Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What Perspective Grid settings for something like this?

Aug 4, 2010 2:53 PM

This has been confounding my for more time than I care to admit. How would I set up a Perspective Grid for something like this? I don't know where to begin. I'm used to drawing simlple buildings from an eye-level view, but obviously with something like this, the viewer is looking way up .

windows.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2010 3:02 PM   in reply to Cheryl Graham

Looking "way up" is no different from looking "way out." (Not to be confused with looking far out, man!--I made a funny.)

I don't think you can tilt the perspective planes (but I haven't played around much with the AI implemenation yet), but you could do that after the fact.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2010 3:48 PM   in reply to JETalmage

Yup, this is just a simple 1-point perspective. I see where you'd be thrown off though.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2010 8:40 PM   in reply to Cheryl Graham

You'll probably find it easier to rotate the photo to match the grid.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 7:43 AM   in reply to Cheryl Graham

Hello Cheryl,

This is technically a 3P perspective; you mentioned the viewer is looking way up - such a scene is called worm's eye view.

windows2.jpg

I tried setting up a grid over the image. The point where the two red lines meet is the third Vanishing Point. The two other VPs are to be located by extending the two yellow and the two green lines till they intersect in the direction shown by the two arrows. However this will be at an infinite distance and this way the view can be thought of as 1P perspective as Jet & Michael have opined. Remember that camera lenses can create skewed and distorted perspective. Illustrator's grid cannot match that. Moreover Illustrator's grid is also limited by the application's canvas size i.e., the entire grid has to fit in the canvas. When drawing on a sheet of paper you can actually visualize one or more VP out of your drawing sheet.

Anyway the closest approximation to this kind of perspective can be achieved in Illustrator by placing the image on the top of the canvas such that the 3rd VP lies almost on the top edge of the canvas. The eye-level in case of worm's eye view is zero. So the horizon line coincides with the ground line and both lie virtually on the bottom edge of the canvas. The left & right grid will then let you to draw the walls of the building as above.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 12:14 PM   in reply to Cheryl Graham

Here it is in 1-point perspective, but initially the photo has been turned to match the grid rather than trying to get the grid to match the photo.

Screen shot 2010-08-05 at 2.11.28 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points