Skip navigation
D Semick
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 Point to file bug

Jul 14, 2010 6:30 PM

I just upgraded to CS5 and noticed that when I use the "point to file" thingy to create a link, it starts to follow my mouse then veers off in the opposite direction ! I can't get it to go near the right side of my monitor. I can make it work if I target it anywhere to the left of the monitor or even on my second monitor, located to the left. I just can't get it to go to the right side of my nice new 23"LCD!

Anybody else see this?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2010 6:43 PM   in reply to D Semick

Which operating system?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2010 5:16 AM   in reply to D Semick

I can't remember the details, but this is a known problem with dual monitors. I seem to remember one problem was caused by having the main monitor on the right. It might also be a Mac only problem, but I can't be certain about that.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 12:17 PM   in reply to D Semick

I'm running DW CS5 on a Mac with OS X 10.6.4.

I have the same problem as the original poster. My screens must be set up so that the second monitor is on the right. The ONLY solution I can come up with that will work is to use the System Preferences to temporarily set up the monitors in the wrong order so that DW *thinks* the second screen is on the left.

This is, of course, painful to work with and completely stupid (I'm being kind.), but it does work.

Also, once it is changed back, the blue line suddenly appears from the bottom of the files panel, but it does not have a usable arrow at the end, so it points only to #mac, which is useless. A screen capture is below. The only way to reverse that is to go back to the wrong screen setup.

bottom.jpg

Still, can anyone from Adobe please comment to at least acknowledge this major fault in the program? The point to file design is great, but only if it works correctly. Instead, the choices are painfully copying-and-pasting or having to retype everything, which could easily lead to a typo.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2010 8:57 AM   in reply to D Semick

You are correct. I run Mac OS 10.6.4 with dual monitors and main monitor is on the right.

I confirmed this issue by changing my monitors to Mirror. Worked fine. After I switched back the pointer started from the correct point but will not drag to my file list.

Called Adobe support to report the  problem and they blew me off. At least is it documented by more than one person.

Is there any place to report bugs for CS5?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2010 10:12 AM   in reply to Barry Rickert

You can report bugs here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Below is my report.

******BUG******
    Concise problem statement: Point to file does not work in Macs with dual screens with main screen on the right.

Steps to reproduce bug:
    1. Set up dual screen with main screen on the right.
    2. Open Dreamweaver.
    3. Attempt to use point to file.

Results: Discover that the end of the arrow winds up on the left screen instead.

Expected results: End of the arrow should have stayed on the right screen and be used to point to the file.

This does not happen if the main screen is on the left, but that is not a solution. Latest updates do not fix the problem.

Thank you.

Also, there is this, but I'm not sure what it's for really: http://www.jivesoftware.com/community/community/features.

I hope that helps. I haven't contacted Adobe support on this as I have never once gotten anything useful from them. I'll save you from reading my views on how Adobe treats Dreamweaver on the Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2010 11:17 AM   in reply to FareThoughts

Sorry to double-reply, but I didn't want to confuse the issue.

I tried re-updating Dreamweaver, and now:

Main Screen on Right: The Point to File target is just as wacky as before, but at one point seemed to be completely dead. GRRR!

Main Screen on Left: The Point to File target works but comes out the design window, not the Properties panel. GRRR!

Mirrored Screen: The Point to File target works as intended.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2010 12:06 PM   in reply to FareThoughts

I put it in again. Maybe the will fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 1:14 PM   in reply to D Semick

Experienced the problem as described today after moving the secondary screen to the left of the main screen.

However, was able to get the arrow to "reset" by playing around with the Display Systems Preference.

This sequence work for us:

- Put the monitors in mirror mode.

- Confirm that the arrow is back and properly situated (as noted by others) and working as expected.

- Quit Dreamweaver CS5

- Set up the two monitors as Main on the right (w/menu bar), secondary on the left, both top of the screen are even (Note: not sure if that is important, but it was after playing with the vertical placement that the bug manifested on our system...it was working with the secondary screen on the left prior to today.)

- Relaunch DW CS5.

- Check the arrow to confirm that it has been reset.

Clearly the bug has to do with where DW thinks "0,0" is on the screen. Our guess is there is a computation where the sign of the offset is improperly computed when the secondary screen is on the left.  Seems like a simple math problem, so it can't be that hard to fix :-)

Sincerely,

RainyDayInterns

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to D Semick

Same problem. iMac 27" main monitor with menus, 22 inch Cinema Display on right. Latest updates as of Feb 15, 2011.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2011 12:00 PM   in reply to Wapmaster

Same error here.

Mac OS X 10.6.6, Dreamweaver CS5 with all updates

iMac 27" with 2nd monitor to the LEFT. Main monitor is on the RIGHT.

I'll submit a bug as recommended earlier.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2011 1:26 PM   in reply to RainyDayInterns

That didn't work for me

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2011 10:31 AM   in reply to D Semick

The solution posted did not work for me either ... CS5.5

Bug is still occurring.

Main monitor is on the right and secondary is on the left. the monitors are not the same resolution.

When I switch the secondary monitor to be on the right, it functions as it should. So, do I wait for a bug fix, or move my monitor to the other side ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 12:17 PM   in reply to D Semick

Upon upgrading to CS5.5, this same problem immediately arose for me.

I didn't experience this in CS5.

I'm running MacOS X 10.6.7 and have a triple monitor setup with my main monitor in the center (as shown in the attached).

DreamweaverPointToFileGlitch.jpg

I added an oversized arrow to simulate where I need to drag my cursor in order to direct the Dreamweaver "pointer arrow" to the correct file.

I hope our pals at Adobe fix this in the next update. It's a bit of an annoyance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 6:42 PM   in reply to D Semick

Oh man, I'm so happy I found this thread.  I was going nuts.  I'm having same problem.

"Point to file" works fine until I plug in an external monitor (left of my Mac).

After plugging in the external display, whenever I drag the the (point to file) arrow to the right, the arrow and expanding line simply disappears before I can get the endpoint to the "files window" on the right.

I can drag as far left as I want (even into my other display), but dragging to the right is impossible.  Once I unhook the external display everything is fine again.  I'm FORCED to put the files window on the left which is NOT what I want to do for various workflow reasons.  I've never had this trouble with DW before in all the many years I've been using it.

This is hindering my workfllow and I’m losing money as I write this.

MacBook Pro 2011 i7 (Mac OS 10.6.6) -  Dreamweaver CS5 11.0  Build 4993

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2011 1:13 PM   in reply to D Semick

The case of the curiouser and curiouser cursor…

I'm the guy with 3 monitors who described in an earlier post how I had to drag my cursor to the far right screen in order to get it to point to the correct file on my center screen.

I recently did some cleaning and had to unplug my left and right monitors from my graphics card. When I plugged them back in, I think I may have reversed them from their previous positions. (My center monitor plugs into one of my graphics cards, and the side monitors plug into the other on my MacPro.)

PointToFileBug.jpg

Now when using the point-to-file feature I can point my cursor directly to the file (simulated as a overly large arrow above) in the files window.

But notice the blue pointer line. It originates from somewhere off the bottom of my left-hand monitor and trails upward into the center monitor.

Now, instead of my cursor having nothing to do with where the point-to-file command is directed, it's the blue line that's irrelevant.

Curious, huh?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2011 1:36 PM   in reply to kivcre

The bug is likely due to where CS5 thinks (0,0) is located in the combined screen space.

We think occassionally, the secondary screen's coodinates are off by a sign (+,-) relative to the main screen's (0,0) origin...especially when placed at specific locations.

The trick seems to be somehow getting CS5 to clean out the stored values and recompute the offset. It is unclear how to do it properly in all cases, but we relayed one set of steps which worked for us...and has continued to work to this day.

One thing to try is to move the main menu bar from one screen to the next to see if that will cause the recompute.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

RainyDayInterns

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2011 9:10 PM   in reply to RainyDayMagazine

@RainyDayMagazine

Sounds like you just moved your external monitor to the right.  I can move mine, but I need to have my external monitor on the left so if I do your trick I can't move my mouse to the left to reach my left monitor.. I have to counterintuitively move the mouse right to go to the left external monitor.

This is stupid.  Is Adobe working on this at all???????????????????????????

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 1:55 AM   in reply to greenbluewave

Not to my knowledge. Very strange if you ask me. Cannot imagine why not.

Barry

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2011 6:41 PM   in reply to Barry Rickert

What really gets my goat is I'm sure it's just some small amount of code/text in a preference or cache somewhere.  I've desperately looked, but haven't been able to find it.  But someone at Adobe must know.  For god's sake, I wish someone from Adobe would let us know if they are ever going to fix this or not.

I can't believe it's 2011 and I'm dealing with something like this in Dreamweaver.  Something so basic, yet so essential is completely haywire and made useless by simply plugging in an external display.  A lot of professionals use multiple monitors; I thought this was a "pro" application?

At this point, I feel stupid for using this Adobe product.  What a huge waste of time and not even peep from anyone at Adobe in at least addressing (much less fixing) this fundamental problem with the product we paid for.

Just.... wow...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2011 10:03 AM   in reply to greenbluewave

I'm feeling a little snarky on this Sunday morning.

Has anyone else noticed how progressively buggy Dreamweaver and Flash have become over the past few releases?

In addition to this relatively minor annoyance with the point-to-file bug, there are far too many crashes with these two go-to tools for me.

I wonder if it's a manifestation of the ongoing conflict between Apple and Adobe that began over Flash implementation on iOS and now OS X Lion.

I've been using DW since it came out back in the Macromedia days. It had always been a reliable workhorse for development.

The horse has become a little swaybacked lately.

It may be time to put it out to pasture and look at alternative apps — ones that work on my preferred platform.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2011 11:21 AM   in reply to kivcre

Agreed, I'm definitaly looking at alternative apps.  Desperately at this point.  I'm even willing at this point to utilize multiple apps and combine their strengths.  Anything is better than mindlessly futzing around with extremely frustrating bugs that Adobe seems to have little or no interest in fixing in a timely manner.

Adobe, do you have pride in your work anymore?  Seriously, at least address this issue, please.  Give us a bone here.  Or, I need my money back.  I paid for a PRO Application.  This is not PRO until this issue is taken care of.  This is an amateurish waste of my time.

We're begging you here, Adobe...  begging...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2011 11:29 AM   in reply to greenbluewave

It is a minor bug...which is why it is not going to get any attention.

Seriously, if you are going to have a cow over something like this, then good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2011 12:15 PM   in reply to RainyDayMagazine

RainyDayMagazine, thank you for your input, but.....

This is not a "minor bug." Adobe's Dreamweaver highlights the point-to-file  dragging system, which is a vast improvement over typing, which has the  potential for a slew of errors. It's one of the main foundational  features of DW, from well before when Adobe purchased Macromedia, and it  separates it from a number of other programs.

And if it were a minor bug, it should be easy to address.

Frankly,  it's been my experience that DW on the Mac is a ******* child. In so  many ways, it doesn't look, feel, or act like the rest of the Creative  Suite applications. It is more similar on the Windows platform, but it  still is a little clunky.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2011 4:15 PM   in reply to RainyDayMagazine

Your anecdotal experience doesn't necessarily apply to every other professional setup.  Your minor bug may very well be a major bug to other developers.  And, as already explained to you by another poster, something so core to the advertised user experience for Dreamweaver should most definitely be fixed asap.  To leave something like this hanging is very unprofessional and tarnishes Adobe (and even the image of developers who choose to use faulty tools).

BTW, has anyone tried DW 5.5 yet?  I wonder if the bug carries over to that or is it finally fixed?  To force customers to pay up more money to fix this bug (if it is indeed fixed in 5.5) is a pretty heinous business practice, IMO.

And good luck to you as well if you ever have to manage a business that deals with multiple configuration issues and complexities.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2011 4:56 PM   in reply to RainyDayMagazine

Adobe has no excuse for not fixing this by now. This should have been on their ToDo list 18-24 months ago.

Adobe 2011 is not the Adobe of yesteryear for sure. Customer service and support continues to go downhill.

I agree that DW has a PC interface.

People get frustrated when they cannot get anyone to listen. When you see that a bug this old it tells you that Adobe has no intention of fixing it. Why, I have no idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2011 5:12 PM   in reply to Barry Rickert

Having been on the development end for 15 years...can tell you that a forum thread with just a half a dozen comments about a bug is not going to light a fire under Adobe (or anyone on the development team) any time soon. It is likely that they have an internal bug list that are into the thousands.

It is not the "fix" that is the issue, it is the regression testing that is time consuming. Getting approval for THAT is what is likely keeping this from getting attention.

***** about swithching all you want, the product is mature, there are no real alternatives, and Adobe knows it. Either work around it or live with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2011 10:24 PM   in reply to RainyDayMagazine

Getting more and more rude and shrill doesn't make you right.  How about if you don't care about this issue, LEAVE the thread and quit harassing us here.  What kind of professional spends time in a thread that has no importance to them?  Just take a hike and we'll handle from here since at this point you are doing nothing more than wasting all our time, engaging in harrassment and being useless.

I would think as a professional you'd have more important work to do, no?  Just let us amateurs worry about this, m'kay?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2011 10:17 PM   in reply to D Semick

Not sure if this was addressed earlier so I apologize if I'm repeating someone else's results.  But, this issue is still happening with the DW CS5.5 update on my computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 4:03 AM   in reply to greenbluewave

That is probably best, but at least we and others pose a possible workaround. All you have done is whine about it. Clearly Adobe is not going to do anything about it. So instead of moaning about Adobe, how about contribute something of some substance toward the workaround of the problem?

Or would that be too much for an amateur?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to RainyDayMagazine

I appreciate the suggestion that we get back on track.

Getting to collaborative solutions from people smarter than I am is the main reason I visit forums.

Just to re-orient, I have a couple of questions and observations…

Everyone having this problem is on a Mac, right? Are there any Windows users participating in this forum?

We're all running Mac OS 10.5+?

We're all using DW CS4, CS5, or CS5.5?

This only pertains to multi-monitor setups, right? Single monitors are not a problem, are they?

With two monitors, can you use point-to-file at all?

I know with my three monitors, the glitch manifests itself differently depending on which video port the monitors are plugged into.

That suggests that swapping plugs around for two monitor users might help. Maybe not.

I've tried moving the menu bar around to different monitors. That doesn't seem to help though I haven't tried every possible configuration of plugs and menu positioning. It does require me to reconfigure my workspace - kind of a pain.

Any brainstorms?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 10:12 AM   in reply to kivcre

Everyone having this problem is on a Mac, right?

- The problem manifested on our MBP attached to a 21" Cinema Display.

We're all running Mac OS 10.5+?

- The problem was observed on 10.5, fixed on 10.5, and had not returned in 10.6, but also have not moved the monitor setup (MBP on the left, cinema display on the right, main menu bar on the right) neither since we got it back working.

We're all using DW CS4, CS5, or CS5.5?

- Seen on CS5, running the same CS5 now

This only pertains to multi-monitor setups, right? Single monitors are not a problem, are they?

- As far as we have experienced...multi-monitor setup only.

With two monitors, can you use point-to-file at all?

- Once reset, works just fine.

I  know with my three monitors, the glitch manifests itself differently  depending on which video port the monitors are plugged into.

That suggests that swapping plugs around for two monitor users might help. Maybe not.

- Whatever will trigger a reset of what the software thinks is (0,0) will solve the problem, but pretty sure it has nothing to do with the hardware.

I've  tried moving the menu bar around to different monitors. That doesn't  seem to help though I haven't tried every possible configuration of  plugs and menu positioning. It does require me to reconfigure my  workspace - kind of a pain.

Any brainstorms?

- Setting the monitors to "mirror-mode" in combination with moving the menu bar was the key for us.

- The thing that set it off (the bug) was moving the relative height of the two monitors in the Apple Monitor Prefs setting. So we would definitely recommend setting the tops of the two monitors to be parallel to start, then set it into mirror mode. Also, don't forget to restart the CS5 app.

Some combination of those steps caused CS5 to reset its origin...which is the goal of all this futzing around.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 11:24 AM   in reply to RainyDayMagazine

> That is probably best

Thank you, I'm glad you're in agreement.

> but at least we and others pose a possible workaround.

Nice insult.  I guess it didn't sink in long, did it?  Never mind what's for the best, huh?

Your idea of a workaround is insulting everyone in this thread that is concerned about this issue by using your own anecdotal experience as the supposed bell-weather for the rest of us.  Then piling on insults and acting like an infant when we don't agree with you about the severity of this bug.

In the meantime, despite your blind assumptions:

• I've contacted Adobe and asked them to look at this issue.

• I've been using tools like fseventer to analyze what's going on when Dreamweaver launches and which files it appears write to, etc.

• I've been using tools like fseventer to analyze what's going on when Dreamweaver is running and an external display is plugged and unplugged.

• I've tried editing different areas within the Dreamweaver plist to no avail (so far).

• Also editing workspace code as well to no avail (so far).

• I also performed upgrades, etc. to see if that would fix it.

• Deleting and digging into Apple display plists, application support, etc, etc. to see if it's an Apple bug translating into a Dreamweaver issue.

I've been doing all this while keeping a log of the work so I was able to report that directly to Adobe and then after compiling more work, I'm going to post my findings here so it will save others time in troubleshooting.  I'm seeing what doesn't work first.  Sorry you have a big problem with that.

> All you have done is whine about it.

If you can't resist making this about me instead of about Adobe and the bug, then please leave or admit you're nothing more than a troll.

> Clearly Adobe is not going to do anything about it.

With complacent users like you around, no wonder if they don't.  Why not just leave then?  You are useless here.  You already told us all how silly we all are here bothering with this "minor" bug.  Your "workarounds" are a joke and you've managed to make this thread about you instead of about Adobe and the bug.  Just drop it, already.  I've dealt with Adobe since Photoshop was in Alpha.  I still have the box for Illustrator 88 I purchased and have been using Dreamweaver since Macromedia days.  I've found over these many years that it's the squeaky wheel that turns.

So, just drop it, please.  You've already agreed it's for the best.  Try to be your best or continue to be your worst; it's up to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 11:32 AM   in reply to greenbluewave

Still just a lot of talk...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 11:41 AM   in reply to greenbluewave

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 11:52 AM   in reply to kivcre

> I appreciate the suggestion that we get back on track.

Thanks, that was actually my initial suggestion to RainyDayMagazine

> Everyone having this problem is on a Mac, right? Are there any Windows users participating in this forum?

I haven't been able to find anyone having this issue on Windows yet.

> We're all running Mac OS 10.5+?

RainyDayMagazine is incorrect and using only his personal anecdotal experience.  For instance, I've noticed the bug in both 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 so far as well.

> We're all using DW CS4, CS5, or CS5.5?

I've experienced this with CS5 and now CS5.5 after upgrading.  And now finding new problems with workspaces in CS5.5 after the upgrade that might be related, but I've started a new thread for that and will only bring that issue over here if a fix there resolves the issues here.

> This only pertains to multi-monitor setups, right? Single monitors are not a problem, are they?

This appears to be the case for everyone including me.

> With two monitors, can you use point-to-file at all?

Yes, but you are forced to move windows within the limited range.

In my case, I have an external monitor (on the left) with a resolution of 1280x1024.  I'm able to drag the point-to-file arrow exactly 1280 pixels from the left edge of my MacBook Pro i7 display before it disappears which isn't far enough to reach the Files Window because the resolution of my MacBook Pro is 1920x1200.  I am then forced to put the File Window on the left external monitor and the arrow reaches there fine anywhere in that display.

> Any brainstorms?

If you haven't already contacted Adobe, please do so.  The more of us that bring this to their attention, the better.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm still analyzing where this errant data is stored.

I'm probably going to boot into a clone when I have time and completely delete files from various places and see what happens.  I'm also curious to see what happens with a clean install of the Mac OS and running Lion which I will be trying in the coming weeks on an external testing hard drive I'll boot to.

The main thing is to find what file/code/plist/etc. Dreamweaver utilizes when it defines the range for the point-to-file arrow.  If we can find that and edit it (or if it can be removed and refreshed) Then the problem will probably be fixed unless there's also an Apple bug contributing which I'm still investigating as well.

But once again, we may all very well be shooting in the dark until Adobe comes in and helps, so contacting them should also be a priority.

RainyDayMagazine suggested "setting the monitors to mirror, moving the menu bar, etc.", but AFAIK that hasn't worked for anyone else and I tried it and it didn't work.  I analyzed changes to the system/dreamweaver with fseventer while doing this, but it didn't render any clues as to why it didn't work at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 11:54 AM   in reply to RainyDayMagazine

I think you both need a hug.

I do agree that this isn't a minor issue. It's a significant detriment to workflow.

We're all quite frustrated by this, and that it's taken up a lot of our valuable time.

I, too, started with Illustrator 88 and have been a loyal Adobe product user (AI, PSD, FLA, et al) since 1990. (I didn't keep any of the boxes though.) It bugs hell out of me that Adobe has been slipping in recent years.

I also personally appreciate both of your points of view.

I am a bit nonplussed that the anonymity afforded by a forum like this can so quickly degrade into insults, both intended and assumed.

I appreciate the research that suggests monitor configuration may somehow trigger the point-to-file function within DW to glitch out.

I also appreciate the methodical trial and error efforts to analyzing and debugging by digging into the plists, etc. and the efforts to inform Adobe about the problem and spur them to act.

But please, stop the urinating contest.

I know, I know…  "He/she started it!"

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 12:05 PM   in reply to kivcre

I have not followed this completely, but what happens if you change your system so that your menu bar is on the other monitor?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 12:14 PM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

Michael, I just tried it on my 3 monitor setup.

The problem still exists, simply shifting from one monitor to the next.

The cursor does not align with the blue pointer arrow.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points