• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving CS5 To CS3

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone give me a answer to this Question I Can't get a yes or no answer anywhere I have been told that If you get CS5 you can't save back to CS3 is this true I am Mainly concerned with Illustrator....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PWL,

When you Save As, you should get to an option to save as an older version, including CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have confused Illustrator with InDesign. Illustrator can save .ai files for many previous versions, including CS3. InDesign can only save InDesign files for the current version but can export a file readable by the last previous version only; so InDesign CS5 can export only as far back as InDesign CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to find the same answer. Reference: Illustrator-- When doing a save as you do not have the option of saving as Legacy, or CS3 or CS4. I recently had to convert an InDesign document and was able to export using an IDML reference. This worked for the service bureau to open on the other end. I have a similar situation with Photoshop, and I am not sure if the service will be able to open if they only have the older versions. Anyone have any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dennis edward wrote:

I am trying to find the same answer. When doing a save as you do not have the option of saving as Legacy, or CS3 or CS4. I recently had to convert an InDesign document and was able to export using an IDML reference. This worked for the service bureau to open on the other end. I have a similar situation with Photoshop, and I am not sure if the service will be able to open if they only have the older versions. Anyone have any suggestions?

In Illustrator the version option is the second dialog box when you choose Save as. Choose Save as, Select the .ai (or .eps) format, click OK and then you will be presented with a dialog asking what version you wish to save to.

Indesign, as previously posted only allows you to export to 1 previous version. Choosing Save As in Indesign will not allow you to save as a previous indesign version. You must choose Export and then choose Indesign Interchange (inxx) format.

Photoshop does not really maintain versioning like other applications. It's primarily .psd files that may contain some version-specific features. You can set the preferences to "always" maximize backwards compatibility to help ensure Photoshop documents open better in previous versions. And, of course, a flat tiff file is a flat tiff file and a jpg is a jpg, no matter what version of Photoshop you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 does not export out to the inxx format. What to do, what to do. Any other ideas out there to back save CS5 to CS3 and still allow the file to be edited etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Illustrator forum.

In InDesign CS5 you can't save directly to CS3. You need first save IDML then open it in CS4 and downsave from there. But you might loose a lot of formatting that way. Depends on what kind of styles you have used in the layout. When your client or co-worker needs a CS3-file, you should use that version as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved a upper_version_illustrator_file down to cs3.

But I found a problem after that.

Can anyone please give me an idea what happened?

The original file was made by cs4.

I wanted to edit something on this file but I only had cs3.

I downloaded a 30_days_trial version of cs5 to make cs4_file into cs3, so that I can edit the file.

After I saved the original file into cs3 format,

I opened the cs3 file from illustrator cs3,

edited something on this file and saved it into cs3 format.

When I opened the edited file from cs3, it looks fine. but

When I opened the edited file from cs5, it looks wrong.

On cs5, the file looks as same as the original file, not as edited.

-Mac os 10.6.6

-what I edit is…  I add one simple star object onto a map

Does anyone have similar problem?

Does this happen on non_trial_version as well?

How can we avoid it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It depends on the objects the file contains and on features you used to create it. You might show a screenshot of of what's wrong before and after. Guessing would be more precise then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines