Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

your computer does not have sufficient memory resource to publish your file

Jul 14, 2010 12:46 PM

I just downloaded CP5 trial version to see what's new.  Is it just me or is it really buggy?

I received 'Adobe Captivate has stoped working' half a dozen times but managed to convert a small CP4 project (35 slides not a lot of animation or voice over) and tried to preview it.  I got the message 'your computer does not have sufficient memory resource to publish your file'.  I'm working on a new laptop with 4 GB of ram and I still get that message even when I kill everything else and only have Captivate running.  I'm working with Windows 7 on 64-bit OS.  Has anyone else run into this?  How much memory does CP5 draw?

Needless to say I won't be upgrading any time soon...

Best,
Aimee

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2010 12:58 PM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

Hello,

Did you run Captivate as administrator? I'm working on a similar configuration, same OS and CP5 works fine, even with several open projects, Photoshop, Soundbooth and a couple of other programs running. It seems very strange to me. Do you have a dedicated Graphics card? CP is rather video-heavy, I made sure to have a 1GB card, but 512MB would do also.

Lilybiri

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 7:43 PM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

Hi Aimee,

Can you please check the "VM Size" of AdobeCaptivate.exe in Windows Task Manager (or better if you have "process explorer" as it gives the exact virtual size) at the time when you get the message box saying "does not have sufficient memory..." (check the VMSize before dismissing the message box). This message generally comes when the memory allocation failure happens inside Captivate process. I just want to make sure if it is really consuming so much of memory.

Regards

Rahul

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 10:35 PM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

Hi,

Sorry for this inconvinience. Could you please share your project file with us using acrobat.com  so that we can have a look at this?

Thanks,

Sikandar

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 8:35 AM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

You could upload it to acrobat.com.

-Sikandar

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2010 7:30 PM   in reply to Sikandar Pradhan

Anyone with solution unto this?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2010 10:26 PM   in reply to salvador_sorianojr

Hello Aimee,

Did you share the file on Acrobat.com? Or you can mail me the file at viswanat@adobe.com

Thanks,

Vish

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2010 10:52 PM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

Hello There,

Can you consistantly repro this issue? In that case we can try doing a remote connect and investigate further. If you are able to get this issue consistantly with any file, please share the file and that would help us in reproducing it locally.

Thanks,

Vish

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2010 9:25 PM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

Hi Aimee,

I just tried opening two copies of your project in Cp5 and previewed them about 20 times (along with doing some minor modifications). But could not reproduce the issue on my machine.

In your previous post you had posted a snapshot of TaskManager. But that was not much helpful as the "Memory" column just displays the amount of RAM occupied by the program. What I wanted to know was the "Virtual size" of the process at the time when the error occurred.

Can you please download "process explorer" software and check the column named "Virtual Size" as shown below (When you get the error dialog).

publish.JPG

That might give us some more idea, else we will do a remote session.

Regards

Rahul

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 7:51 PM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

Hi Aimee,

That was helpful, now it is sure that its not running out of memory.

We will investigate this issue soon and will keep you posted.

Regards

Rahul

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 11:27 PM   in reply to rsharma_champ_81

Hi Aimee,

Can you please try disabling the swf compression and use Cp for some time to see if the error still happens.

You can do this from Preferences->Project->SWF size and quality -> Compress SWF file.

Regards

Rahul

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 10:52 PM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

That's a useful information, We will investigate this soon.

Regards

Rahul

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 6:33 AM   in reply to rsharma_champ_81

Is there a resolution for this?  I'm having the exact same issue occur when attempting to publish.

VM Size at error occurence is ~257MB

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 7:04 AM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

Unchecking those options seem to help.  I'm still hoping that there's a fix though because we have to compress all of our swf files before we upload them to our servers.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 7:22 AM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

I'm using a 32bit WinXP SP3 machine.  I have 4GB of RAM even though I can't fully utilize it all with the 32bit OS.  You're not the first person I've seen say they've had issues with 64bit and CP 4/5.  I had a few really frustrating issues with CP4 as well.  It's hard to find the common denominator with some of these issues sometimes.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 4:22 AM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

Can you uncheck only  'advanced project compression'  and try with 'compress swf file' checked on.

Also how long do you work with captivate before you see this error? Does it happen immediately or after you have worked for some 20 mins?

A short summary of operations that you commonly perform before you see the error will also be very helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 5:08 AM   in reply to 4madhats

Hi,

Could you give us more information on this issue so that we can investigate?

Can you uncheck only  'advanced project compression'  and try with 'compress swf file' checked on and let us know whether you are able to reproduce the issue?

Also  how long do you work with captivate before you see this error? Does it  happen immediately or after you have worked for some 20 mins?

A short summary of operations that you commonly perform before you see the error will also be very helpful.

Thanks,

Jayashree

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 5:54 AM   in reply to JPCaptivate

With the 'Advanced Project Compression' option uncheck, the error does not seem to occur.  At least I have not had it occur in about 7 attempts.  With both options checked, I can publish immediately after opening a file and see the error popup.

I have noticed that it occurs more frequently with files that were upgraded from CP 3/4 than with files created from scratch in CP5.

I'm not exactly sure what the advanced project compression setting does or how well it actually affects the over swf size.  If it's minimal, then I don't see the need to have it checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2010 2:40 PM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

I came up against this problem today myself.

With much trial and error, working through the solutions presented above,  I figured out that it was the audio files that were causing my problem.

The PowerPoint slides I imported into Captivate 5 already had the audio inserted. Which works fine -- it seemed.

When Captivate tried to compress the SWF, I kept getting the insufficient memory error.

I removed the audio from the PowerPoint slides, imported them back into Captivate, and inserted the audio in Captivate. Now the project published with no problem.

I realize this won't be the solution everyone's problem, but I hope this helps someone...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2010 11:05 PM   in reply to M*I*K*E

Hello M*I*K*E,

Is  it possible to share the PPT file with the Audio where you are  observing this problem? The Audio you were using in PPT, was it a WAV file? Also, unchecking the "Advanced Project  Compression", did it work for you? Please send the file to viswanat@adobe.com

Thanks,

Vish

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 5:37 AM   in reply to 4madhats

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs. I need some more information.

Do you get this error after you have kept Captivate open for a long time and worked on this project or any other for quite sometime? OR do you see the error as soon as you launch Captivate and open and publish the project?

Some of you responded that you see this issue in an upgraded project (Cp4/Cp3). Pls. confirm whether this issue is seen even in a new project created using Captivate 5.

-Jayashree

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 10:56 PM   in reply to JPCaptivate

Hi,

I currently have the same problem. My company bought this product, and I worked on it every day for the 3 last months.

This software have many bugs that you can get around, but currently I can't finish my work because if this memory problem. (I have captivate 5).

The only solution is to save the swf separetly, but it's no very convenient.

Any ideas how to solve the problem??

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 11:59 PM   in reply to ClimenceSE

Hi,

This is an issue we are currently investigating and have had difficulty isolating the cause. We would appreciate it if you could get on a Connect session and walk us thru the project. Please suggest a time and date (any time next week) for the same. You can mail me directly on shameer at adobe dot com

Thanks,

Shameer

Shameer Ayyappan

Sr. Product Manager - Captivate | Adobe eLearning Suite

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

http://www.facebook.com/adobecaptivate

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 9:44 PM   in reply to S Ayyappan

well, what about tomorrow, 2pm, sydney hour?

Regards,
    Clemence Guilluy

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 5:13 PM   in reply to ClimenceSE

Hello,

I am also experiencing this issue.  I have combined 3 files originally created in Captivate 4 into one file in Captivate 5.  When I try to publish the Captivate 5 file, the progress bar indicates it's at 50% generating slides, then I get the "your computer does not have sufficient memory..." error message.  I tried unchecking both of the options mentioned in the previous posts but it did help.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 5:53 PM   in reply to Crazy_Typist

Hi,

It will help if we can set up a Connect session with you also. Let me know what time would be convinient next week.

Mail me at shameer at adobe dot com

Thanks,

Shameer

Adobe Captivate Team

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 12:36 PM   in reply to S Ayyappan

Has this issue been resolved or is it still a work in progress?  I'm still having issues both with upgraded (from CP4) and new CP5 projects.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2010 10:59 AM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

To the best of my knowledge, it's still a work in progress.  I was able to duplicate the issue for the engineers and they did indicate further work was needed.  Using the clear cache option in CP5 does help some.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 11:31 AM   in reply to ASG_Captivater

My similar message states, "Error   Your computer does not have sufficient memory resources to compress the SWF file."

My project contains 80 slides and was created in Captivate 4.  I'm also trying to Preview the project when I receive the message above.

I unclicked the "Advanced project compression" and "Compress SWF file" buttons.  The project contains an audio voiceover which was created right in this project.  The project also contains buttons on almost every slide for advancing to the next slide, going to the previous and pausing and playing.

Please advise how to preview and finally publish the project.

Thank you,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers