Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFCOMPILE and CF version compatibility

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All

I have a question regarding CFCOMPILE and ColdFusion version compatibility. We would like to distribute our software sourceless and have tried to use the CFCOMPILE command line utility.  We used the "deploy" option.  We did this is ColdFusion 8.0.1 Developer.  It seems the compiled code works just fine for most other 8.0.1 systems, but seems to die on a CF 9 system and even some other versions of CF8 depending on the JRE version. 

My question is: Is there a way to compile source code that is backward compatible so I do not have to force my users to use a certain version/build of CF? If I compiled the software in version 9, will it work with all previous versions??  I tried to search the net, but there isn't much info I can find on this topic.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as my understanding goes (which is not very far, and I've not touched this stuff for a few years), the JRE version is as significant as the CF version. Trying to run code compiled with a later version of the JRE won't work on an earlier version of the JRE (even between small point releases). However going the other way should work OK. compile it on the lowest revision of the JRE that your version of CF supports, and it should work on later versions...

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, what kind of errors are you receiving when running the compiled code on CF9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Can you tell me if there will be a code incompatibility if the development environment uses the CFCOMPILE utility has coldfusion 10,  64 bit Windows 7 and the deployed environment of the files has coldfusion 10, 32 bit Windows 7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2013 Apr 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Francine... wrote:

Hi, Can you tell me if there will be a code incompatibility if the development environment uses the CFCOMPILE utility has coldfusion 10,  64 bit Windows 7 and the deployed environment of the files has coldfusion 10, 32 bit Windows 7?

The easiest way to confirm this is to try it. However I would doubt it would work, no.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2013 Apr 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I figured out a solution. Thanks for the response.

Francine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

So, what was the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation