Skip navigation
igeterrors
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

Jul 17, 2010 3:09 PM

I installed my licensed copy of Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended today as part of my install a bunch of software after a reinstall of Windows (due to viruses).  I did a completely fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  I've used Photoshop CS3 Extended for quite a while now so I know what to expect on startup but it was previously installed under Windows XP Professional (32-bit). Figured I would give Windows 7 a chance this time around.

Google searches aren't turning up anything.  When I attempt to start the application, I get a window with the title "Adobe Photoshop CS3" (no "Extended" - I seem to recall the title changes later) and the toolbar appears.  However, no splash screen appears and no Product Activation wizard appears - the application simply freezes on an empty frame and a toolbar.  I've tried running Photoshop as Administrator (right-click, "Run As Administrator"), but nothing changed there.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  I tried upgrading to CS3 10.0.1.  Nothing works.  The application simply freezes before it gets anywhere.

I tried calling Adobe Support since this technically falls under installation issues but their phone support systems are down today.  Go figure.

Edit:  I hooked into Photoshop with the Visual Studio debugger and every single thread is executing some variation of WaitForSingleObject() or WaitForMultipleObjects().  The main thread is "executing" somewhere in AdobeLM_libFNP.dll (at address 09619d81 - if I had debugging symbols for CS3, I could provide a function).  There are nine threads "running" at the point the freeze occurs - but all of them are technically suspended due to the functions they are executing - and one thread is in a suspended state.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2010 3:47 PM   in reply to igeterrors

What type of disk are you trying to install from? Is this the Adobe disk or one you copied the software on? If the software was copied from your infected computer chances are that the software may be infected. Same goes with your other software. Same can happen with external drives too.

If you bought PS CS3 from Adobe as a download you can go to the Adobe website, your account and then re-download the software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 5:38 PM   in reply to igeterrors

Look in the Windows 7 event viewer.

The problem will be listed in there with more detail. Post the results here so someone can take a look at it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 8:15 PM   in reply to igeterrors

Go into MSconfig. Under the startup tab look for Adobe CS3 Service Manager and ensure it is checked. If not check it and reboot. Flexnet will not start resulting in PS CS3 not starting unless Adobe CS3 Service Manager is checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2010 4:14 AM   in reply to igeterrors

I don't have CS3 installed anymore. I googled CS3 with your problem and it mentions Bonjour Service.

In msconfig, Startup is there a Bonjour Service installed and checked?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 18, 2010 8:14 AM   in reply to igeterrors

Wow, 6 minutes of video to tell people how to type one command, reboot a computer, and delete a folder.  And they didn't even bother to make the window wide enough to hold the whole command, so people who might need to be shown that level of training will still get it wrong.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2010 9:26 PM   in reply to igeterrors

Did some more searching. Found this about the Twain driver. Maybe this might help.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/thread/2ed 659f5-8f3f-44d8-8a9d-a78f2abb7313

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2010 8:38 AM   in reply to igeterrors

It's pretty obvious by your writing that you know your way around the guts of Windows, so I'm not implying that your doing anything wrong - but - if PS CS3 is your 'main' reason for running this computer, maybe you should go back to XP. I don't know if your Win 7 is an upgrade but if it is, I'd reformat, get a clean install of XP SP3 (let Windows Update do it's thing too) running smoothly, install CS3 (with all its crap too) and make sure that's going good.

And then, Let Windows upgrade itself and CS3 to 7. Worth a shot?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 23, 2010 9:51 AM   in reply to igeterrors

I applaud your tenacity, I really do.  It's clear you're going to make them make it work.  It's still a supported product after all.

However, one has to wonder whether you've spent more than the several hundred dollars in your time (and maybe phone bills) that it would take to just buy the upgrade to CS5.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 24, 2010 12:50 PM   in reply to igeterrors

More power to ya!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 27, 2010 11:38 AM   in reply to igeterrors

Thanks for following up and letting us know what made it work.  I wasn't even aware of the Licensing Repair Tool.  Notably, per Adobe's page prior to the link you posted, it's for:

• Acrobat 8 and 9
    • Creative Suite 3 and 4
    • Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements
    • Director
    • Technical Communication Suite

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status