Skip navigation
baobabinc
Currently Being Moderated

Extract background missingin new PS CS5

Jul 25, 2010 5:16 AM

I recently upgraded my very old Photoshop to the new CS5, but my extract capability is missing.

I have looked in Filter, Layer, Image, and can't find it anywhere.

When I go to the help section, there is a link to download a plugin, which I have done, but now what???  It is still not there.

That is one of the main reasons that I upgraded, so that I could use the new extract function.

Anyone know what to do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2010 5:59 AM   in reply to baobabinc

http://layersmagazine.com/photoshop-cs5-review.html  Hey mate, here's an extract from the above link. It should help you out.  Edge Detection: The Extract filter was left out of CS4, although it was available as a separate install. (Rumor has it that the new Edge Detection feature wasn’t ready for CS4 and was pushed back to CS5.) While the Extract filter got a lot of bad press, it was really due to misuse. Luckily, Photoshop CS5 does a better job than the filter. Selection of complex edges, such as curly hair, has always been a problem. The Edge Detection setting is now part of the Refine Edge and Refine Mask dialogs. The feature is fairly easy to use: make a selection or a layer mask, open the Refine Edge dialog (Select>Refine Edge), and use the Refine Radius tool (E) to brush over the desired area. (There’s an Erase Refinements tool [just press Shift-E] in case you don’t like the results and want to try again.) In addition, there’s a Smart Radius checkbox with a Radius adjustment slider to make selections even easier. This tool makes short work of some tough selections, but it’s not for every image. I found it worked great on some images, but not others. You still might want to bone up on using the image calculations for advanced selections.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2010 6:11 PM   in reply to baobabinc

Thats alright!

I always find when I am learning something new that I sometimes need to see it in action. I went through and watched a whole lot of videos on the new CS5 when I first got it. Check out the video below by Adobe Evangelist Terry White, it's going to rock your world!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2010 8:43 AM   in reply to baobabinc

Actually, it would be much more likely to help someone else if it was posted in a Photoshop forum, where more Photoshop users would be likely to see it.

This is a forum for CS Review, not for Photoshop.  Please post Photoshop questions in one of the fine Photoshop forums.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2010 4:51 PM   in reply to baobabinc

No worries at all.  PS. Can you mark my reply's as either The Answer or as Helpful if you found them so?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points