unfamiliar with any other Adobe products that might also do that (or need to do that).  Is it difficult to incorporate the DVD burning capability used in Encore, or maybe it's a problematic redbook issue or similar?  As SteveG said earlier, it seems there's an issue with lower speed writing in certain units, making it too error prone for sending to a mastering house, but that also doesn't make its' presence obsolete. I bet there's a good many programs that probably don't qualify for creating glass masters proper, they probably just don't admit it!  If anything, I would have never thought that CD burning would be a thorn in the side of Audition. But here I go speculating and presuming again, and I'm sorry but I can be a persistent bugger when I start doing that :-).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2010 3:34 PM   in reply to buzshaws

So if Audition's cd burning capability has too many errors for glass masters, what programs would be recomended for cd burning for glass masters ?? Sound Forge"s CD Architect  ?? Lame ?? Nero ??  Please tell me !!

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 16, 2010 4:41 PM   in reply to djwayne2000

I've had perfectly acceptable results from Nero. Usually when I submit them I send 3 or 4, all done at different speeds, usually between 4 and 12x, and I also use good blanks (HHB). Either 4x or 8x is what they usually end up using, apparently. If you go slower than that, then you tend to end up with more dye splatter, and consequently the BLER goes up again. Of course with Nero, it's also easy to save an image file - another thing that saves a lot of hassle.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2010 7:55 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Thanks, I'll look into it. I may also have to look into a better quality cd burner.  I've got a cheapo one now that seems to work fine, but it's far from a professional grade.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 6:15 AM   in reply to ellen wixted

Hi All,

Well this is all well and good but there was no mention of being 64 bit native...or fixing the drivers to at least work with 64 bit systems let along working with 64 bit plugins and FXs...or did I miss something?

It also didn't state this was AA4...this seems to be AA3 with some Fixes and being ported. or again did I miss something?

What about mapping support for outboard mixers/control heads?

I have so many more questions than answers from their news releases.

And to be honest what about better integration to CS5? Soundbooth is awful when you have to process anything inside it...I have to take all my fxs and processes over to Audition to get anything done right without destorting or negativily impact my sound files.

Cheers,

Ray Adams

FX and Prodution Supervisor

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 17, 2010 6:36 AM   in reply to RayFXit

RayFXit wrote:

Well this is all well and good but there was no mention of being 64 bit native...or fixing the drivers to at least work with 64 bit systems let along working with 64 bit plugins and FXs...or did I miss something?

It also didn't state this was AA4...this seems to be AA3 with some Fixes and being ported. or again did I miss something?

To be fair, it didn't state what the version number for the Mac version is, because that information has not been made public. But I can assure you that this is a new version, not AA3 with fixes, so as far as the Windows version is concerned, it's Audition 4. And it's definitely not a port. The deal for anybody (like me) that presently does know what's in it* is that we can only talk to a limited extent about anything that's actually mentioned in the videos - and nothing else; that's a legal NDA requirement. And quite deliberately, a lot of stuff isn't in Jason's videos. If you want some sort of an idea about why that is, then basically what you get to hear about in that sort of video is the stuff that Adobe actually knows it can deliver at the time the video's made.

I have so many more questions than answers from their news releases.

It's fine to ask all those questions, but it's going to be a bit frustrating for you, because unless Adobe choose to update that information, you won't be getting any answers until the end of the year - sorry.

* I got outed as a beta tester years ago - by Adobe! But it was with my agreement... Most of the other beta testers choose to keep their identities private, so it's only likely to be me you'd hear from if you asked about stuff in those videos anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 6:39 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Thank you for your feedback, I guess your on the beta team.

But not Adobe not stating if this is 64 bit native when CS5 production suite is...makes me concerned.

All my systems are now 64 bit...if Audition isn't native 64 bit then that is a disappointment...or at least make its drivers full compatible...and all processes and plugins 64 bit as well.

Cheers,

Ray Adams

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 07:30:27 -0600

To: radams6@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: Audition coming to the Mac! Audition coming to the Mac!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 11:00 AM   in reply to ellen wixted

Seems sooo many problems running Au on Windows 7....hopefully she runs just as well on my "Unix" system come Christmas time as it does on my 32-bit XP!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2010 4:29 AM   in reply to ellen wixted

Well, thank you so much for NOT letting this great application die. I'm a dedicated Audition (CoolEdit) user for a decade, and I have awaited an update for a long time. There are some bugs (related to VST compatibility) I hope to see fixed, some improvements (related to VST-list organisation) I hope has been taken care of, and a number of new features (related to automation / multi-tracking) I'm dreaming of... Yes, I'll pay!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2010 1:56 PM   in reply to mattsrx

FWIW, I've been running 3.01 on Win7 for about three months now without a problem.  Well, there's been ONE problem - the plugins I was using on XP don't work with Win7, which means that every mix that I've ever done using them in the past won't run on Win7.  Pooh.  But that's not an Audition issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 10:24 AM   in reply to hbasm

Please let us know which bugs you're referring to.  While the VST implementation has been re-written, I'd like to know which compatibility problems you've run into, and make certain they've been addressed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 5:11 PM   in reply to _durin_

If it's my comment you're referrring to, Durin, I don't think you have to.  Back in the day, I bought a handfull of Sonitus Ultrafunk plugs and used them on everything.  Then in 2003, I think, Cakewalk bought them out.  Anyway those old pre-2003 plugs work on XP with Audition 3.0, but don't work in Audition on my new computer running Win7 64-bit.  I think my operating system has outgrown the plugin in this case.

Anyway, since then, I've learned how to use the Audition parametric more properly, and I'm fond of the Izotope compressor plugin as well, and I'm using them for all my mixes, so I'm not using the Ultrafunk plugins anymore.  It's only an issue when I open up an old mix that used them.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 2:57 AM   in reply to _durin_

I think Durin may have referred to my post about VST implementation in Audition 3. Please see my other thread here, that I started to avoid going off-topics for this one. Thank you!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 10:37 PM   in reply to ellen wixted

\o/ Haven't been here in a while.  My first time back and I see Adobe has been busy

It's great to hear that things are still going on behind the scenes even if I can't get my hands on it yet.  Better to hear something then nothing at all...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)