Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Lightroom 64-bit has stopped working"

Jun 14, 2010 7:26 AM

This is probably already a big thing, but........

Installed LR Beta 2 when it was available.  Worked fine. Again, I DID NOT ENCOUNTER THIS ERROR IN BETA 2.

UNINSTALLED it when LR became available and installed the "real" version of LR3.....

I've now gotten the following twice in two days.

This was this morning:

Faulting application name: lightroom.exe, version: 3.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x4bf6e72b
Faulting module name: CameraRaw.dll, version: 3.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x4bf6e6cf
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a1500
Faulting process id: 0x334
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb0b620614028c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3\lightroom.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3\CameraRaw.dll
Report Id: 16c02085-77bf-11df-8f5b-00261888426e

This was yesterday:

Faulting application name: lightroom.exe, version: 3.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x4bf6e72b
Faulting module name: CameraRaw.dll, version: 3.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x4bf6e6cf
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a1500
Faulting process id: 0x1b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb0a9ab2a5d48f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3\lightroom.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3\CameraRaw.dll
Report Id: 00c065f9-76dc-11df-8f5b-00261888426e

The system is an ASUS P6T with i7 920, 9GB of memory, 250GB SATA system drive, 4 1TB SATA data drives.  O/S is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

In BOTH cases so far I was NOT USING Camera Raw.  I'm IN LR walking through the grid, editing images.  Nothing even REMOTELY

interesting being done.  Just browsing and basic editing.  I get the popup and the only option is to "close"...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2010 7:41 AM   in reply to DavePinMinn

I don't have an answer, but I'm encountering a similar thing.

I've had LR2 and have been using the beta LR 3.

Just purchased LR3 this morning and after downloading it, my machine (running Windows 7 on a PC) won't launch it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 1:00 PM   in reply to frizzysky

Try deleting your preferences, located at Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Lightroom/Preferences in Win 7. The preferences file is named "Lightroom 3 Preferences.agprefs".  If you have the beta prefs there (named "Lightroom 3 Beta Preferences.agprefs"), delete those as well.  Then restart Lightroom.

Another thing to check is whether you have any plugins installed.  If so, try removing them (or  moving them to a different location temporarily) to make sure none of  them are interfering with LR3 startup.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 4:51 PM   in reply to DavePinMinn

I've been getting Win7 Pro 64-bit i7 Craches as well. Like you said, I will be developing doing nothing out of the ordinary and it will lockup or crash. Restarting will sometimes crash again very quickly. Then things will be OK for quite a while. Very odd behavior and very difficult to isolate to a set of actions.

I'll try the preferences delete thing, but this seems like a grasp at straws.

I had some issues in Beta 2 that I could isolate to specific actions. This is the same result, just more erratic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 5:57 PM   in reply to M Behrens

Generated a new preferences file and ther is no resolution. It may be worse now.

Pretty sure Adobe will have this on their radar - but LR3 is unusable for Win7 6-bit Users.

If there are Win7 Pro 64-bit uasers that are having good luck with LR3 and actually developing RAW files - not just scrolling through the library. Please let us know your sysyem specs, maybe we'll see a pattern.

FWIW, I'm working with Canon G10 and 50D RAW files.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jun 16, 2010 2:19 AM   in reply to M Behrens

For what it's worth, I'm using Lightroom 64 bit on a Toshiba X500 laptop running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit with no problems at all.

Intel Core i7 cpu with 8GB of RAM.

Pretty small catalogue (compared to most, no doubt) - 5,700 images (no video files)

I've not had the problems others have reported with things like slowness in the spot removal tool.

(In passing, most impressed with LR3 - particularly the new process version - and the huge amount of work that's clearly gone into it.)

Stephen

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2010 7:13 AM   in reply to Stephen_Christy

How many of the folks having issues are on dual monitors, utilizing Monitor 1 & 2 in LR?

I was processing a batch of images and was going through the first pass rotating the sideways images (yes, I have my Canon G10 set to not auto-rotate). I found that in the Library module with Monitor 2 enabled the images would rotate ~60 deg of the 90 deg and stop, I would have to click on the next image or anywhere on screen for it to complete. With Monitor 2 disabled the images would rotate completely each time.

My normal usage of Monitor 2 is to have the Grid turned on and use it as a lightbox for navigating the library.

My issues with the Beta 2 release were related to Monitor 2 as well.

I'll be disabling Monitor 2 and we'll see if that resolves the constant crashing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2010 7:40 AM   in reply to M Behrens

No issues whatsoever with LR3 here. Agreed, it seems little bit less snappy than 2.7, but I'll just blame that on the heavier algorythms used to improve image quality.

I have roughly twentythousand raw files in my catalog right now.

Using intel e5200 @2.5 ghz

8gb ram

win7 64 bit.

I do keep a clean system though. I did a clean install of win7 and deleted the previews of my LR2.7 installation. Simply updated the 2.7 catalog.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2010 8:04 AM   in reply to M Behrens

No problems on Win7 64, E8400, 8GB, Nvidia 8600GT driver 257.21, dual monitors, intuos 3 driver 6.1.2-4.

100GB cache on seperate drive. I didn't use v2, but I've had no problems at all with the beta or retail versions of LR3. I have near instant scrolling of the catalog (7,000+ images), no lag in development. I will note there was an initial time delay for the computer to build the previews for the catalog, but that's a one-time deal.

Graham

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 1:25 PM   in reply to DavePinMinn

I had lightroom3 64bit running with no problems.  I noticed that my wacom graphire was not functioning.  I downloaded and enabled the new driver from wacom

's web site.  I then got the subject error message.  I also got this message in photoshop cs4.  I uninstalled the program wacom tablet from control panel add remove programs and now both applications seem to be working.  I believe that there is a compatablity issue with win7 64bit, photoshop  64bit and lightroom  64bit.

I hope someone finds this information relevant.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 2:49 PM   in reply to DavePinMinn

Just for info, I am trying out the trial version of LR3 on my Windows Ultimate 64-bit machine with 12G of RAM, dual displays. No problems so far really, but only used the Library function so far; (new to the program so don't know anything about the other 'developing' functions). Anyway, the only odd behaviour I have noitced is that it takes two clicks to maximise the LR desktop on my dual-screen system, i.e. first click maximises the LR desktop but it doesn't actually fill the screen, so 2nd click then makes it fill the screen. Cheers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 5:20 PM   in reply to DavePinMinn

Here is another consideration, completely out of left field which just came to mind. I have automatic backups going 24/7 using a NAS on my network. I know that sometimes this backup drive interferes with applications because obviously, if it is acessing a file, (has a file open), to copy ot the backup drive, this file is not available to another application. I have set my NAS up to not backup any system and application files for this very reason, and, I only backup my data files. Hpowever, this can still cause a problem at a particular instant in time with an application trying to get the data file open at the same time the NAS may be saving it. This may be the cause of intermittent program failures, if you run a NAS on your system. Just a thought. Bye.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 5:33 PM   in reply to FasterElectron

FasterElectron wrote:

Just for info, I am trying out the trial version of LR3 on my Windows Ultimate 64-bit machine with 12G of RAM, dual displays. No problems so far really, but only used the Library function so far; (new to the program so don't know anything about the other 'developing' functions). Anyway, the only odd behaviour I have noitced is that it takes two clicks to maximise the LR desktop on my dual-screen system, i.e. first click maximises the LR desktop but it doesn't actually fill the screen, so 2nd click then makes it fill the screen. Cheers.

This video from Adobe TV should get you up to speed. http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-lightroom-3/create-stunning-images-/

Graham

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 5:37 PM   in reply to FasterElectron

And I just thought of even another possibility: On my machine I have some new "green" hard drives, (I think they are Western Digital's). These drives 'go to sleep' after a while of inactivity, (to save power). I notice that when trying to access some data from WORD or EXCEL for example, when the drive has gone into sleep mode, it takes up to about 6 to 8 seconds before my data will load. After that, while I am working, there is no delay in loading or saving. So here again an application may stall because it times out waiting for a drive to spin up and supply data???. Just a thought. Bye.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2011 10:19 AM   in reply to DavePinMinn

Yesterday, I was processing some work on LR3 (Windows 7; LR3: version 3.5) and suddenly a message appears that basically noted windows was closing the application; no known fix available.  I tried a second time, same results.  So, I spent hours checking out the machine; no identified problems.  Back to LR3.  I uninstalled and re-installed; however, this second time I only updated to 3.4, not the current one 3.5.  So far things appear to be working. 

I continue to process my RAW files, moving back and forth to CS5(all plug-ins are located in this program). 

Still not certain why LR3 crashed so suddenly. 

Guess I'm not alone with this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 6:06 AM   in reply to DavePinMinn

Win7 64-bit with Lr 3.5 working fine...processing, cataloging, etc.

Win7 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, Intel Core i5-2410M 2.9GHz

AMD Radeon HD6850M 2Gb DDR5 RAM

750Gb HDD, 12% full

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to +becs

Can you explain the preferences thing abit more? I have tried to find this thred under users/username/appdata, etc for over 2 hours and can't find any such thing on my computer. I'm getting ready to give up on this program.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to Dustywoodbooger

Not sure if you are on Mac or Windows - but this kb article explains where to find the preferences files for any OS:  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84313.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to +becs

I have p.c window 7. I have printed the page you refer to, I must be a real idiot, because it still makes no sense to me. I have typed that address into every search box I can find and it leads me nowhere. Can you hold my hand abit more?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to Dustywoodbooger

Sure, I'll give it a try. 

1. Go to your Start menu

2. In the search box, type C:  (this will open an explorer window showing you the contents of your hard drive)

3. Double click on Users

4. Locate the folder associated with your username (for example, mine is "becs").  Double click on that

5. Now double click through the following folders:  AppData > Roaming > Adobe > Lightroom > Preferences to locate your preferences file.

Note - the AppData folder is hidden by default on Windows 7, so it may not appear for you.  If that is the case, you can change the visibility in Control Panel under Folder Options.  Go to the View tab and change the setting to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives (about the 6th item down in the list). 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to +becs

+becs, that did it. I kept getting stumped at my user name, there was never aa appdata behind it, thought i was losin' it. Did what you said, deleted my pref and I'm runnig again. THANK you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to Dustywoodbooger

Now, I don't suppose you could tell me exactly what I did wrong before I go to import a new file and screw it all up again?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to Dustywoodbooger

It just seems to happen occasionally to a small subset of the user community. I don't think anybody knows how to make it happen. If they did, somebody like +becs would fix things in LR so that it doesn't happen.

Best I can tell you is not to worry about it.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

If it happens again, is the repair always the same?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to Dustywoodbooger

Most things that get fixed by deleting the Preferences file don't seem to recur. (Either that or people already know what to do and don't come here for help, which is entirely possible, now that I think about it. )

It's one of those fixes that works sometimes, so keep it in your tool kit.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

'people already know what to do and don't come here for help'      I have exactly the same problem with 3.6 (bought Lightroom 3 as a final product, no messing with Betas) on a 64 bit PC.  I delete AGPREFS over and over again, but the problem comes back. I came here hoping for a slicker soluton. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to OldSteve2

Steve,

Try this. (Courtesy of Beat Gossweiler)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3671450#3671450

It could be that you are repeatedly incorrectly trying to create a catalogue and ending up with an invalid one, as explained in that thread.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

Thanks, but I the thread refers to an error message that names the invalid file name - I do not get any message other than '.....not responding'    How can I find out the name of the catalog/ file that is causing the problem?   I had hoped that my latest deletion of LRCAT had done the trick, but I am back to normal today.  Is this a way to get us to buy Lightroom 4?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to OldSteve2

Steve,

You should never delete the .lrcat file, unless you know you don't want it.  That's the file where all the changes (metadata, keywords, develop changes) are stored.  If you need to troubleshoot Lightroom with a different .lrcat file, then rename or move the existing .lrcat file until you can verify that it isn't one you want to keep.

Try holding down the ctrl key while starting Lightroom.  You should be prompted to select a catalog file.  That dialog also gives you the option to create a new catalog file.  Try creating a new catalog, and see if that works.  If Lightroom starts, then you can try the same set of steps, but select an existing catalog.  This will allow you to bypass a faulty catalog if that is causing the problem. 

if the problem persists, can you be more specific about what you are doing in Lightroom when the error appears? 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 2:39 AM   in reply to +becs

Thanks - for your help.  Apologies, I meant I had deleted AGPREFS, not LRCAT.  The problem occurs when I import. The CPU graphs shown by Task Manager show minimal use, so I guess the PC waiting for something. 

The exact monment occurs when I click on Import and select one or more photos. If the photo is on an internal hard disk, after a delay of about 3 minutes the system returns to normal; an external disk or card freezes  Lightroom for much longer, maybe 10 minutes or more.  The problem is not that the system is waiting for an external hard disk that is switched off - it is the same whether my backup disks are on or off. Whilst Lightroom is showing "Lightroom 64 has stopped working" I can switch to other applications and they work normally.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to +becs

Excellent! Thanks +becs and the rest of you... this worked!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points