• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I keep getting error message Active x control to Flash Player could not be registered.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2010 Jul 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the mistake, like many of you did, and clicked yes to install the updated Flash Player.  I have spent all weekend so far trying to get it installed.  I only noticed that I even needed this when I couldn't play bejeweled on Facebook.  I have read all the troubleshooting tips on how to install.  I have updated my java to java 6, and I think I have sucessfully installed the Adobe shockwave player 11.5.7.609.  But everytime try to install the Flash player I keep getting the error message that  the active x control to flash player could not be registered.  This is a home computer and registered to me, and I am the administrator, who else would it be?
  When I go to start-run-c:\\windows\system32\macromed\flash -  I can see that I have the following installed:  Adobe Flash player Installer/uninstaller 10.1,  Flash10h.ocx, active x control installed,  Flashutil10h_ActiveX.dll or Adobe Flash Player helper 10.1 the Adobe download manager and 2 text document folders, Flash install text document and install document.  Why do I keep getting the pop up telling me that I still need to install the Flash Player 10 everytime I try to play the game.  And then when I do try to install it I get the same error that it could not be registered?  Will someone please help me with this?  I have tried to install and then uninstalled so many times... I also have set my security to Medium and that really makes me nervous, but I tried to do everything that they were telling me to try.   I have a Dell Pentium 4 processor, Windows XP professional SP3,  windows 32, and use IE 7.  I'm not really afraid to try different ways to try to fix, but I don't know what else to do!!  I don't like to mess with the registry files unless someone tells me how.  PLEASE HELP!!

I forgot to mention that I do use Norton System Works 2006 with Norton Antivirus.

OKETO

Message was edited by: oketo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

This is what I asked you to try

pwillener wrote:

And this is what you say you did

oketo wrote:

I closed all the Norton functions, shut off my firewall, uninstalled the flash player, and rebooted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2010 Jul 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are sure that your user has Administrator rights, then the next thing I would try is

If that still gives you the error, you may need to go through this procedure to fix the registry permissions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have read a lot of these questions/answers regarding what all to do when unstalling and reinstalling the flash player and now I just want to verify I'm going to do this right?  Here are a few questions that I have.  As far a being the system administrator, I went to the user accounts (in control panel) and it has my name with System Administrator below it, so I guess that is where I check right?  First I verified that the Security in the internet zone was changed to Medium.  I then went to the system tray and disabled all the programs that were running there.  I turned off the windows fire wall.  Here are some questions that I have about the add ons that I have and switching them to disable.  When you go to "show" it has 4 different places I can go.  Do I go into each one and disable Adobe files or choose just the one that says "add on's currently loaded on your computer?  I have quite a few in the "without requiring permission" one and there are alot of duplicates??  What about the downloaded active x control choice?  Which files do I need to disable, just the Adobe files?  I noticed that I have an Adobe Acrobat Browser 7.0 and a 6.0.  Should I disable both of these?   What about the java 6 update and I think I still have the older version yet called java plug in 1.6.0 21?  What about the shockwave active x control, do I disable it? or do I need it open for the flash player to install?  Next question that I have is do I need to go itno the add/remove program to delete any programs before installing?  Do I delete the down load Manager, and then reinstall it?  I know then that I will need to  disable my Nortons software, and reboot.  I did want to mention that in an earlier post you had someone check to see if they had the file NPSWF in the flash folder.  I checked mine and I do not have that file.  HUMM... why do you think that is?  I also noticed in the down loaded program files I have the shockwave Active X control file.  When I clicked on Properties the ID was this long number 233C1507-6A77-46A4-9443-F871F945D258, then when I clicked on the Dependcy tab for the file name it has an astrick mark, and under the size it had "damaged".  I had another file there also that had different numbers but the same amount and had the same damaged size.  Should I delete these files?  What do you think happened with those?  Well I will let you ponder these questions for a while and check back with you later.  Thanks for your help so far.  I sure do hope I can get this resolved soon.  I have never spent this much time installing an update before and hope I will never again.

oketo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, you have now confirmed that you are an Administrator user.  But apart from that, you have started to muddle many unrelated things together, and that will not get you anywhere.

What I do not see in your long post is if you have tried my two suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, maybe I am bringing up a lot of issues but what I am asking you is when I reinstall the player wouldn't I need to follow some steps to help me to uninstall what I have already installed?  I have tried this so many times that I don't really know what I have all even got installed on my computer?   I don't do this sort of stuff everyday and need some advise on what I should do, especially when it comes to the registry fix.  Obviously I am doing something wrong.  I did follow your first website but got the same response, that I am not the administrator.  I closed all the Norton functions, shut off my firewall, uninstalled the flash player, and rebooted.  Is it ok now to follow the second step to go to the registry website?  I did not disable anything from the add ons, because you didn't mention for me to.  Please help!!  I will need to go to work now but will continue when I get home.  This is getting real old and am about ready to take it to our local computer store to have them do this for me.  All we want to do is play games on facebook!!!

Oketo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I asked you to try

pwillener wrote:

And this is what you say you did

oketo wrote:

I closed all the Norton functions, shut off my firewall, uninstalled the flash player, and rebooted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2010 Jul 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That worked!  Thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines