Premiere Pro CS5 crash when adjusting audio gain

Aug 2, 2010 1:18 AM

Premiere Pro CS5 crash when adjusting audio gain

The same on another workstations.

Have any idea?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2010 5:39 AM   in reply to sVGA2k

Can you describe what's in the system, particularly the audio card that's being used (if not mobo)?  Some more information would be really helpful.

Have you cleared prefs and media cache by chance?

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2010 7:25 AM   in reply to sVGA2k

I have this same problem with a couple of different .wav files... Bugs galore...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2010 8:40 AM   in reply to sVGA2k

I am also encountering similar errors when editing audio on a fairly new HP Z800 (October 2009)

My system configuration is;

HP Z800

Windows Vista 64 Business with SP2

Dual Intel Zeon Quad Core @ 2.80GHz (X5560)

24 Gigs of Ram

Raid 0 of two 10K drives (System and Applications)

Raid 5 of three 7500 drives (Video Store)

Dual Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 in SLI configuration

Realtek High Definition Audio is built into the HP motherboard I think.

I am also using a Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse Breakout Box

Within Premiere it makes no difference which audio device I select (Realtek or Blackmagic) Premiere will sometimes crash when making audio adjustments.

Premiere will also sometimes crash when making video edits, happened 5 times yesterday! Had to save after every adjustment.

We are currently editing AVCHD that has been transcoded to P2 DVCPRO HD file formats along with DVCPRO 50 Tapes. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 4:20 AM   in reply to sVGA2k

Can you disable the m-audio drivers and see if the problem remains with your motherboard audio?  Alternately, you could look to see if there are any updated drivers from the m-audio site.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 4:22 AM   in reply to JACK_NICHOLSON

To troubleshoot and identify the problem, try using Premiere Pro natively (without blackmagic) and see if you can reproduce the problem.  If you can't, then I would say that the issue may lie with blackmagic.  Also, make sure you're using the latest drivers from bmd's website.

Best,

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 5:47 AM   in reply to sVGA2k

I am able to replicate this crash here, following your audio channel remapping, with P2 MXFs of both DVCPRO50 and DVCPROHD. With four channels of mono, there is no problem; if the audio is remapped to two stereo channels, Premiere hangs for a moment and then crashes. I'm on 100% different hardware, by the way.

Maybe not the answer you wanted to hear, but it's looking like it is not system-specific.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 6:28 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Same here with 4 channel audio recorded by the Sony PMW-350. As Colin wrote, if the audio is remapped to 2 stereo channels, Premiere crashes immediately and quits ungracefully.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 7:20 AM   in reply to sVGA2k

Yup. Same here. A mono .wav when interpreted as stereo will always crash when trying to change gain.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 7:08 AM   in reply to sVGA2k

All I can tell you is that I watched your videos and tried to reproduce the problem on both Mac and PC systems.  Neither of them crashed in the least.  It worked flawlessly.

I'm using a MacBook Pro and an HPZ600.  One was using 5.01 and one was using a beta version.  laptop had 4gb of RAM, desktop had 24gb.

Did you try clearing preferences and cleaning your media cache as I described in my first response?

Best,

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 6:57 AM   in reply to dradeke

Hi Dennis,

I just had a go and can reproduce the problem straight away too.

Created a new project then a new XDCAM EX 1080p25 sequence. Imported a short Sony PMW-350 clip. Dragging it straight to the timeline and then setting audio gain is OK (Source channel mapping preferences set to mono).

However, if I Modify - Audio Channels and then set track format as stereo or mono as stereo and then drag the clip to the timeline and right click - gain, Premiere crashes about 1/2 to 1 second after the audio gain dialogue box appears. Error log below if it's useful.

Asus Rampage III extreme

Intel i7 980x @ 3.33GHz

24Gb ram

Windows 7 64 bit

Using onboard sound - Realtek HD 6.0.1.6037

Incidentally, I tried with both the default Windows 7 audio drivers and then the Realtek HD drivers installed (I'd previously forgotten to install the Realtek driver when I built the PC)

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          12/08/2010 14:28:51
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:     
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe, version: 5.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x4bf119d2
    Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.4926, time stamp: 0x4a1750b0
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000001dfcd
    Faulting process id: 0x16ec
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb3a21ad8357e4
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729 .4926_none_08e1a05ba83fe554\MSVCR90.dll
    Report Id: 8b5dda37-a615-11df-8de4-20cf3011131b
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-12T13:28:51.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2401</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer></Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Adobe Premiere Pro.exe</Data>
        <Data>5.0.1.0</Data>
        <Data>4bf119d2</Data>
        <Data>MSVCR90.dll</Data>
        <Data>9.0.30729.4926</Data>
        <Data>4a1750b0</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>000000000001dfcd</Data>
        <Data>16ec</Data>
        <Data>01cb3a21ad8357e4</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe</Data>
        <Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0 .30729.4926_none_08e1a05ba83fe554\MSVCR90.dll</Data>
        <Data>8b5dda37-a615-11df-8de4-20cf3011131b</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 11:32 PM   in reply to SiliconPixel

Please try updating to Premiere Pro CS5, and let us know whether your problem is fixed.

See this page for details about the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update:

http://bit.ly/djiyh4

Please report bugs that persist after the update here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2010 4:29 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I've applied the update - and though many of the bug fixes are great, I'm still getting audio crashes as described above.  I have an Edirol FA-101 with the latest drivers, though it still crashes with the WDM drivers as well.    Has anyone else has any better luck with this and the 5.02 update?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 12:54 PM   in reply to sVGA2k

Premiere Pro cs5 cashes instantly on audio gain adjust .

updated to cs5.02

i950

12gb ram

raid 5 + independant read write drives

exteme board

red camera files in 4k timeline  editing in  4k r3d files in real time

system has been stable for months suddenly now crashes endlessly on audio changes

especially stereo .wav

have cleared cache

audio drive is default premiere sound

has been brilliant until now .... eek

anythoughts

and now it crashed on first play after a sucessful mono edit

it just keeps getting better ...

Tried editing wav files  via right click edit in soundbooth  , and  guess what

yep Premiere crashes...

next ?

and now crashes on export to h264  ...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 11:22 AM   in reply to Digitalcanaries

Please install the Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update and see if it solves your problem. For links and full info on the update, check the Adobe Premiere Pro Work Area blog post here: http://bit.ly/gRb5ZU

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2010 7:34 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Installed 5.0.3. Update but unfortunately didn't solved the problem. Crash after setting two Mono-Lines as Stereo in an MXF-File with XDCAM-HD 422 Video. I'm using a Blackmagic Intensity, but the crash is happening also on "normal" Sequences, without Blackmagic. Hope there's a fix coming soon, because this is my every-day-work-scenario.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2011 10:27 AM   in reply to sVGA2k

The same thing happens to me. Upgraded to 5.0.3 and the same error. Is it being resolved?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2011 4:13 PM   in reply to sVGA2k

We too are getting on both our HP z800 systems running CS5. Is there a fix in works?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2011 4:39 PM   in reply to drbeebo4470

You will want to document the behavior, and file a Bug Report. That will get this on the Adobe "To Do" List. Adobe takes these very seriously. Adobe employees might not still be following this thread, and if they are, might not be in the Bug Report group.

I urge that each of the three above posters, file one, with full documentaion and all useful info, so that Adobe can replicate the issue in the lab, and then develop a fix for it.

Do not expect to be directly contacted, unless more info is required, but rest assured that Adobe is then working on the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 3:44 PM   in reply to sVGA2k

It's been about 8 months since my post and it seems obvious that a solution had not been found. I have tried several configuration changes, updated to 5.02 and now 5.03... and I'm still experiencing several problems related to audio editing. I am going to take Mr. Hunt's advice and submit a robust bug report and

I urge everyone else to do so as well!!

Here's the kicker... when adjusting audio gain with "keyboard input" I can crash both my Z800 workstation and my M6400 Laptop within 1-3 entries. However, if I use only the "mouse" and adjust it in either the effect controls panel or the timeline I can't get it to crash. The crash is a "Runtime Error! R6025 - pure vital function call" our IT guy has chased this down and it relates to the "UIFramework.dll". By the way he also updated the C++ Runtime Library to the latest version.

Are Mac users having severe issues as well?

|
    Mark as:
  • Admiral Cook
    169 posts
    Jul 3, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2011 12:34 AM   in reply to sVGA2k

Same problem here with 5.0.3. and Mono to Mono as Stereo remapped clip.

Audio Gain crashes Premiere after this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 10:50 AM   in reply to sVGA2k

So here we are 9 months later... 

Riddle me this Adobe...You want us to purchase a dot release to fix software we purchased a year ago? Fool me once (CS4) shame on you! Fool me twice (CS5) shame on me... I waited patiently for the last year hoping 5.01 then 5.02 then 5.03 would finally fix my troubles. Then the big save all CS5.5... only $399.99.

It's not like I'm working on a barebones $1000 system. We even have 4 similar systems with our counterparts on the East Coast- They have the same exact problem. What computer you ask...You know, the fancy HP Z800 with the NVIDIA FX4800 card that is part of the recommended Production Premium system specs. Plenty of ram all of the fixins.

I don't know what else to say. oh ya

ADOBE- Save Early - Save Often

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 12:12 AM   in reply to JACK_NICHOLSON

Yes it would be nice if the people at Adobe would try their best to fix these things. There are professionals like me trying to do their living with these pieces of software.

FinalCutPro now seems a decent option.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points