Skip navigation
emilycornfield
Currently Being Moderated

Need help to wrap label around cylinder

Jul 16, 2010 5:10 PM

I am using Photoshop CS3 extended. I have designed many labels which are to be printed on stainless steel bottles. To save photographing all the labels pasted on the bottles I'd rather graphically wrap them around the bottle in PS. All the labels are the same size and will be applied to the same style bottle.

I have tried web tutorials but none seem to do the job completely. I'd appreciate any help in learning how to do this.

Attached is a label and the bottle. The label is to be affixed to the stainless steel part of the bottle. The top cap part that stays as is, and the bottom stainless part where the label will be affixed.

Thanks so much for your help.

Picture 10.png

Picture 8.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2010 10:43 PM   in reply to emilycornfield

In CS 3 you will have to look for the 3D feature and covert to 3D shape and choose Cylinder easier to find in CS 5

you do this for the label then you make it a layer by copy paste or placing and adjust it with the transform tool to match it up.

Screen shot 2010-07-17 at 1.37.23 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 2:58 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I am posting this on the forum in response for a step by step in a private message. Private messages are finebut someone else might need this just to get them started using the 3D features.

http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/Cylinder.mov

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 8:16 PM   in reply to emilycornfield

You do need the extended version for this feature.

BTW you can do a similar mapping of art to a cylinder in Illustrator. CS-CS5 But I think in this case you will be happier with Photoshop Extended CS5. 5

Screen shot 2010-07-17 at 11.14.30 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2010 12:41 AM   in reply to emilycornfield

There is not a magic button for this. But you can achieve it quite easily in a few steps - and record an action for it so you only have to do it once.

1. Crop off half the label, leaving only the part that will be visible on the front of the flask.

2. Go to Filter>Distort>Sphereize. Horizontal only. 95%

3. Free Transform to fit. Then Transform>Warp>Arch Lower to get the perspective.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points