Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flattening Layers (as in Photoshop)

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2010 Jul 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have finished a booklet and would now like to flatten the pages/layers, so only the visible are showing as in Photoshop. However I cannot find this setting, and do not want to send linked files etc.

Is this possible, any advice most welcome.

B

Indesign CS3 v5, Win 7 Ult.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2010 Jul 16, 2010

Well, the way to get what you want is by exporting a PDF. If it's still an InDesign file, then no matter what:

you will still need the linked image files,

you will still be able to edit objects

you will still be able to move objects around on the page

and so on. There's no way to prevent alterations in an InDesign file, that I know of. Now, if you were to give us reasons why you want this ability to finalize a given page, then we might be able to suggest the ways we'd emulate this InDesign, which ar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flattening is not possible with layers in InDesign.

Unlike photoshop, where things are either text, vector or raster, and can be flattened into a raster layer; InDesign does not work like this.

When you work in InDesign you are making a layout, so you combine your vector, text and raster elements.

Use of layers would be for Master page items, guides, text, graphics and backgrounds (not necessairly in that order).

The combination of things make the layout print ready (and in some cases ready for web publishing).

You cannot combine layers in InDesign to rasterise them, as Photoshop does in Flattening Layers.

The best you can do is to use the Merge layers, but this would only combine all your layers into a single layer, and the text, vectors would remain as is, and not be flattened.

However, you can use Adobe Bridge.

Locate your file in Bridge. Then in Bridge, go to the OUTPUT menu (There should be "Essentials Filmstrip MetaData Output) in the top of the Bridge menu.

When you go to Output there is the option to make a PDF. Go through the settings carefully and make the choices that suit you.

When done, click save and choose your save location.

You will get a fully rasterised PDF with everything Flattened.

If this is not what you want, and you want to rasterise everything your InDesign document, and then send the InDesign document, then there is no easy way. It's a lot of work and it really does not help anyone.

What is the intent and what format do you want to send these files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a lot of work, there, Eugene, to make a PDF from an open ID file. What's wrong with just File > Export > Adobe PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He said he wanted a flat PDF.

It's not really a lot of work. I just used a lot of words

Just go to Bridge, and there's an output section. Fiddle with the settings and create a PDF. It jpgs each page of the InDesign file - ending up in a rasterised version of the indesign file - in PDF format.

But I think the OP wanted to flatten the actual indesign elements into raster in the InDesign file itself.

I'm unsure of what's being asked. It seems the OP thinks that InDesign layers are the same as photoshop layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that as just a single layer with only visible and printing elements showing.  That sounds like a Press Quality, or High Quality Print exported PDF to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right.

The word "flatten" has too many meanings across CSx apps, both express and implied.

The simple fact that the OP seems to be of the impression that "flattening" an ID layout to a single layer for output is an essential step, speaks to the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I have completed a page, I want to finalise it, so more alterations (accidental or deliberate) to made to the pictures. Its also easy to transfer as well, without having to worry that the correct pictures have been packaged.

Thanks for the assistance.

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the way to get what you want is by exporting a PDF. If it's still an InDesign file, then no matter what:

you will still need the linked image files,

you will still be able to edit objects

you will still be able to move objects around on the page

and so on. There's no way to prevent alterations in an InDesign file, that I know of. Now, if you were to give us reasons why you want this ability to finalize a given page, then we might be able to suggest the ways we'd emulate this InDesign, which are all very, very different from what you'd expect in Photoshop. However, the idea of finishing one page of a doc, and then locking it down and moving to the next page in the same document, strikes me as very odd, and not part of any sane print workflow. If you tell us why ("I want to be able to give INDDs to my coworkers where they can add text but not move or replace images"; "I want to not accidentally mess up my own work once I've marked it off my to-do list"; "I want to distribute templates from which people cannot copy objects or text") then I'm sure we can make useful suggestions; there's a heckuva lot of expertise hanging around in these forums, and someone will be able to make a reasonable suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Accidently pressed the correct answer button!

I want to lock it down as it has been proofed and then I know that no alterations can be made to it by anyone including myself.

History:

JPG templates were created, which I have used the selection tool in Photoshop on a Layer Mask allowing me the option to insert photos into purpose created boxes. These templates have been placed into my InDesign booklet, which I then "ctrl D" to place an image into the page as well as adding some text to a text box.

I have been working in preview mode.

Issue:

I have a big issue at the moment that is getting to me. I have exported to PDF with a 3mm bleed. However although the templates are correct. The photos that overlap the page are showing in my bleed! Where I would like the bleed to be at the front, so to speak so that I have the required 3 mm bleed line around each page.

I hope that I have explained this clearly and that you can help. as I really do not want to have to edit a large number of images!!!!

Thanks

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barywhy wrote:

Issue:

I have a big issue at the moment that is getting to me. I have exported to PDF with a 3mm bleed. However although the templates are correct. The photos that overlap the page are showing in my bleed! Where I would like the bleed to be at the front, so to speak so that I have the required 3 mm bleed line around each page.

It's time to communicate with the print house doing the poduction. 3mm bleed is customary; as I read you are bleeding on all four sides and are worried about the bleeds into the spine crossing over. You should be expected to do no more and no less - the manufacturer will handle the pagination and YOU should communicate with THEM as to their approval for the bleeds. If necessary, alter your document setup > bleed to 3mm Top, Bottom & Outside; 0mm inside (Spine).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Its the print house that wants the 3mm bleed. They have also been very helpful and therefore do not want to take advantage!

I managed to sort the issue bu dragging the boxes and making them smaller, in effect cropping the image! There is no bleed accross the spine, its just on the outer sides.

I am currently exporting and making changes until happy.

Thanks for help. However feel free to keep posting if there are other options.

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barywhy wrote:

I want to lock it down as it has been proofed and then I know that no alterations can be made to it by anyone including myself.

Why not rename the file FileFinal.indd  or   FileReadOnly.indd and set a Read Only property/attribute in explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done the rename, as that gives me my backups.  But have not done the attribute part.

I guess I just need to move on from Photoshop and understand InDesign from the beginning.

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you ever submitted my shop a book from Photoshop, it would be the last project we ever did together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines