Skip navigation
ewatterson
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

Jul 21, 2010 8:56 PM

Can someone help me please?

Is there a problem with Adobe Dynamic Link and CS5?

I've watched all the videos I could find and it never worked as well for me as I saw on the videos. I finally got the Dynamic file to work after importing the footage into After Effects but couldn't seem to work in Premier and After Effects at the same time. I finally made the comp an imported it into Premier, but now I cant drag it from the "Project" window down to the actual timeline so I can work with it.

Can anyone help me?

Below I have attached a small sample screen shot of the comp if that will help.

Thanks in advance anyone!!!!

sample.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2010 9:09 PM   in reply to ewatterson

Have you tried double clicking on it? I'm not

sure, but it would seem like that would be a sequence rather than a clip. I haven't used it

but in ae, you have all your different tracks that make up your composition. Can't hurt.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 9:25 PM   in reply to ewatterson

Try removing the slash in the name.  Forgive me because I'm not that familiar with dynamic link, but if that is a "file" the slash may be confusing it as a "directory."

Hope that helps.  Best of luck...

Erik

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 10:49 PM   in reply to ewatterson

What happens when you drag it down?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 4:12 AM   in reply to Pyramid Pyro

Try removing the slash in the name.  Forgive me because I'm not that familiar with dynamic link, but if that is a "file" the slash may be confusing it as a "directory."

That's Adobe's naming scheme for Dynamic Linked AE comps, as well as how layered PSDs are named. What is before the slash is the composition name, and what is after it is the After Effects project name. These aren't assets in the "traditional" sense, so the forward slash has no impact on file use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 4:19 AM   in reply to ewatterson

Try dragging the AE comp to the New Item icon at the bottom of the Project panel; is a new sequence created with the AE comp placed in it?

With the the DL'ed comp loaded into the Source Monitor (the one on the left), press either the Insert or Overlay buttons; they're located just to the right of the "jog wheel" in the monitor panel. Does the comp clip land in the seqence? If not, make sure that you have your Source and Target tracks targetted properly; that means clicking to enable the gray V/Video and A/Audio buttons at the head of the Timeline panel.

Like this:

The nature and content of your DL'ed comp has no effect on its usability in Premiere; as far as PPro is concerned, it's a flattened video clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 5:05 AM   in reply to ewatterson

What is the Media Duration of the DL'ed comp, as it appears in the Project panel?

Also--asking the obvious, but I have to check--have you saved the AE project after adding the comp? If so, try removing the AE comp from your PPro project panel, and then import it again. Also, try creating a new/second comp in your AE project, and attempt to DL that. Same result?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 5:06 AM   in reply to ewatterson

That's not an 'X'; that's a chain link The green icon with the intact link means that Dynamic Link is working. If it wasn't the link would be broken and the icon would be red.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 5:53 AM   in reply to ewatterson

Check the file path on the composition in After Effects.  Look in the project panel.  Does it have any "??????" in the path?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 6:52 AM   in reply to ewatterson

Yes...Dynamic Link has a history of losing file locations so the path shows "?"

when it doesnt know where the original file is coming from.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 7:59 AM   in reply to ewatterson
    to test it I tried to drag another clip that was recorded in with the extension ".MTS" and it was able to be dragged down.

Can you explain what you're referring to here? Do you mean you tried another MTS file in Premiere, or that you created a new comp in AE and used a different MTS file in that, which you then successfully used in Premiere?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 8:38 AM   in reply to ewatterson

I've read the other posts and am replying to your original post.  You seem to be troubleshooting a workaround - DL didn't work from PR

to AE, so you got a project created in AE, DL'd to PR, and not behaving properly.

If you get no resolution to that, I would create a test project in PR, and start the AE DL from there.  That should work, and might be easier to troubleshoot..

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 9:54 AM   in reply to ewatterson

With both Premiere and After Effects closed, go to the folder where your MTS files are stored. Delete all CFA, PEK, and MPGINDEX files you find there, and empty the trash. Restart Premiere and reopen your project, then wait for the yellow bar on the bottom right corner to stop flashing. When it's done, open up After Effects and let it finish indexing. Check if your files are back online now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to ewatterson

Hello Friends,

Adobe Master Collection CS5 and cs5.5, unfortunately, is creating a problem of this kind.

Typically, this problem, an aging installed operating system for all sorts due to the program a lot.

Way to solve this, is this: (I assume we have a full system requirements)

First, check the format.

Install the operating system.

Later, as a first step install your graphics card-driver.

Vista and W7 to reset the level of the UAC.

Close the Windows Firewall.

PC "as the second step in your PIN and then close the deficit, or Adobe Master Collection CS5 cs5.5 please run the installer as administrator.

Then you set up other programs that need.

I solved with this method after I poured a lot of sweat.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points