Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 8 is worse than useless to me

Jul 17, 2010 1:18 PM

I have to admit, I can't explain why I'm still trying to make Premiere Elements 8 work.  I should have given up and moved to another software program by now.  I've been on the phone twice with the Customer Service group in India, for over half an hour at a time.  Each time they insist they've solved my problem, yet it keeps getting worse.  Now, I'm not only having uncontrolled and unexplained system crashes, but hours and hours of work are now corrupted and totally wasted.

Here is a list of the problems I'm having:

1.  The primary problem is that Premiere Elements 8 crashes and shuts down in the middle of work with no warning or notice.  It happens after about 3-5 minutes of using the software, so I've gotten in the habit of saving my work every time I do anything, no matter how small.  Needless to say, you can chart my progress with a sundial.  Tedious does not do the process justice.

2.  When I save the work, I will get a Project Save Error. It tells me to save to a new location.  Of course, it won't let me do that, so I have to exit the program without saving my most recent work.  Again, this happens about every 3-5 minutes.

3.  Occasionally, when I'm working with a timeline, as I move the cursor up to the menus at the top of the screen, if I am selecting the File or Edit menu, the timeline will scroll left on its own - if I move the cursor off of the Edit or File menu, the scrolling stops.

4.  When I am working on a timeline, I will get a "System Memory Running Very Low" warning, along with advice to save immediately and proceed with caution.  Of course, when I get that warning, it is already too late, as any attempt to save the work causes the program to crash.

5.  Today, we've seen a new thing, and it's completely destroyed two entire projects.  When I try to open projects I've previously worked on, large sections of them appear as blood red with the words "Media Offline" in a number of languages.  These red sections appear not only on the organizer, but in the timeline as well.  It's as if Premiere Elements 8 can't find the media I copied into the timeline even though I've been working on the project for days and have not moved the media from the folder where it always sits.

Saving work after every task - no matter how small - makes doing anything painfully slow and mind-numbingly tedious, but at least it worked - until today.  Now, hours and hours of work have been rendered absolutely wasted.  I've never encountered a software program with so many fundamental problems.  It's almost as if it was created by amateurs.  I can honestly say that it does nothing well.

As I said, I've been on the phone twice now with the problem solving group in India, and while they are very nice and courteous, they've done nothing to solve the problems.  In fact, the problems have become worse, although I can't say it's because of anything they've done.  Both times, they've assured me that they've fixed the problems, and the software works fine while I am on the phone with them - for about 2 or 3 minutes.  But then, it works fine for me for the same length of time.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I would call them back.  I'll spend an hour clicking on tabs only to be assured that my problems have been solved. Then, 5 minutes later I'm dealing with the same situation - or worse.

I've tried every solution listed on-line for the crashes.  I have the 8.01 update, I have the latest video drivers, I've done all of the steps it recommends.  Every day that I use the software, it performs worse than the day before.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this - I think I've reached the end of my rope.  I doubt these problems can be fixed - maybe I just have a defective copy, who knows.  But, I am very close to demanding my money back and saying goodbye to Adobe products for the future.

Thanks for the forum in which to vent.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2010 1:34 PM   in reply to rcheek6

Thanks for sharing. I'll be moving your post to the No Response Needed forum, since you just needed to vent and aren't actually asking for help.

Two things:

1) Be sure to contact Adobe with your concerns. (We're just fellow users here.) You can reach them by clicking on the Contact button at the very top of this web page.

2) There is a point where it all becomes beating a dead horse. If you're having this much trouble, you've obviously got a mismatch of system, software and video source. Why haven't you gone to an alternative app yet? There are no shortage of options.

Without knowing anything about your machine or what type of video you're dealing with, it's hard to give specific advice. But, as a general recommendation, Vegas MovieStudio is comparably priced and, while not quite as full-featured as Premiere Elements, it's tremendously stable. So at least you won't be spending all your time talking to tech support.

It's also possible your workflow requires professional level software. Both Adobe and Sony make excellent professional apps for only a few hundred dollars more than the Elements version.

On the other hand, if even Vegas gives you as much trouble as Premiere Elements, you may also have to consider that your system is at fault. Which is no crime. It just means your fix is a bit more fundamental. With problems as serious as you describe, that could well be the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 7:33 PM   in reply to rcheek6

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 9:30 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

The promo for Vegas Movie Studio HD says it is Win7 compatible.  However, it does not say if it is compatible with both the 32 and 64-bit versions.

Do you know if it works ok with WIN 7 64-bit?  I need to start working on some converted VHS tapes and need to buy a movie editing software package.  All the bad press on Adobe has really concerned me.  I am thinking that Sony Vegas may be the way to go if it supports WIN7 64-bit.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2011 6:58 PM   in reply to rcheek6

Usually, it boils down to four main issues:

System (inadequate, or inadequately set up)

Assets (trying to edit material that is not designed to be edited)

Project (choosing the wrong Preset for the footage)

OE (Operator Error, and a lack of understanding of how an NLE works)

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2011 3:45 AM   in reply to rcheek6

Since you first posted we have determined that anti-virus software can be a major cause of stability problems with PRE. McAfee is certainly the worst offender in that respect. If you are still interested in trying to get PRE working disable your anti-virus software realtime scanning.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2011 8:20 PM   in reply to nealeh

I'm thankful that the designers of Pre9 are not bridge builders. People would be falling to their deaths.. Irresponsible and unconcerned seem to be their company motto. I'm exhausted with trying to fix this program so I wont even spend the effort to explain all the solutions I've pursued but they have been numurous and way too time consuming.. I run other programs with no where near the same level of difficulty or  frustration.. its a piece of crap

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2011 1:43 PM   in reply to rcheek6

This software is the most obstructive and clunky to use. The free Movie maker in windows is a way of completing an edirt and burning a disc than PE. It is easier for me to edit my DV tapes on a dv recorder than to use a system that feezes and locks out.

I am extremely disappointed with the soft ware that does nothing easily that it says it does.  The way the programme is wriiten is for geeks with no flowing or intuitive flow. I have persivered in just trying to burn a dvd of raw footage, the programme informs me of errors and need to get internet info to continue then the burn is aborted. I want an editing programme that is simple and works without the judder of movie maker and complication of PE.  Editing   std 8 cine film was far easier.

I will put the cost in buying PE down to experiance and try somewhere else.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 9:44 AM   in reply to SteveCine

Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry for the late response, as I have been both out of town a lot recently, and also do not drop by this sub-forum often, but if you have not seen this ARTICLE, it should prove quite useful at eliminating hangs and crashes. It starts with a general checklist of things to do first, and then moves onto troubleshooting, and the "degree of difficulty" goes up, as one proceeds down the list of links.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points