Skip navigation
Stephen Mepsted
Currently Being Moderated

No Picture Previews in Lightroom 3?

Aug 9, 2010 12:57 PM

Hi there I have just installed Lightroom 3 - on PC laptop - and imported some images from the Picture Folder on the OS drive

Everything seems to be fine except (and its a major except) there are absolutely no thumbnails or previews of these pictures appearing in Lightroom to work on. I have tried this with a few different file formats - can anyone help? Thanks very much. Steve Mepsted

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2010 1:27 PM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

Am having the same problem and im going crazy trying to figure this thing out. Am on PC running Vista Sp2 all system requirements are good.

I uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I deleted previous catalogs and created new ones did the import and no picture thumbnails are showing in neither

library, develop and print module. This is becoming an annoyance and am almost at the brink of uninstalling completly and go back to 2.0. I been googling this problem since last week and can't find any answers, this is my last place to get an honest answer. Without the preview function I can't see what am working on and the adjustments it needs. Please Help. In desperation here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 1:31 PM   in reply to ice2blek

Make sure you have the latest video driver for your video card installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 1:32 PM   in reply to ice2blek

What are you seeing, instead, a gray area that LR thinks is showing a picture?

Try setting your display profile to sRGB instead of using the monitor manufacture's profile.

This could be an issue with your video-card drivers so make sure those are updated.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 1:56 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Thank you all for your help. Im downloading the updated driver as i type. Yes lightroom is showing

grayed out boxes and i believe it thinks is showing me the images.

Will post back with results after updating the driver

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 1:59 PM   in reply to ice2blek

What monitor profile do you have set?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 2:10 PM   in reply to ice2blek

Driver is up to date. No luck with images showing. Still Gray out boxes

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 2:39 PM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Steve and all you guys are the best. THank you all.

Steve your the man dude. God bless.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 2:52 PM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

sRGB is nice to test with, but it's probably worse than having no profile at all.  Personally, I use no profile and calibrate by eye with charts, but the right way is to get a hardware calibrator to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 2:08 AM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

Using:  LR3 (just upgraded) Had the grey boxes but now IT WORKS and Thanks a million eveyone (a very special thanks to Steve for the detail instructions - my default was also the sRGB Virtual Device model profile )...I have been fighting with this issue for a couple of months.  In fact it was the original reason I did not download any additional updates to the LR2 version I had and reverted to the original verison as purchased.  I thought going to LR3 would solve the problem.  When I first upgraded to LR3 I could see all my pictures....but then I downloaded an udpate and my pictures were not viewable (only the grey boxes as others have referred to).  I was not willing to go back to LR2 having just bought LR3 so I called Adobe Tech support.  The Adobe tech that took control of my computer (a very friendly young fellow) was apparently headed in the right direction but he never solved the problem.  I watched what he was doing (via remote control) on my screen and recall that at one point he was doing something with color profiles.  I don't fully understand color profiles so I could not keep up with what he was doing. After about 90 minutes he told me it was a Microsoft problem...I told him that did not make sense since I had already seen the pictures in Lightroom after I first upgraded and it was only after getting the udpate that the pictures were no longer available.  I thanked him and went back to looking at grey boxes. After diddling with it and doing someting (I have no idea what!) I was able to view the pictures a couple of times but after each startup the grey boxes were back.  It has been very frsutrating until now.  Based on the great input from you guys I am assuming that somehow my computer was jumping between color profiles which is why I was able to see the pictures on some startups but not on others.  What I have to focus on now is why the color profile was shifting since I never went into that areas (would not have known what to do).  So...while my issue is resolved for now...I may still have a problem (shifting color profile) but at least I know where to focus.  By the way...I am not knocking Adobe or the Tech who tried to help me through remote control of my computer - - -somehow although he was onto the right solution it was not working. At any rate...I am one happy camper right now since I can now access my son's engagement pictures through LR.  Thanks again.  BTW...to Steve...on my machince there is a save screen that comes up when I "Click on ADD".  I just closed it and then was able to click the Device tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 11:54 AM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

OHMYGOSH, thank you sooo much. You're a genius! :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2011 6:38 AM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

Folks I had a similar error (no preivews), but my problem was completely different.  I wanted to post the resolution so save others valuable time.

After wrestling with color profiles, different monitor drivers, and websearches for over an hour, I decided to check file permissions.

Yes, file permissions!

I had several lightroom catalogues on a remote drive.  I got a new computer.  When I tried to open the catalogues, LR told me very definitively that I may not open the catalogue(s), and suggested I check permissions.  After chaning the permissions on the lrcat file, voila!  I could open the catalogue.  But NO PREVIEW.

Note that LR keeps previews in folders next to the parent lrcat file (by default, it's called "* Previews.lrdata" where * is your catalogue name).  So in my Windows 7 explorer window, as the admin user, I changed the permissions for that folder to allow read and write access for all.  And that did it!

So check your file permissions as well!  Particularly if you're on a new computer or logged in as a different user!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2011 5:52 PM   in reply to daysixguy

I had to create a new catalog.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 11:24 AM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

I tried this but to no avail:( I am still only seeing gray boxes!! GRRR HELP!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2011 5:49 PM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

This also worked for me. What a gift these forums are! Thank you Steve.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2011 6:47 AM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

Hi I am not sure where to find an updated driver for the video card on my

machine a Dell Studio 17 running Vista

can you tell me where you found a driver?

For Dell computers, you can go to the Dell support site (dell.com, then click on the support link). Enter your service tag number, and then click on the linke for drivers and downloads (or something like that).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

ALTERNATE ISSUE/SOLUTION

I was experiencing nearly identical issues with photos displaying as blank rectangles in LR3.  I pursued all the suggested color management resolutions, updated drivers, restarted everything etc.  Nothing worked.  I then noticed while moving LR files around that "previews.db-journal" was corrupt and contained zero bytes of data.  Windows displayed a corrupt file error message during the moving of these files.  After deleting this file, moving all of my other LR files to a new drive, re-pointing LR to my new catalog, and restarting LR, LR ran like a champ.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

I need to know what OS your running in the answer you gave to the gray box question. I can follow this all the way to the ICC profile where you click ADD. I get another screen that wants me to fill in a file in Documents. I have chosen everything and copy/pasted the ICC number that is to be the new default but I can't get to the next step due to this. I know this was posted a couple of years ago but it seems you are the only one to figure the issue out. I'm running Win 7. Everything was working and now I have no idea as to how to see the pics before importing. I like to put my pics in the proper file to begin with.

Any help would be appreciated, hope you're still monitoring this.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 11:31 PM   in reply to Stephen Mepsted

Hi

I have a very similar issue. It is not the the Display setting however. I have moved the library folder in OSX and then tried to start the lighroom pointing it to the new library location. Afterwards all previews were grey. However when moving to the Developer rider, the picture appeared and i can work on it again. Thereafter it also appears again in the previews. Seems like all previews are missing or now in grey. tried to optimise library but after 6 days of process ongoing i stopped with no changes at all to the library. Have about 60k photos in the library. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

This also happens with newly imported pictures,

the ones that were appearing clearly in the library are grey at the next start of the project.

running lightroom 5 with imac and latest osx

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points